Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can you tell if a segment triangulation is ibs or ibd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can you tell if a segment triangulation is ibs or ibd?

several days ago, i mentioned on the gedmatch forum in regards about my maternal grandpa's dna if it confirms or denies family lore about distant converso/sephardic heritage. someone n the forum found that my grandpa had matches that were askenazi jewish and even triangulated with some of them on chromosome 9 and like about 2 or 3(i forgot how many exactly) also triangulated with my mom on chromosome 9 as well. is there a way to figure out for 100% certainity that these segments are 'jewish'/hebrew/ancient israelite markers or not. i want to see also if these segments do actually indicate a distant ancestor or just by chance are similar(IBS)

my grandpa's gedmatch kit is A962940

edit: the reason i wanna be careful about trusting family lore is because there was another one of those on my mom's side of the family about her paternal grandmother having a great-grandmother from france, which i found out from simple paper trail research, wasn't true at all.
    Last edited by crossover; 3 August 2015, 01:45 AM.

Crossover,

If you take a look at the matches on #9 with your grandfather using the graphics bar, you will see bands of green on those matching segments for "base pairs with full match". I call those situations "reconstructed segments". It comes from having more than one path to a common ancestor. I find them to be good matches, but the estimate for number of generations to MRCA will be closer than the relationship really is.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

yeah i'm thinking that if we share a common ancestor, it's over 500 years ago

Comment

Working...
      X