Y results question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y results question

I have my results and have 19 matches.....I would assume the list starts with strongest match first??

Also, is there someone associated with this site who can give an expert analysis of my results? I understand there may be charges for such

Thanks
    Joel Hill

Originally posted by Joel Hill View Post
    I have my results and have 19 matches.....I would assume the list starts with strongest match first??

Also, is there someone associated with this site who can give an expert analysis of my results? I understand there may be charges for such

Thanks
    Joel Hill
    The list is by genetic distance (be default zero at the top), then by the match date (newest on the top), then it appears to me as alphabetical by last name (A-Z).

Use FTDNATiP for a simple take on probabilities of different relationship levels with any of your matches.

Look for the TiP icon [image]https://www.familytreedna.com/img/my/icons/TiP_icon.gif[/image] next to your match name and click it.

The following two items from the Family Tree DNA Learning Center would explain TiP and relationships

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-relationship/ How do I tell how closely I am related to a Y-Chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) match? What is FTDNATiP?

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...ionship-match/ Expected Relationships with Y-DNA STR Matches

You may also want to visualize how relationship predictions change depending on numbers of markers and Genetic Distance, by looking at a table in Paternal Lineages http://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/ydna/

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
    You did not provide any information that would allow for a less generic answer.

Comment

Ok...a follow up with more info

I am kit 409542.....all my matches are within the groups of family members I have studied via Ancestry and FS etc

I have one person who appears to be an almost perfect match the way I interpret it......and several others with a genetic distance of 1 and a few with 2,3, and 4.

I just wanted an expert analysis of my results vs the 0-2 groups....

I am attempting to identify a ggg gf that for several years we have not been able to...but with this testing I feel like I am on the right path.

One last thing...the person I am a distance of 0 with on the 37 marker test will not or has not responded to a couple of emails.....is there any other info on that particular one that I can get via this site on our match other than those percentages on the TIP sheet??

Regards
      Joel Hill

Comment

I am kit 409542
        Unless you are in a project that shows kit numbers, we do not see your kit number. Ever.

I am attempting to identify a ggg gf that for several years we have not been able to...but with this testing I feel like I am on the right path.
        Have you tried Family Finder matching with people who are at a small genetic distance from you?

Are there people with GD=0 or 1 or 2 who took Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA111 tests? If yes, you may want to consider upgrading your test to whatever you can afford (either Y-DNA67 or Y-DNA111).

the person I am a distance of 0 with on the 37 marker test will not or has not responded to a couple of emails.....is there any other info on that particular one that I can get via this site on our match other than those percentages on the TIP sheet??
        If that person had the Family Finder test and you did not, you may want to have the Family Finder test. If you had the Family Finder test, and they did not, then you may want to consider covering all the costs of that person testing.

If someone does not want to share any information, their privacy is securely protected. Some people report results with googling the e-mail address given in a profile. On the other hand, I can see people who are evidently using e-mail addresses that are for FTDNA use only (thus Google never had a chance seeing those addresses).

W. (Mr.)

Comment

I am in a project

The Hill project....I will upgrade to whatever i need to to find my ancestors ....how in the hades do you do that?

Comment

Dissatisfied

With this site and the feedback,,,,,,,,,not a Lot of help available especially for total novices like myself....only answer is buy another test instead of interpreting my current results....which I have offered to pay for...disappointing

Comment

The Hill project.
              Please understand that we cannot begin to analyze your results until we can see them, and right now we cannot.

This is the only Hill project I can find, and kit 409542 is not in it. Is it possible that your settings are still set to the default, which makes your Y-DNA results visible only to other project members? If so, we cannot see them.

Try this:
              1) Log into your FTDNA account
              2) In the upper right corner, hover the mouse over your name. A menu should appear. Select Privacy Settings.
              3) On the resulting page, find the question "Who can view my DNA results in group projects?" Change the answer to Anyone ("Make my mtDNA & Y-DNA data public").

When you have done this, please let us know. We will then be able to see your results and help you further.

By the way, your own project administrator is really supposed to be your primary advisor in interpreting your results--he/she can see your entire account, including matches, whereas we cannot. If your project administrator does not have the time or expertise to do this, please consider also joining a haplogroup project.

To which haplogroup do you belong? R-M269, or I-M253, or R-M198, or ?
              lgmayka
              FTDNA Customer
              Last edited by lgmayka; 29 June 2015, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Ok....done

Results public....I am indeed a member of the Hill project and the guy emailed me to tell me I was in Group 4.....haplogroup is T-M70

Help!

