Ancient DNA comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient DNA comparisons

Like many, I have enjoyed going on Gedmatch and playing with the "Archaic DNA" database: http://www.y-str.org/p/ancient-dna.html
    My question is what, if anything, can one deduce from this data ? Is there some happy medium between the 7+ cm level where I have zero matches with any ancient and the ridiculously low .5 cm level allowed by Gedmatch where they all are matches ?

I'm surprised to not even have 2cm in common with any of the Hinxton UK samples, yet a couple segments of 5cm in common with one from Hungary, considering my majority British Isles ancestry.

Originally posted by robertalabama View Post
    Like many, I have enjoyed going on Gedmatch and playing with the "Archaic DNA" database: http://www.y-str.org/p/ancient-dna.html
    My question is what, if anything, can one deduce from this data ? Is there some happy medium between the 7+ cm level where I have zero matches with any ancient and the ridiculously low .5 cm level allowed by Gedmatch where they all are matches ?

I'm surprised to not even have 2cm in common with any of the Hinxton UK samples, yet a couple segments of 5cm in common with one from Hungary, considering my majority British Isles ancestry.
    Interpreting patterns in tea leaves or coffee grounds can also sometimes predict future events

Mr. W.

Comment

Anything less than 5cM could easily be Identical By State (IBS) which basically means it just happened to randomly recombine to give similar enough results to appear to be a match. This would likely be more common for two people from similar populations, so it could be an indication that you have some ancestry from a similar region, but it also could be pure chance. Because of the decent likelyhood of pure chance producing results similar to what most people will find when comparing to the Ancient DNA, it's likely that there aren't any useful theories that can be gleaned from the results and they should only be used for amusement to see how similar you are to some long dead person's genetics.

Comment

Basically what Adam already stated. But when I run my mother's kit with 6cM, I get one of the ancient matches. If I run my cousin's kit at 7cM, he gets one of those ancient matches as well. Leaving it at 5cM they both get two of those kits matching, but the kits that they match only go back to around the 1600s, so not so ancient.

Comment

is there a way to compare your dna with the bones mentioned in the article below
          http://artdaily.com/news/67741/Mexic...s#.Vb8BQflViko

Comment

Gedmatch has archaic samples that you can compare to.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

If small cM matches are by chance,

1. Why don't they show as an even smattering across all the aDNA samples, instead of basically just five of them in my case?

2. Why do I mostly get more hits added to the same five samples as I decrease to even smaller cM levels? By 1cM those five samples are almost unbroken bright orange stripes standing out from the full list.

Comment

Originally posted by crossover View Post
                is there a way to compare your dna with the bones mentioned in the article below
                http://artdaily.com/news/67741/Mexic...s#.Vb8BQflViko
                No. In order for that to happen they would have to send the remains to a lab specialized in extracting and testing the DNA then they would have to publish a report with a raw DNA file that is made public. Then Felix, or someone else that is interested in converting the raw DNA, would have to download the file then convert it then upload it to Gedmatch and publicize that a research kit is available at Gedmatch for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
                  Gedmatch has archaic samples that you can compare to.

Timothy Peterman
                  but it doesn't have caxcan or middle eastern samples to compare with

Comment

but it doesn't have caxcan or middle eastern samples to compare with
                    Because there hasn't been a scientific DNA study on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                      Because there hasn't been a scientific DNA study on them.
                      i thought they got a few ancient dna samples from the middle east like n the biblical luke

Comment

i thought they got a few ancient dna samples from the middle east like n the biblical luke
                        St. Luke was only tested for mtDNA and that was only a very limited mtDNA test.

Comparing mtDNA of ancient specimens is only good for determining if certain mtDNA haplogroups existed in certain regions in certain time periods such as what can be seen at http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/eur...ithicdna.shtml or at http://www.y-str.org/p/ancient-dna.html

Gedmatch only has autosomal DNA to compare to although you can put your mtDNA haplogroup so that other people can see it in the one-to-many match list. Ancient specimens don't show up in the one-to-many list because they are listed as research kits.

Comment

how can you compare yur dna with ancient samples not upladed to gedmatch

Comment

Working...
                          X