Why Am I Getting This Message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Am I Getting This Message

This query is on behalf of a friend. I'd be grateful if someone can answer it for me:-

I am predicted M269 but when I try to apply for the M343 backbone test I get a message saying “ R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack cannot be added because it already exists or is not allowed”. Can anyone tell me why would this be, please? I've already Y tested to 67 markers.

Please check your (his) shopping basket in the top right corner...

Mr. W

Comment

Apparently the basket was empty. The order has now been accepted but the message still remains, implying that the test is not appropriate. I think my friend is going to approach the company for an explanation as they fear being charged for attest they won't receive. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Am I wrong in my understanding that anyone who is predicted M269 qualifies for the 343 backbone test, or have I missed something, somewhere? This is the message my friend is getting when trying to order it:-

"Kit ******* does not meet the prerequisites for R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack. The sample provided may not test positive for any of the SNPs in this panel. If it does not test positive, you will not be able to receive a refund. Do you still want to purchase this product?"

Comment

Mystery solved

Originally posted by Doublemartini View Post
          Am I wrong in my understanding that anyone who is predicted M269 qualifies for the 343 backbone test, or have I missed something, somewhere? This is the message my friend is getting when trying to order it:-

"Kit ******* does not meet the prerequisites for R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack. The sample provided may not test positive for any of the SNPs in this panel. If it does not test positive, you will not be able to receive a refund. Do you still want to purchase this product?"
          From FTDNA announcement just sent to project administrators:
          SNP Pack order process updated

Also, as of yesterday, we’ve added all of our SNP Packs to the Advanced Orders page. This will allow customers who are not predicted positive for the qualifying SNP to purchase that pack so that our SNP Pack team no longer has to simulate that prerequisite and eliminating that bottleneck in ordering. For example, a Y-tester that’s predicted R-M269 will no longer need to have his group administrator contact us to mark him positive for R-CTS4466 so he can order the R-CTS4466 SNP Pack.

On the other hand, that means some customers will inevitably try to purchase SNP Packs for which they do not qualify. Once they have added their SNP Pack of choice to the shopping cart they will be required to agree to a disclaimer before completing their purchase.
          Since your friend did not test for M343, he got the message...

Mr. W

Comment

The "already exists" message often means that the test is already in the shopping cart and cannot be added again. The message "not allowed" can mean that the testee is registered as female and cannot order a Y-DNA test.

Comment

Thanks DNA and Igmayka. The person is female but the test is registered to her brother. Also there is nothing in the shopping cart at the beginning of the process. Oddly when I tested it on her log-in I didn't get the message up and reached the payment page. As I wasn't paying I used the back button and then the message appeared.

DNA - I cannot follow the reasoning of that. She is not in a project. The disclaimer is that they will charge for a test even if it is of no benefit to her. Naturally on that basis she won't take it. Yet her brother's DNA and mine is a GD3 over 67 markers and I am downstream of M343. Both of us were predicted M269 at the outset. I took the Big Y. Are we saying it is likely that if I had tried to purchase the backbone test instead I too would have been warned, even though I am downstream of M343?

Comment

DNA - Re-reading your message are you saying that a SNP test for M343 must have been ordered first before the backbone test becomes relevant/technically available?

Comment

Originally posted by Doublemartini View Post
                  DNA - Re-reading your message are you saying that a SNP test for M343 must have been ordered first before the backbone test becomes relevant/technically available?
                  That was the situation before. FTDNA needed the tester to either already be positive for M343 or a project administrator to confirm that is OK to order the pack.

Starting yesterday, anyone can purchase any pack. So FTDNA has a warning for everybody who is not guaranteed (by virtue of a previous SNP test) to qualify for the pack.

Will it make people not order wrong SNP packs? Clearly they hope so...

Will it stop people who are qualified? As you example shows, sometimes yes. The ordering system cannot know who has whom in their family...

Mr. W

Comment

Thank you very much "DNA". Now I understand, but though I can see it smooths the path for FTDNA but it risks slowing down the progress rather than speeding it up, wouldn't you say? I think they ought to clearly state at the point of ordering who may benefit. As it stands the message is practically warning people off, with its "your risk" message.

Once again thanks for your help, at least I understand now.

Comment

If you read another thread from yesterday
                      http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=38451
                      you will realize that there are glaring glitches in the system...

I like the feature that the SNPs are listed. I do not like that they are not in alphabetical order. Etc.

Mr. W

Comment

Working...
                      X