Y-DNA Error frequency????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA Error frequency????

Are there any statistics that show the percentage of tests that are in error? Just read a comment that said their test was mixed up with another person. What would indicate that an error has been made?

Originally posted by sshayward View Post
    What would indicate that an error has been made?
    The only real indication of error is inconsistency. The case that arose in my project the other day was a Big Y test whose results directly contradicted the results of a Deep Clade several years before.

I strongly suspect that sample mixups were more common when FTDNA used to hand off vials to the University of Arizona for some tests (e.g, that old Deep Clade). FTDNA doesn't do that anymore.

Comment

I am questioning FT"s ability to match ANYONE! None of the so-called "matches" I have received are from my haplogroup, which they would have to be since I share the Y DNA of my male ancestors. Latest "matches" are supposed to be at "Generation 0". Not the same haplogroup, and no one that I have heard of. After all, if we were related at generation 0 and I only /have had a (late)half-brother, where have these new finds been hiding the late 68 years??? I seriously question that FT converted my information from Ancestry.com when I joined FT.
      Last edited by 364581; 22 May 2015, 12:43 PM. Reason: remembered something

Comment

Originally posted by 364581 View Post
        I am questioning FT"s ability to match ANYONE! None of the so-called "matches" I have received are from my haplogroup, which they would have to be since I share the Y DNA of my male ancestors. Latest "matches" are supposed to be at "Generation 0". Not the same haplogroup, and no one that I have heard of. After all, if we were related at generation 0 and I only /have had a (late)half-brother, where have these new finds been hiding the late 68 years??? I seriously question that FT converted my information from Ancestry.com when I joined FT.
        It looks like you are confused about something. You should provide more info if you are looking for help. What is your haplogroup and what are the haplogroups of your matches? How many markers did you have tested by FTDNA? How many markers are the matches showing up at? If at 12 then the common ancestor is from sometime in the last 10,000 years. If at 37 markers then the common ancestor is most likely from sometime in the last 1000 years. You can't have heard of all of those people in either case. You have mentioned before that your father was adopted http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=37003 so how could you have heard of any of his close relatives if you haven't found any of them?

You need a close match at 67 or 111 markers and both you and your matches need to have extensive SNP testing and Family Finder tests in order to come to get an idea about when the common ancestor is from.

Comment

Originally posted by 364581 View Post
          I seriously question that FT converted my information from Ancestry.com when I joined FT.
          So you are referring to autosomal (Family Finder) matches? Then why are you also referring to haplogroups, a term that applies only to yDNA and mtDNA?

And what do you mean by "Generation 0"? Is Family Finder actually claiming that these matches are full siblings of yours?

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
            So you are referring to autosomal (Family Finder) matches? Then why are you also referring to haplogroups, a term that applies only to yDNA and mtDNA?

And what do you mean by "Generation 0"? Is Family Finder actually claiming that these matches are full siblings of yours?
            Ancestry.com did Y-DNA tests at one time and they could be transferred to FTDNA.

Kit 364581 at https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ction=yresults has had a 37 marker test.

The match list probably dropped to 25 or 12 markers and provided matches at a GD=0 or the matches are actually relatives or there was convergence of STR markers.

The person's father was adopted. http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?p=405564

Kit 364581 has not had any SNP testing since the haplogroup is R-M269 and it is in red. The poster is probably not familiar with the haplotree and why SNP testing is important and that the matches are probably from a subclade of R-M269.
            Last edited by Armando; 22 May 2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X