Where is the Native American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the Native American?

I am just getting used to the site and was surprised with my origin results are. My grandfather was full blooded Mohawk (part of the Iroquois). I have photos, history, pictures etc. I figured there may be some diluting from way back if some intermingled with non natives but not as much as I found. I almost thought they mixed up tests or something.

From what I know, my grandfather was full Mohawk (his parents were and each of their parents were). He married my grandmother whose parents were both from Hungary and Magyar. They are on my mother's side. My Dad's side has German (his grandfather was full) and the rest of his is mixed with most being in the US as far back as I can trace to the 1850 or so. I am just wondering what would explain the Native American being so low and not around the 25% range.

94% European with
    62% West and Cent. Europe
    13% Scandinavia
    12% Eastern Europe
    7% Finland and Northern Siberia

New World
    5% Native American

Central/South Asian
    2% Central Asia

In addition

In addition, it is from my mother's father so I only have the FF autosomal testing done so far.

Comment

For starters, my understanding is that the sample groups for Native American are small and mostly come from South/Central America, not North America. As such, people who have Native American ancestry from North America often come back with little to no Native American DNA results, because there's no similar sample group for their DNA to match with.

Secondly, it's also important to understand that ethnicity gets inherited randomly. We don't get exactly 25% from each grandparent, it may be more or less than that. For example, I had one Italian grandparent but I am actually 37% Italian, not 25%. While I happened to inherit more than 25, we can inherit less than 25% too. I wouldn't normally expect it to be as low as 5% but that might be where my first point comes into play too.

Lastly, because the percentages are calculated by comparing your DNA to sample groups of people who are from the different regions designated (people who say all four of their grandparents were born in the same region/to the same heritage), it means that different companies with different sample groups may yield different results. FTDNA don't make it as clear as other companies but the percentages are only estimates. They are not exact and they should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Comment

Try gedmatch

Try using the admix utilities at gedmatch.com

The Eurogenes k9b filter is supposed to be equivalent to the Geno 2.0 predictions and most folks seem to think Geno 2.0 has the best ethnicity predictions.

I have seen FF ethnicity results from several folks in the northeast US who have documented Native (Algonkian rather than Iroquois) and their ethnicity predictions are falling into the correct ballpark %. So I think Natives from the northeast may be reasonably well represented in most predictions.
        Last edited by Canyon Wolf; 30 March 2015, 12:07 PM. Reason: missing info

Comment

Originally posted by DanD View Post
          I am just getting used to the site and was surprised with my origin results are. My grandfather was full blooded Mohawk (part of the Iroquois). I have photos, history, pictures etc. I figured there may be some diluting from way back if some intermingled with non natives but not as much as I found. I almost thought they mixed up tests or something.

From what I know, my grandfather was full Mohawk (his parents were and each of their parents were). He married my grandmother whose parents were both from Hungary and Magyar. They are on my mother's side. My Dad's side has German (his grandfather was full) and the rest of his is mixed with most being in the US as far back as I can trace to the 1850 or so. I am just wondering what would explain the Native American being so low and not around the 25% range.

94% European with
          62% West and Cent. Europe
          13% Scandinavia
          12% Eastern Europe
          7% Finland and Northern Siberia

New World
          5% Native American

Central/South Asian
          2% Central Asia
          DanD,

Your grandfather was not full blooded Mohawk. There are plenty of people with Native American ancestry in the U.S. that get a lot of Native American in their DNA results. That being said myOrigins does a very poor job for Native American ancestry and assigns too much of it as Northeast Asian, which you don't have, and sometimes as Siberian. You can use the various calculators at Gedmatch and add the Native American, East Asian, and Siberian and you should get a higher amount. You can also test with AncestryDNA and 23andme to see what you get. However, you will probably only get a maximum of 12.5% which would mean that your grandfather was half Native American. If you get less then your grandfather was less than half Native American.

edit -

I see we already discussed your situation.

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=37180
          Last edited by Armando; 30 March 2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X