Ancestry DNA is offer DNA test for 99$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry DNA is offer DNA test for 99$

I have been asking other family members to submit DNA for test to Family Tree. Several members have asked if the Ancestry DNA is the same and can be used to compare against Family Tree test.
    Can the the results of these two methods be shared and used by the other?

No they are not the same. AncestryDNA is useless because they don't offer a chromosome browser. Family Tree DNA does offer a chromosome browser. If your family members take AncestryDNA test, they should upload their raw DNA results to Gedmatch.com where they can compare with cousins who have tested with Family Tree DNA and 23andme.

Gedmatch.com is run by volunteers funded by donations.

Comment

If you have relatives who have tested with Ancestry they can also transfer their results to FTDNA for a fee. This will give them access to matches on FTDNA who may not have uploaded to gedmatch.

Comment

Anyone who tests at AncestryDNA can upload their raw data into FTDNA's Family Finder database. That can be done for either a reduced price of $39 (Family Finder is regularly $99) or for free if you're able to get four others to use a link for uploading AncestryDNA raw data that FTDNA gives you for their "sneak peek" of their top 20 matches in the database. Until you either pay $39 or get four others to use your link, you'll only have a "sneak peek" at your top 20 matches, with no ability to contact these matches or see their trees.

It's recommended that adoptees and others trying to knock down relatively recent brick walls test at all three autosomal testing companies - FTDNA, AncestryDNA and 23andMe. It's called fishing in all ponds.

Comment

This ISOGG Comparison Chart might help......

Originally posted by JACMC View Post
          I have been asking other family members to submit DNA for test to Family Tree. Several members have asked if the Ancestry DNA is the same and can be used to compare against Family Tree test.
          Can the the results of these two methods be shared and used by the other?
          http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_...mparison_chart

Comment

AncestryDNA

Ancestry DNA is different, true. Ancestry does the autosomal DNA test, as opposed to the Y-DNA, which traces only the male line. But the Ancestry test is far from useless, and it is even more valuable than Y-DNA test sometimes.

For example, in my case, I hit a roadblock in my line. I was able to identify the grandfather of the roadblock because he was the only member of my heritage to marry a "Durrett". My Ancestry test identified over a dozen DNA links to the this "Durrett" woman's family. Such a link would not have been picked up with a Y-DNA test.

My point is that one would be wise to do both autosomal and Y-DNA testing, if one can afford it. If I only could do one, I would do autosomal, as it can help with both male and female ancestors.

Just my opinion and my experience.
            Last edited by mikechilds54; 15 April 2015, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikechilds54 View Post
              Ancestry DNA is different, true. Ancestry does the autosomal DNA test, as opposed to the Y-DNA, which traces only the male line. But the Ancestry test is far from useless, and it is even more valuable than Y-DNA test sometimes.

For example, in my case, I hit a roadblock in my line. I was able to identify the grandfather of the roadblock because he was the only member of my heritage to marry a "Durrett". My Ancestry test identified over a dozen DNA links to the this "Durrett" woman's family. Such a link would not have been picked up with a Y-DNA test.

My point is that one would be wise to do both autosomal and Y-DNA testing, if one can afford it. If I only could do one, I would do autosomal, as it can help with both male and female ancestors.

Just my opinion and my experience.
              Just some broader picture:
              • FTDNA offers of choice of tests:
                • autosomal (Family Finder)
                • FMS (mtDNA, tracing matrilineal relationships only)
                • Y DNA STRs & SNPs (tracing patrilineal relationships only)
                • additional tests e.g. X STR markers.
              • Autosomal tracing is limited to finding recent relationships.
              • mtDNA and Y DNA results allow one to go much, much deeper, but usually one cannot estimate the level of relationship.

As usual with any genealogical research, all**** the avenues should be explored. And as in any genealogical research, funding is often a limiting factor.

W. (Mr.)

**** Not every test makes sense for everybody. The best known exception: Y DNA tests cannot be taken by women.

Comment

Working...
              X