Adopted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopted

Hi, brand spankin' new to this.. I'm adopted and I believe I know the name of my birth father. Very common, Irish descent. I really just want to find a place to..belong I guess. Would one of these tests be able to verify at least a surname? Should I mention the surname or will it just match me someplace? At this point, it would be really cool to just be able to say from what country I originated for example. I can't explain this, but if you are in my situation you could understand I guess. Also, what test would anyone recommend?? I'm a teacher. I don't have much loot, so economy at this point is desireable. Thanks for any input you might have.

Found birthparents..sorta

Hi BMiller,
    Before we can suggest any sort of test..are you male or female?
    I'm an adoptee as well..male..and I used and am using the Y-DNA tests in an attempt to locate my bio-granddad.
    You must bear in mind that this genealogical testing will never *prove* relationships. It can be a strong indicator but somewhere, a paper trail is needed for what oen might consider "proof".
    The Y-DNA for males is, of course, a better indicator of possilbe surname relatedness .. the mtDNA tests will indicate a maternal line .. could be useful in helping to determine siblingship if your mother is common to both of you.
    Two brothers could use y-dna which will be the same for each if you have a father in common .
    A brother and sister would have to use the siblingship test route which thankfully is coming down in price!
    I found a gentleman who filled nearly every portion of the description my mother gave the adoption agency and DNA turned out to show he was (as he isisted) NOT my father .. but the good news is I did find my father's family (my 3 sisters) a short time later.

If I can be of any help you further, please feel free to contact me off list.

ChrisS

Comment

I'm male!

My alleged birthfather's surname is listed as one of the names on the surname project. Would they be able to a relationship to that family at some point? It would at least be a place to start. I think I have found the maternal connection too, but there are lots of problems there and the comunication has turned sour. So, that's where I am. I think perhaps it would be good to chat off forum. thanks for the help.

Comment

adopted also

Hi, I am adopted also and am interested in this to find out what area I might have come from. However, since I am female and have no biological male relatives that are known I probably won't find out my male line. I am interested Chris that you found actual people. Thanks for your stories, Marian

Comment

Originally posted by bmiller2255
          My alleged birthfather's surname is listed as one of the names on the surname project. Would they be able to a relationship to that family at some point? It would at least be a place to start. I think I have found the maternal connection too, but there are lots of problems there and the comunication has turned sour. So, that's where I am. I think perhaps it would be good to chat off forum. thanks for the help.
          On the Surname Project page there may be an email address of the project administrator, why not post that person a note and explain your situation. They would have suggestions - tests and ways of making discrete inquiries, etc.

Good luck!

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X