mtDNA Matches Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA Matches Map

On my mt DNA matches map my eldest male ancestor is showing up. Shouldn't it be the eldest female ancestor that we've found on my Mother's side that shows up on this map as I've entered in my account settings?

Thanks

it probably should show your most distant maternal line ancestor.

I checked my fathers kit (HVR1/HVR2) and my Aunts (FMS) and when I click on their mtDNA matches map it list their most distant paternal ancestor for themselves. But when on my aunts map, pin for my father lists maternal ancestor, when on my fathers, pin for my aunt shows her maternal ancestor.

So even though paternal ancestors is shown when viewing kits maps for the kit holder, matches when they view their map will see your maternal ancestor listed not the paternal

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I would think my place marker for my eldest maternal should show up. This is very odd. Is it a glitch in FTDNA?

Gab

Comment

Yes Gabriel, you are right. You have discovered an annoying glitch in the Matches Maps.

And when viewing any mtDNA map one selects Update Ancestor's Location the patrilineal information is presented on the maternal side (right-hand side).

W. (Mr.)
        Last edited by dna; 11 May 2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Reporting a bug in the Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Based on the above discussion, I posted a bug report in the Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Thank you Gabriel and prairielad.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

My advice to the software developer who broke it:

- You should learn the basic ideas behind each test FTDNA offers.

- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Also, do not change existing functionality, unless you are authorized to do so.

- Beware the dangers of copy-paste coding.

- Do not commit untested code into version control system so that it will be deployed into production system.

- Be a pro-quality person. Quick-and-dirty and ad hoc solutions will be costly in the long run. Strive for good practices and processes for your own good.

Comment

Originally posted by 192971 View Post
              My advice to the software developer who broke it:

- You should learn the basic ideas behind each test FTDNA offers.

- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Also, do not change existing functionality, unless you are authorized to do so.

- Beware the dangers of copy-paste coding.

- Do not commit untested code into version control system so that it will be deployed into production system.

- Be a pro-quality person. Quick-and-dirty and ad hoc solutions will be costly in the long run. Strive for good practices and processes for your own good.
              + test from Internet, as QC using only the internal network is not enough

Comment

Working...
              X