mtDNA Ancestral Origins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA Ancestral Origins

Really having trouble understanding the results under Ancestral Origins. What is it telling me as compared to matches?

Originally posted by sshayward View Post
    Really having trouble understanding the results under Ancestral Origins. What is it telling me as compared to matches?
    It tells you what your matches self reported as to where their most distant ancestor is from. It doesn't necessarily mean that is really the origin of your mtDNA line even if most report to be from the same region.

Comment

My ancestors origins

Originally posted by Armando View Post
      It tells you what your matches self reported as to where their most distant ancestor is from. It doesn't necessarily mean that is really the origin of your mtDNA line even if most report to be from the same region.
      I am interested in the origins of MY ancestors, not necessarily the origins of matches. Which report shows me that? My Family Finder results suggest some origins that match results from mtDNA matches but I can't seem to zoom in on some concrete answers. Some of my matches show small percentages of Native American origins but how does that relate to me???? My mom's side has always said there was Native American blood but I just blew it off as myth. But given some of my research - could be possible. I wanted the mtDNA results so I could narrow my focus on research but I still have a Heinz 57 variety!

Comment

sshayward, did you take the mtDNA+ test, or the Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS) test? What mtDNA haplogroup result did you get? The following main mitochondrial haplogroups are known to be Native American: A, B, C, D, X. It also depends upon the subclade, etc.

Your mtDNA is only one line in your ancestry, the direct maternal line. You wrote that it was your mother's side that said it had the NA. Did they say it was along your mother's mother's (etc.) line, or were there any male ancestors involved in the path?

The mtDNA test at FTDNA by itself is not going to explicitly predict NA or other ancestry. The only mt-haplogroup-specific information I see in myFTDNA, within the mtDNA results, are (FMS test only, I believe):
        • in the "mtDNA - Migration Maps" section, under "Frequency Maps"
        • a short description at the top of your "mtDNA results" page

Neither of these is very explicit. You need to know your mtDNA haplogroup (preferably your FMS), and research it. Roberta Estes has some informative posts about Native American haplogroups. Try "Are You Native?"
        and "Finding Your Native American Tribe Using DNA", among others.

If your mtDNA haplogroup is not a known NA one, your option is to see if your autosomal DNA (Family Finder, 23andMe, AncestryDNA) results show any native American. Have you uploaded your FF to Gedmatch.com, and tried the admixture tools there?

Others can say which Gedmatch.com tools are good for showing NA, but I think in other threads it's been said that 23andMe is better than FF for showing NA. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that, or any of what I've said above.

Comment

Native American

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          sshayward, did you take the mtDNA+ test, or the Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS) test? What mtDNA haplogroup result did you get? The following main mitochondrial haplogroups are known to be Native American: A, B, C, D, X. It also depends upon the subclade, etc.

Your mtDNA is only one line in your ancestry, the direct maternal line. You wrote that it was your mother's side that said it had the NA. Did they say it was along your mother's mother's (etc.) line, or were there any male ancestors involved in the path?

The mtDNA test at FTDNA by itself is not going to explicitly predict NA or other ancestry. The only mt-haplogroup-specific information I see in myFTDNA, within the mtDNA results, are (FMS test only, I believe):
          • in the "mtDNA - Migration Maps" section, under "Frequency Maps"
          • a short description at the top of your "mtDNA results" page

Neither of these is very explicit. You need to know your mtDNA haplogroup (preferably your FMS), and research it. Roberta Estes has some informative posts about Native American haplogroups. Try "Are You Native?"
          and "Finding Your Native American Tribe Using DNA", among others.

If your mtDNA haplogroup is not a known NA one, your option is to see if your autosomal DNA (Family Finder, 23andMe, AncestryDNA) results show any native American. Have you uploaded your FF to Gedmatch.com, and tried the admixture tools there?

Others can say which Gedmatch.com tools are good for showing NA, but I think in other threads it's been said that 23andMe is better than FF for showing NA. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that, or any of what I've said above.
          Thanks so much for the information. It is not the NA that I am so interested in because if it does exist it would be very small. I am J2a1a1a2 which seems to be very broad - so broad that I am having trouble pulling out the important results. I guess I will just pick it apart piece by piece. But thanks for the response.

