Family Finder Matches Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder Matches Questions

What does it mean to have 0 matches reported in my Family Finder results, yet have many matches shown on Advanced Match?

Advanced matches shows all matches to people in databases including those how have chosen to privatize their level of matching (usually listed as private or just by surname, can not click on name to see profile).

Couple of questions to clarify

Do these matches in advanced matches show a relationship range in the Family Finder column?

Are you able to click on the names of these people that show a relationship range and see their profile?

Comment

Originally posted by ecrajett View Post
      What does it mean to have 0 matches reported in my Family Finder results, yet have many matches shown on Advanced Match?
      It means that you, like many others, have been affected by a glitch in the FF matching system that is being repaired. The estimate from FTDNA is that it will be fixed by the end of next week.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
        Advanced matches shows all matches to people in databases including those how have chosen to privatize their level of matching (usually listed as private or just by surname, can not click on name to see profile).

Couple of questions to clarify

Do these matches in advanced matches show a relationship range in the Family Finder column?

Are you able to click on the names of these people that show a relationship range and see their profile?

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
        It means that you, like many others, have been affected by a glitch in the FF matching system that is being repaired. The estimate from FTDNA is that it will be fixed by the end of next week.
        If above bolded is yes, then jbarry6899's statement is most likely true.

If No, then your Family Finder matches at that level have decided to make their results private, they probably have made all Speculative Matches (4th to Remote) private.

If No to my first Question, then these matches, depending on if you selected All or just Family Finder in advanced matches, will be matches to any other of your tests you may have done (mtDNA, yDNA).

Comment

Prairielad, thanks for your reply. Yes, the Family Finder column shows relationships, the closest being second cousin. But when I click the names, nothing happens.

I know one of my first cousins was tested on Family Tree, but the names listed are total strangers. Darlene is a maternal line relative. She had the MtDNA test (Our mothers were sisters), but I don't know whether she also had the Family Finder test.

A different question: I have downloaded my raw data file, but can't open it. What's the best program to install to enable me to open my raw data file? I previously had my autosomal DNA tested by another company, but that company gave me my results directly (within a shorter period of time) so I was able to quickly compare it with my test partner's results.

Is there a searchable autosomal DNA database online into which I can put my raw data (if I ever figure out how to view it) and check for matches myself? I've done that with my mutations on a previous MtDNA test. I want to actively check myself, not just wait for Family Tree to find my matches.

Comment

Family Finder Match Questions

Thanks for your reply. I think you must be correct.

Comment

[----] I have downloaded my raw data file, but can't open it. What's the best program to install to enable me to open my raw data file? [----]
              File format of your raw data is CSV = Comma-Separated Values. It is tabular data best analyzed with a spreadsheet (any spreadsheet program), but it can be viewed with any text editor (including Notepad).

However, they are compressed to greatly reduce their size. Hence, GZ extension. I recommend decompressing using a portable version of 7-Zip available at http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable

Please also see How do I read my Family Finder raw data file? in The Family Tree DNA Learning Center at http://www.familytreedna.com/learn/a...raw-data-file/

Mr. W.

Comment

Is there a searchable autosomal DNA database online into which I can put my raw data (if I ever figure out how to view it) and check for matches myself? I've done that with my mutations on a previous MtDNA test. I want to actively check myself, not just wait for Family Tree to find my matches.
                Yes, Gedmatch.com. They have excellent matching and analysis tools, but are run by two busy volunteers so they have occasional glitches and down time. However, the site is free and very useful.

Comment

Yes, Gedmatch.com. They have excellent matching and analysis tools, but are run by two busy volunteers so they have occasional glitches and down time. However, the site is free and very useful.
                  With gedmatch, you are dependent on who uploads their kits to the database. I am finding Genome Mate very useful:

http://genomemate.org/

If you have tested with several services, you can get all of your matches together in one place. You can also see who shares individual chromosome segments.

Comment

Fam. Finder Match Questions

Yes, Gedmatch.com.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I am finding Genome Mate very useful:

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                        With gedmatch, you are dependent on who uploads their kits to the database. I am finding Genome Mate very useful:

If you have tested with several services, you can get all of your matches together in one place. You can also see who shares individual chromosome segments.
                        OK, I just downloaded this and LOVE IT! Thank you for sharing the suggestion. I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to sort and save all this information in a meaningful way where I can compare, research, organize etc and I think I found it! I haven't figured out how to use all of the features yet, but I just downloaded Chromosome Browser info on matches for me, husband, and father in just a few short minutes and already see a lot of clarity in my confusion! Now I have to do my kids

Comment

Working...
                        X