What about the other ancestors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the other ancestors?

I sent in for a mtDNA test because my maternal line is the most mysterious to me. But it's not just my mothers' mother's mother's mother I'm interested in. It's my mother's mother's mother's father. He may be (ultimately) French via 1600's Quebec, but there seems to be no way to find out via genetic analysis.

Did he have a sister who shared the same mother? Did she have a daughter? Did her daughter have a daughter? If there's a direct female line that descends from his sister, then she could take the test and reveal what mtDNA haplogroup he belonged to.

Also, if he has a direct male line (a son who had a son who had a son, etc) then he could take the Y-DNA test and reveal his Y-DNA haplogroup.

Comment

Assume cousin marriages

I've never had the guts to talk anyone else into getting a DNA test, but, if you're more persuasive: my advice would be to assume that many marriages consummated before 1900 were cousin marriages. When in doubt, try to persuade as many relatives of an ancestor of interest to get mtDNA tested (or Y tested, if applicable) as possible.

If you're lucky, your family tree in that branch may look more like a telephone pole than a tree. Male relatives who aren't patrilineal descendants of your ggggfather might have his Y chromosome type, anyway, and relatives who aren't matrilineal descendants of the guy's sisters will have their mtDNA pattern, anyway.

Obviously, the results you get won't be all that convincing, but maybe they'll help put you in touch with people who have better family trees or form hypotheses that will tell you what towns to study.

Comment

Working...
      X