tracing "race"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracing "race"

I am from the South and of mixed racial ancestry. Oral tradition in my family is that we were mixed European & Native American. During the course of genealogical reasearch, I also found that at least two of my ancestors from the late 17th century were documented as being African-American. I am descended from two well-known "free mulatto" families-- the CHAVIS and IVEY families.

When I had my DNA testing done, the results showed my genetic composition to be 75% Indo-European and 25% American Indian. I was surprised that no African ancestry showed up at all, especially since the historical documentation indicates European-African couples. Is it possible that African ancestry would not be detected in my DNA because I only had a couple of African ancestors more than 300 years ago? Can genetic material vanish from a person if overwhelmed by different genes (e.i. African genetic markers lost due to a dominance of European & American Indian genes)?

Originally posted by CLCanipe
    I am from the South and of mixed racial ancestry. Oral tradition in my family is that we were mixed European & Native American. During the course of genealogical reasearch, I also found that at least two of my ancestors from the late 17th century were documented as being African-American. I am descended from two well-known "free mulatto" families-- the CHAVIS and IVEY families.

When I had my DNA testing done, the results showed my genetic composition to be 75% Indo-European and 25% American Indian. I was surprised that no African ancestry showed up at all, especially since the historical documentation indicates European-African couples. Is it possible that African ancestry would not be detected in my DNA because I only had a couple of African ancestors more than 300 years ago? Can genetic material vanish from a person if overwhelmed by different genes (e.i. African genetic markers lost due to a dominance of European & American Indian genes)?
    300 years ago would be approximately 10 generations. Remember, 2 parents, 4 grandparrents, 8 great-grandparents, etc. At 10 generations one has 1024 grandparents, each of which provides approximately .1% of ones genetic content. I don't believe any test will identify that small amount.

Comment

It was not uncommon in the South to classify mixed-race Native Americans as mulatto, etc. It was the law in Virginia, e.g.

Tom

Comment

The percentages test only reveals your recent ancestors. It only goes back to approximately your great grandparents. The African American didn't show up because your ancestors were farther back than that. In order to get even the slightest amount of African American on that test, you'd have to have a great grandparent who was full blooded African American, or more than one grandparent who had quite a bit.

Comment

Name of test

Which test will give you the breakdown you indicate of 75% European, 25% Native American. My cousin's test does not show that and he did the Y-DNA. Is there another test he can take to find this out? Thanks, Janet

Comment

you can find it at www.ancestrybydna.com

Comment

Originally posted by CLCanipe

RACE IS OBSOLETE I AM AFRICAN look at the picture

obsolete as the day is long. i come from somalia e3b1

Comment

Jim Denning not formed of the Desert

Quit lying to us Jim. When was the last time you've been to Somalia to see your Pappa? I know we ALL came from that dead OMO dude(ancient ethopian ancestor) several thousand years ago,but ,uh,what about today and now?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning

Somali. What a shocker. Never woulda guessed.
                  With black hair I would've thought you were a freakin Mongol.. in fact more Mongolian than most Mongols probably.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeboy
                    Somali. What a shocker. Never woulda guessed.
                    With black hair I would've thought you were a freakin Mongol.. in fact more Mongolian than most Mongols probably.
                    At least shocking enough to bring you out of your "posting abstinence" in this forum. Was that really necessary, rudyboy?

Comment

Originally posted by Jambalaia32
                      Quit lying to us Jim. When was the last time you've been to Somalia to see your Pappa? I know we ALL came from that dead OMO dude(ancient ethopian ancestor) several thousand years ago,but ,uh,what about today and now?

since 70 % of e3b1s are in somalia i wouldnt be surprized that i have many 37/37 matches there. what would your reaction to a 37/37 match be besides uping to 56. what if we still match then what?

see what the picture can show is all my freckles well past 50
                      % of me is freckles so thus black or brown. so what does that mean .i 'll tell you race is obsolete and i have a kinship to those people. more so then to most of ireland and the rest of britiany

Comment

I would modify that to say that the simplistic idea of race is obsolete, and a new and more scientifically rigorous and complex concept of race or anthropological self-identity, not always inconsistent with the older understanding, is coming into being.

Steve Sailer has intersting words on this subject:

http://www.vdare.com/sailer/presentation.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning

Dear Mr. Jim,

No doubt, your post was written with the best intention.
                          But I think you are wrong.
                          In order to illustrate my saying, here is an excerpt from SCIENCE NEWS Online 's "The Race to Prescribe":

"Genetic traits do appear to underlie some differences in disease susceptibility and response to therapies. For example, researchers have noted for years that because of differences in enzyme activity, people of Asian descent metabolize cholesterol-lowering statin drugs more slowly than other people do. As a result, some studies suggest, Asians are more susceptible to side effects at a given dose of statins. FDA recently advised physicians not to administer the highest allowed dose of one such drug, rosuvastatin (Crestor), to people of Asian ancestry.

The biological mechanism remains opaque in other instances where medications have differential effects in various ethnic groups."

Link to this article: http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050416/bob8.asp

Frienly,
                          Roberto

Comment

Originally posted by Hrodberht
                            I would modify that to say that the simplistic idea of race is obsolete, and a new and more scientifically rigorous and complex concept of race or anthropological self-identity, not always inconsistent with the older understanding, is coming into being.

Steve Sailer has intersting words on this subject:

http://www.vdare.com/sailer/presentation.htm
                            Mr. Sailer does have interesting concepts on the subject of race. But after building all his arguments the essay has an anticlimactic ending when we realize that everything is tied into an anti-immigration stand. Even his points of view, as are his claims of race, are relative.

Comment

A"Race" is what enough people say it is.

Is not RACE a human construct, using Aristotelian logic, to classify within observed human diversity?
                              That style of logic is based on "is it X, or non-X" to classify.
                              (It is not usefully applicable to polyvariant phenomena.)

Debating points:

1) "If you ask, of what race am I, give me a list of races that YOU have defined, and I will pick one out, in the unlikely event that there is one that I RECOGNISE ! "

2) Sailer's definition (from Hrodberht's post given below) of "racial group" as an "extended family with some inbreeding" is
                              very close to the genetic definition of a "Tribe". That wordy
                              author (do read it) misses out on "memes", a concept that could
                              yield a more plausible definition of "Race'?

3) Try this:

"Race". A memic terminologic classification for inclusion
                              or exclusion towards a given group, based on observable or reputed
                              cultural and/or biologic characteristics of an individual.
                              "Meme" A currently held body of common beliefs held by
                              a definable population group. [Please Google: "Dawkins" to
                              learn about this one.]
                              Last edited by derinos; 25 March 2006, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X