searching the mtDNA database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching the mtDNA database

Has anyone figured out how to search the www.mitosearch.org in ways other than by haplogrup or sequence?
    I'm guessing that familytreedna doesn't want its 18,000 record public database THAT public - a little fustrating since we all contributed our data to it.
    Sure would be great for research purposes to be able to search in other ways. e.g. look up the town youre interested in to compile frequencies of the different haplogroup for that town. Perhaps they are saving that potential for themselves. A bit cynical I guess, but I'm frustrated.

I have no idea where my maternal line was 10,000 years ago so a search by town would be of no value to me. Since you want to be able to search that way I assume you do.

Comment

I understand that searching the mitosearch database can be a bit frustrating, but I don't think it's the fault of FTDNA. The information which can be displayed in the database must be provided by users first, and I'm afraid this information isn't very extensive as yet. Too few customers have tested their subclades, which means that HVR matches must be taken with a grain of salt in the first place.
      As far as location is concerned, the poor resolution of mtDNA can only be linked to broad geographical locations, and you can search for these. Since you cannot search for towns in Ysearch either (if I'm not mistaken), mtDNA customers are not really off any worse.
      If I search for my haplogroup H1a in Western Europe, mitosearch returns four results, with four different towns, from which I conclude that these entries are not recently related. I don't think a more detailed search mask is necessary to provide me with the same results.

Comment

There are I beleive currently 18,000 sequences of mtDNA on the database- it's possible I got that wrong, but if it's right, that's a pretty big number for doing all sorts of research.

For instance, suppose I wanted to see the distribution of haplogroups for mtDNA for a specific country, say France. If I could search for France, I could first see how many sequences were from France. I could then see what percent there is of each haplogroup for sequences from France. The only way to do that know would be to search within every singe haplogroup seperately, and limiting by geographic region. Given how many haplogroups there are, that is very time consuming. Direct search for France is 1 step. it would be very easy to program a search option within "country of origin"

I guess if all you want is to compare your own sequence to see how many matches you get, or if you're only intersted in your own haplogroup, or a haplogroup analysis, the search options are fine. But there are so many other things that can be done with the database and I suspect they are doing precisely that.

another example. suppose you are interested in "gypsy" or romany heritige- either because you are or are just interested. You could search by keyword "gypsy" or "romany" and see the distibution of haplogroups. Or "native american" which is of interest to quite a few people, and see which haplogroups native americans have and at what frequency. It would also be sensible to see where one falls within that list, if for instance, one was native american. is the haplogroup you have shared by 1% of other native americns or 10%?

(the y data base may be equally inaccessible; I did not mean to imply mtDNA was worse).

Does anyone else agree about search options?

Comment

Working...
        X