No announcement yet.

Physical traits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I look in the mirror for my autosomal report.

I see a kind of motley-looking white guy very tolerant of alcohol and dairy products (not usually consumed together - except for the cheese on the pizza that goes with my pitcher of beer).

Comment

hi i just found out that my dad was adopted and his father and mother were both 75% chickasaw indian or more they have roll numbers too so my father is the same amount and my mom has just as much so im about 62.5% - 75% chickasaw indian and my results on the 2.5 test was
      85% Euro 13% East Asian & 2% sub saharan i think
      they got my test mixed up with someone else or there test just doesnt work well good luck and dont trust the test.

so this dna test is a scam

A waiste of $650.00
      Last edited by msc_44; 17 July 2006, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by msc_44
        hi i just found out that my dad was adopted and his father and mother were both 75% chickasaw indian or more they have roll numbers too so my father is the same amount and my mom has just as much so im about 62.5% - 75% chickasaw indian and my results on the 2.5 test was
        If your father's mom and dad each were 75% Chickasaw (by pedigree) then your father could be much less than 75% Chickasaw (by DNA). And the same is true for your mother and doubly true for you.

Autosomal DNA tests are imprecise by their very nature, but the tests sold by AncestrybyDNA are not a "scam" by any legitimate definition of that word.

Comment

But from the very nature of msc_44's results and others it does seem that the East Asian element is "fuzzy"...and also people have said in the literature that you have to have Native admixture on your results to be Native....if that's the case then why didn't it show up on msc_44's and others who have proven Native ancestry? I think I'm just gonna have to think to myself well I'm not 100% British descent but could be Native or PA Dutch or actually East Asian too!
          The literature tells you to take into account the red confidence interval bars on your chart to make more sense of your results so if that's the case then we have 0-10% Native on there and 0-2% African!!!!
          I do wonder if they should have perfected the test before selling a bit more first.

Comment

Originally posted by burto
            But from the very nature of msc_44's results and others it does seem that the East Asian element is "fuzzy"...
            Undoubtedly, but this is largely due to the growing realization that the genetic differences between some Native American populations and their parent East Asian populations simply isn't very great.

Perhaps the tests ARE being oversold (though I don't see any evidence of that in the case of this particular company), but it is still unreasonable to expect a genetic test to differentiate populations that are not genetically different.

Also, the assumption that we receive exactly half our DNA from our mother and half from our father is quaint but inaccurate, at least in regard to autosomal DNA testing. Again, the companies involved might do a better job of education, but we all need to be aware that our cultural heritage might not precisely match our genetic heritage.

I might describe myself as 50% Italian, since my Dad was 100% Italian and my Mom 0%, but that is an arbitrary assignment in two ways. First, my autosomal DNA is almost certainly not exactly 50/50. Second, "Italian" is a cultural identification not a genetic one. Italy has only existed as a country for 150 years. My Italian DNA could be Roman, or Iberian, or Germanic, or Tunisian, or (most likely) some combination.

I'm not a big fan of autosomal DNA tests, for these and other related reasons. But they are not a "scam". A waste of money? Perhaps for some people, but for others the information is valuable.

Comment

Gap in front teeth

Does anyone know if there is a DNA link to having a gap in the front teeth. I know that there are a lot of people from England with this gap.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by redcloud
                Does anyone know if there is a DNA link to having a gap in the front teeth. I know that there are a lot of people from England with this gap.

Judy
                Interesting. I once read this trait is also common among Semitic people. Can't say for sure weather it is true or not, it is just what I read years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by msc_44
                  they got my test mixed up with someone else or there test just doesnt work well good luck and dont trust the test.

so this dna test is a scam

A waiste of $650.00
                  What test was that again? I just mailed out mail "Ancestry by DNA 2.5" to Trace Genetics/DNA Print Genomics but it wasn't $650. You could almost sequence your entire mtDNA here for that... Maybe I'll do that next year

Comment

Working...
                  X