I get an email saying I have new matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get an email saying I have new matches

but when I come to check, I don't see any new matches, just the same ones I had before. What do I need to do to see the new matches?
    Thanks, Carol

Are you sorting by match date?

Comment

I've been receiving emails almost daily saying there are new yDNA matches. Also have notifications at the top of the kit home page (the little red circle) that say there are new ones, too. BUT... sorting by date doesn't show them in my case. This is across the board in 4 different kits.

<shrug>
      Kathy

Comment

Each match notification email will specify what level of testing the match is at. So if the emails state a new Y-12 marker match was found you would need to be certain that you are viewing your Y-DNA 12 marker matches. I don't know if this is what the problem is but it is one of the first things I thought of.

-Darren
        Family Tree DNA

Comment

The match notification emails are notoriously unreliable. I get them for some tests (mtDNA, Big Y) but not others (Y-STR matches, Family Finder), even though I have the same settings for all tests.

One thing I've noticed about the notifications I do receive is that the email often comes out before the match is actually posted to my account.

You might try checking back two or three days after you get the email. The match may show up by that point.
          Last edited by Sarmat; 14 October 2015, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarmat View Post
            The match notification emails are notoriously unreliable. I get them for some tests (mtDNA, Big Y) but not others (Y-STR matches, Family Finder), even though I have the same settings for all tests.

One thing I've noticed about the notifications I do receive is that the email often comes out before the match is actually posted to my account.

You might try checking back two or three days after you get the email. The match may show up by that point.
            Yes, unreliable.

And my experience is that e-mails are sent later, so when using New Since: one does not see the new matches, unless the date is manually adjusted to an earlier date. ( Didn't we just say unreliable? )

Mr. W

Comment

Last week I had an email informing a new HVR1 match so checked and had no matches since 22/12. Today I got another email saying HVR2. Again I checked and no new match has come in.

Comment

I would check your advanced matching list, sorting by most recent.
                If a match has privatized their results they will not show on your match lists, but they will show up on advanced matching shaded grey with only last name (no contact/identifying info) and matching level.
                Now technically, I would think, you should not be getting notifications for these, but you maybe...

Edit
                correction, you will have to manually scroll through list, as advanced matching does not have match date and privatized matches are only shown on web page, they are not included in csv or excel download.
                Last edited by prairielad; 7 January 2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks.

They now show in my usual list of matches dated 1/5/2016

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                  I would check your advanced matching list, sorting by most recent.
                  If a match has privatized their results they will not show on your match lists, but they will show up on advanced matching shaded grey with only last name (no contact/identifying info) and matching level.
                  Now technically, I would think, you should not be getting notifications for these, but you maybe...

Edit
                  correction, you will have to manually scroll through list, as advanced matching does not have match date and privatized matches are only shown on web page, they are not included in csv or excel download.

Comment

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
                    Last week I had an email informing a new HVR1 match so checked and had no matches since 22/12. Today I got another email saying HVR2. Again I checked and no new match has come in.
                    I've found that if you access your matches through the link that is included in the email, it automatically sets the "new since" date, and the matches frequently don't show up. Clearing out that date and rerunning the search sometimes gets them to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
                      And on HVR2 and HVR1 levels, it could be that someone was indeed a match (thus you got an e-mail), but she or he realized that they do not want matching at that level, so they opted out (thus you cannot see them as your match).

Mr W

Comment

[QUOTE=prairielad;421033]I would check your advanced matching list, sorting by most recent.

Where can I see my "advanced matching list"? I did not see that phrase on the matches page.

Comment

Log onto your kit. Instead of clicking on your Matches in the mtDNA section, click on the "Advanced Matches" orange text to the right of the mtDNA section of your kit.

Comment

Thanks. I was expecting to find it below the Y-DNA header. (I'm working on a male cousin's kit.) I found it. Unfortunately I just tried it (selecting all Y and FF tests) and got "Houston, we have a problem!".

Comment

I've had loads of emails from FTDNA since the weekend when the website was glitchy for the whole weekend so it looks like the system was reset to a date which made emails get sent out, I was getting notifications on MT and Family Finder kits and none were "new" matches they were older matches from a few weeks ago..

Comment

Working...
                              X