Not sure which Test to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure which Test to buy...

Hello, I wanted to buy a test but am very confused about which ones to buy.
    I would like to know more about my mothers side of the family but I have lots of Native American people on my fathers side I would like to know about.
    I think what I'm reading is saying that my DNA on my fathers side can't be tested so I would have to get my brother to take the test?
    I'm really confused. I thought that since my DNA was being tested, that the results would tell me about all my ancestors. Anyway, if I'm right about that, which tests would my brother and I have to take?
    Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by amanda143
    I would like to know more about my mothers side of the family but I have lots of Native American people on my fathers side I would like to know about.
    I think what I'm reading is saying that my DNA on my fathers side can't be tested so I would have to get my brother to take the test?
    I'm really confused. I thought that since my DNA was being tested, that the results would tell me about all my ancestors. Anyway, if I'm right about that, which tests would my brother and I have to take?
    Thanks in advance!

you cant test what you donthave thats a y women are x's
    so test your brother finally a use for that brother.
    he can give you your dads ydna and your moms mtdna
    my advice is do as much as you can the waits a killer the more you do the faster you get all the results

Comment

You should have your brother take one of the Y-DNA tests. By comparing his results to the databases, you may be able to verify the Native American ancestry along the paternal line ( your father, your father's father, etc). Additionally, you may get a match with someone else who has taken the same test which would indicate the possibility of a blood relationship. This test might also reveal a prediction of your paternal line's deep ancestral origins.

You should take a mtDNA test yourself. This will reveal the same information for your maternal line (your mother, your mother's mother, etc) as the Y-DNA test does for the paternal line.

If you are SURE that you and your brother share the same mother (i.e. one of you is not adopted), you can actually have both tests (mtDNA and Y-DNA) done for your brother for somewhat less money.

http://www.familytreedna.com/order_f...=Y-DNA12+mtDNA

These are fairly low-resolution tests, but are the cheapest way to find basic information about your lineages. You can upgrade the resolution, at a higher price, now or later.

Comment

Thanks in advance!
        So, why not organize a family DNA project around your father's family? Start it on the cheap by going through Genographic Project then get them to upgrade once their interest is provoked.

Tom
        Son of mtC

Comment

Working...
        X