Joel

Comment

I am not sure what type of information you are expecting to learn.

You do have an exact match with N60174 and you are a genetic distance of 1 from several others. Most of these people show Isaac Hill as their most distant paternal ancestor. Based on dates and places of birth, when given, these are not the same Isaac Hill.

Since a one step mutation is common, even between father and son, you could share a common ancestor with any of them. I suggest you try to contact all of your matches who are a genetic distance of one or two to see if you might be related to them. Include as much information as possible about your most distant know Hill ancestor.

Comment

One last thing...the person I am a distance of 0 with on the 37 marker test will not or has not responded to a couple of emails.....is there any other info on that particular one that I can get via this site on our match other than those percentages on the TIP sheet??
                    A distance of 0 at 37 markers is pretty darn close. It is very unfortunate that he does not respond to emails. You could ask your project administrator to send him an email, but he may not respond to that either. Theoretically, your administrator probably has access to his phone number, but would be very reluctant to contact him by that means just for the sake of a match.

Matches at distance 1 and beyond--especially those who have tested 67 markers themselves--are likely to tell you, "Upgrade to 67 markers first, and let's see if the match holds at the higher level of resolution." Of your matches at distance 1 (at 37 markers), how many have tested to 67 markers or more?

Comment

Y test followup

Thanks....first only the exact match has a 67 marker test...the GD of 1 took the 37.....

Questions...how much more likely is a common ancestor with a 0 than a 1 if that is a valid question...the GD of 1 have family members I have been looking at for years and they seem like the perfect fit as I know locations on my gg gf and their kin.....the 0 match well I started with his name in the 1940 census and worked backwards - not thru but have it back to about 1820 now.

And is it possible that my ggg gf could be in the GD of 1 group rather than the 0 match?? What is the likelihood of that?

Thirdly...if I do the 67....can you use the sample I sent or do I need to totally start over???

Thanks for your help

Comment

And is it possible that my ggg gf could be in the GD of 1 group rather than the 0 match?? What is the likelihood of that?
                        Yes, that is quite possible. Let's say that all of you upgrade to 67 markers. The guy who is at 0 right now, might end up at distance 3; whereas the guy who is at 1 right now, might end up at distance 2.
                        Thirdly...if I do the 67....can you use the sample I sent or do I need to totally start over???
                        Ordinarily, FTDNA can use your existing DNA samples. The regular 37-to-67 upgrade price is $99. You can find the Upgrade button in the upper right corner of your FTDNA account page.

Comment

Thanks....first only the exact match has a 67 marker test...the GD of 1 took the 37.....

Questions...how much more likely is a common ancestor with a 0 than a 1 if that is a valid question...the GD of 1 have family members I have been looking at for years and they seem like the perfect fit as I know locations on my gg gf and their kin.....the 0 match well I started with his name in the 1940 census and worked backwards - not thru but have it back to about 1820 now.

Thanks for your help
                          I agree with what the others have said. You may have to trace all of the distant ancestors listed in your cluster. It may take a long time to sort out your group but I think all these men are related. I think you need to investigate the stories and genealogies of all of them to see where there might be a connection between them. Hopefully your closest matches will respond.

You might also be interested in deeper ancestry. Join the Y-DNA Haplogroup T (former K2) Project where some of the Hill males are found: https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ion=ycolorized Your haplogroup T is extremely lucky because it can separate your cluster of Hills away from others because it is only found in about 10% of Europeans.

Ultimately you may want to find Hills in England and/or Scotland and encourage them to test. The name Hill is often English but many Scots-Irish ended up in S. Carolina during the time period those Hills arrived. It looks like there could be many brick walls among your matching Y cousins so there may not be any instant gratification. Look at Ysearch.org as well.

Comment

You have got very good answers above

how much more likely is a common ancestor with a 0 than a 1 if that is a valid question...
                            That is a valid question! And TiP would answer that, compare the probability readings. Just remember that going deeper into past you surely have a common ancestor with any of your matches.

Yes, it is quite possible. However, assigning a numerical value to such a probability might be non-trivial.

I / we who answered your posts are not from FTDNA. We have no other association with FTDNA than testing here ourselves and our families. Some of us are volunteer administrators for DNA projects. We present here our personal opinions only.

Yes, FTDNA will continue using your existing sample, until there is no usable DNA left. If more DNA is needed, FTDNA will send you another collection kit (please keep your e-mail address and postal address up to date).

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Working...
                            X