Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 matches in my Y-DNA111 same last name (not mine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathy Johnston
    replied
    Originally posted by ercombs View Post
    What does it mean if my only 6 Y-DNA111 matches all have the same last name, and that last name does not appear anywhere on my known family tree?
    I have a similar situation. My Johnstons match nobody very closely, but there is one surname, Ruddy (or Roddy) in which we get a 60/67 marker match. However there are 9 Ruddys or Roddys who match and most of these are more distant at around a 57/67 match with my Johnston. Only one is on our match list. I think that one stray Ruddy developed some convergent markers with my Johnstons and diverged slightly from his cluster of Ruddys.

So sometimes there is convergence and divergence of STR markers either toward a group or away from a group. I wish the Ruddys would upgrade to 111 markers so we can get a better understanding of what is happening here. But I am not losing sleep over it. I am not ready to change my name. I have not ordered the Big Y but I probably should order it just to contribute to citizen science. I am simply waiting for more Johnstons to test and am willing to pay for a 12 marker test if someone can prove a possible link with my pedigree back in Ballymoney, Ireland or nearby. The only reason I say 12 marker is that most Johnstons are in a different haplogroup and this becomes evident right away. I think that recruiting just the right person, then upgrading might be more cost effective.

It is a long waiting game. There is often no immediate gratification. I spend my time looking at Y-DNA results on my other surname lines and checking out projects that list the most distant male ancestor found elsewhere in my pedigree. People often do not investigate what other distant relatives have invested in.

Leave a comment:

replied
    What does it mean if my only 6 Y-DNA111 matches all have the same last name, and that last name does not appear anywhere on my known family tree?
    It means that you all belong in the same terminal YSNP branch. You and one of your matches will need a Big Y test to determine how close you all are.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy Johnston
    replied
    How closely do you match at 111 markers?

Two surnames sometimes do have the same Y-DNA especially if there was a name change, adoption, NPE etc. There is a possibility someone in your male line should have been called that other name, but there is also a possibility those 6 matches should have had your surname because their common ancestor came from your line too. Don't automatically assume a close relative of yours (or even you) got the switch, but that should at least cross your mind. That other family may just have recruited a lot of people to get tested; so just because they have more name matches doesn't necessarily mean you are the odd one out.

I always like to look closely at the pedigrees of those 6 individuals to see if the all-male timelines crossed yours. For example, did any live in the same town? Were any of these ancestors next door neighbors in the census records? I have seen many situations where people were sure they were of one family but actually came from another because of a misattributed paternity.

You may want to get another male relative of yours with your surname to test his Y-DNA to make sure it is the same if you have any question about it. You may want to check several of your family members with the Family Finder test.

Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Doublemartini
    replied
    Can't answer your question, but I am hoping it means that is likely to be your ancestral surname because I have only 6 matches between 37 and 67 markers, and of those that know their line all have the same surname.

Leave a comment:

• ercombs
    started a topic 6 matches in my Y-DNA111 same last name (not mine)

6 matches in my Y-DNA111 same last name (not mine)

Working...
X