Comment

mtDNA and Native American

I know nothing of DNA or if I would understand results unless someone stood next to me to explain.
            I am trying to decide if I want to get a mtDNA test.
            Reading the posts it seems to be a total waste of money.

I am 84 yrs. I have a letter written (before or about the year I was born) from my mother's mother that we are part Choctaw. I contacted the Choctaw office in Oklahoma asking if my DNA could determine if I was actually N/A or Choctaw. They replied No. I have the braid of hair cut from my mother's mother's mother (my gr.grandmother, the supposed part Choctaw) when she died, but it doesn't have the hair bulb so is useless. The mother of my gr.grandmother was b.1817 Mobile Co, Alabama which was in the Choctaw area. She married in 1831 under non-Indian name. I have pictures of both my great and great, great grandmothers, but they don't much look Indian. My grandmother and a son were quite dark with black hair.

=does anyone think mtDNA would show me having Native American ancestry?

JCW

Comment

Originally posted by bgw3133 View Post
              I know nothing of DNA or if I would understand results unless someone stood next to me to explain.
              I am trying to decide if I want to get a mtDNA test.
              Reading the posts it seems to be a total waste of money.

I am 84 yrs. I have a letter written (before or about the year I was born) from my mother's mother that we are part Choctaw. I contacted the Choctaw office in Oklahoma asking if my DNA could determine if I was actually N/A or Choctaw. They replied No. I have the braid of hair cut from my mother's mother's mother (my gr.grandmother, the supposed part Choctaw) when she died, but it doesn't have the hair bulb so is useless. The mother of my gr.grandmother was b.1817 Mobile Co, Alabama which was in the Choctaw area. She married in 1831 under non-Indian name. I have pictures of both my great and great, great grandmothers, but they don't much look Indian. My grandmother and a son were quite dark with black hair.

=does anyone think mtDNA would show me having Native American ancestry?

JCW
              Maybe, but no guarantee at all that your mtDNA would show it.

You would need to order mtFull Sequence (Full Mitochondrial Sequence - FMS) test.

Since you are posting here, I am assuming that you already had Family Finder test. Then mtDNA test is another avenue.

Good luck!

Mr. W

Comment

reply to Mr. W.

What would Full Mitochondrial Sequence - FMS) test tell me?

I have had no DNA tests. Being female I am not sure it will tell me anything of value unless I could document American Indian. Mother's ancestry is probably 98% English with documented ancestry in Wales (abt 1650), England (abt 1580), Scotland (abt 1700), Ireland (abt 1685).
                I am also interested in learning something of my father's lineage known to have been Scotland, Germany, Spain/Mexico, but I don't think DNA is possible since daughter to father. A genealogical connection with someone would be great.

JCW

Comment

Originally posted by bgw3133 View Post
                  What would Full Mitochondrial Sequence - FMS) test tell me?

I have had no DNA tests. Being female I am not sure it will tell me anything of value unless I could document American Indian. Mother's ancestry is probably 98% English with documented ancestry in Wales (abt 1650), England (abt 1580), Scotland (abt 1700), Ireland (abt 1685).
                  I am also interested in learning something of my father's lineage known to have been Scotland, Germany, Spain/Mexico, but I don't think DNA is possible since daughter to father. A genealogical connection with someone would be great.

JCW
                  It is a little bit unfortunate, but unless you test you would not know.

However, you have raised a valid point, that is very often overlooked. With DNA testing one learns about genetic ancestry and there is very often no way (or no easy way) to map those results to real people known by name, exact time and places they lived and accurate blood relationship.

Mr. W

Comment

N/A

My N/A is direct thru my mother to my gr.gr.grandmother which is as far back as I document on that line. It is my brick wall. Best documentation is a letter written in late 1920s, but before 1931 when I was born, stating we were Choctaw.

JCW

Comment

Working...
                    X