Hello I am New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello I am New

i just wanted to say I've only been doing my research since mid January, if anyone can tell me if FTDNA is linked to a site or software that works like family tree maker does with ancestry? Also, I am so lost here in FTDNA land, any tips?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Hello Infantry169

I have been here about 1 year. I am sorta lost & confused here also. I have been using Family Tree Maker & Ancestry since 1999. That has been easy & useful to me. But I have yet to see where I am going with DNA to find links to my tree. I just see things that suggest thousands of years ago.

Comment

MyHeritage.com is a family tree making site that also resells FTDNA tests, but I don't think the relationship is very close.

Comment

Hi Infantry

Originally posted by Infantry169 View Post
        i just wanted to say I've only been doing my research since mid January, if anyone can tell me if FTDNA is linked to a site or software that works like family tree maker does with ancestry? Also, I am so lost here in FTDNA land, any tips?

Sorry for the dumb questions.
        Your questions are not dumb - we have all been there. When starting out on a family history journey (2004) I began with Ancestry.com. Yes, this does cost money but it has helped me with research - can't afford to go cross country. Just remember there are a number of errors associated with some of the ancestry trees. I also used Family Tree Maker. Not an expensive piece of software, but easy to use and there is a Ancestry subscription discount associated with purchase of software. I also used a number of free online sources.
        DNA testing has been the most challenging- just started this year. Have been challenged with this company and also with understanding the results. I have taken each test, Family Finder, Y-DNA, and mtDNA, and studied each one to try and understand better. Sometimes the comments in the forums get me more confused. The download that FTDNA offers for help in understanding results has been really helpful and it suggests other online educational sites.
        Best of luck in your research.

Comment

No genealogy software programs work directly with FTDNA trees, but I use Roots Magic to manage my trees on my computer. It exports gedcom files that can be uploaded to FTDNA or elsewhere. I also have trees on Ancestry and My Heritage that I use it for instead of using their programs that want to take control of it all.

Comment

Working...
          X