Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP PLEASE - How Accurate is the Family Finder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE - How Accurate is the Family Finder?

Hi,
    Am VERY new to this & only just starting my research but it would help if I know just how accurate the Family Finder heat map really is.
    For example, according to my attached heat maps does my Southern European heritage hail primarily from Sardinia & Naples? Or is it just that those areas are slap bang in the middle of Southern Europe? Likewise, if various relatives are spread throughout Southern Europe did they remain in the very South as opposed to heading to Northern Spain or is the shape of Spain such that Bilbao doesn't get a look in as it's just outside the general Southern Europe shape?
    Likewise, I know my British & Northern European genes are from my maternal side & the Southern European stems from the paternal side. However, over time it is possible that some French crept into the maternal side? Is that why Switzerland is at the epicentre of my Central European map - a mix of various ancestors throughout France or that I have a whole Swiss family out there I wasn't aware of?
    How far back does this analysis go? I realise the relative match finder reaches as far 5 generations but does that mean the Family Finder heat map only refers to your 32 great-great-great grandparents or is a summary of your overall genetic make-up? I just joined Gedmatch and I'm guessing the 50 000 year old Denisovan female found in Siberia that I'm descended from has been pretty much diluted now.
    All help appreciated. I'd just like to know who I am. Thanks all.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by sally56130 View Post
    Hi,
    Am VERY new to this & only just starting my research but it would help if I know just how accurate the Family Finder heat map really is.
    For example, according to my attached heat maps does my Southern European heritage hail primarily from Sardinia & Naples? Or is it just that those areas are slap bang in the middle of Southern Europe?
    It's just that those areas are in the middle of Southern Europe. The ethnicity results are not that specific.

Likewise, if various relatives are spread throughout Southern Europe did they remain in the very South as opposed to heading to Northern Spain or is the shape of Spain such that Bilbao doesn't get a look in as it's just outside the general Southern Europe shape?
    That's not really something the results can tell you. Keep in mind the way the results are produced is by comparing your DNA with a current sample group of people from that region - people who say all four of their grandparents were born in the same region. That is literally all it means, is that this portion or percentage of your DNA was most similar to the sample group from Southern Europe.

Likewise, I know my British & Northern European genes are from my maternal side & the Southern European stems from the paternal side. However, over time it is possible that some French crept into the maternal side? Is that why Switzerland is at the epicentre of my Central European map - a mix of various ancestors throughout France or that I have a whole Swiss family out there I wasn't aware of?
    No, again, it's not that specific.

How far back does this analysis go? I realise the relative match finder reaches as far 5 generations but does that mean the Family Finder heat map only refers to your 32 great-great-great grandparents or is a summary of your overall genetic make-up? I just joined Gedmatch and I'm guessing the 50 000 year old Denisovan female found in Siberia that I'm descended from has been pretty much diluted now.
    I think it's valid within a few hundred years but there's no precise date that applies to all results.

Comment

Hi,
      For example, according to my attached heat maps does my Southern European heritage hail primarily from Sardinia & Naples? Or is it just that those areas are slap bang in the middle of Southern Europe? Likewise, if various relatives are spread throughout Southern Europe did they remain in the very South as opposed to heading to Northern Spain or is the shape of Spain such that Bilbao doesn't get a look in as it's just outside the general Southern Europe shape?
      I believe that FF is very accurate.

Comment

Comparative Maps

Hi,
        Thank you for your comments. Does anyone else have a DNA map including Southern Europe so I can compare please? I.e. Does anyone have one which centres on Portugal or Spain or are they all identical to mine, covering a mass area with Sardinia at the centre?

Comment

I monitor 11 kits, some of whom have the "Southern Europe" cluster in their ethnic makeup.

The cluster for Southern Europe is exactly the same shape and placement for the three kits I checked. The only difference is the intensity of the color - if darker, it indicates a higher percentage for S.E.; if lighter, a lower percentage. The darkest part of the heat map goes over Sardinia.

It's the same for a couple of my kits who have "Western and Central Europe;" shape and placement are exactly the same, with Switzerland in the center. I'm sure it's the same for any of the clusters, on any kit's myOrigins map.

As Germanica told you, these things are not that specific. They're just there to give you an idea of possible range. They can't tease out the fine differences between these current-day European countries, because the DNA is just too similar.

You have to take the whole myOrigins, or any ethnic makeup tool (biogeographical predictions) with a big fat grain of salt. They look fascinating and are very tempting to believe, but are really valid for the most general breakdown, so don't stress out over it.

Comment

Well, time for editing my last post ran out before I could add these links, which may help the original poster, so here they are:
            Click on the map at the top of the above page to enlarge the image of the population clusters (you can enlarge it even further by clicking on the "X," or crossed arrows, at top right of the first enlarged image). The Southern Europe and Western & Central Europe clusters appear in red on this version. You can see that the shapes are boilerplate, same ones used for anyone that has a particular cluster.

Comment

Hi,
              Thank you for your comments. Does anyone else have a DNA map including Southern Europe so I can compare please? I.e. Does anyone have one which centres on Portugal or Spain or are they all identical to mine, covering a mass area with Sardinia at the centre?
              This is mine: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8yTNzwCtV-...0/FTDNAmap.jpg

And this is an example heat map from FTDNA: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...05/heatmap.png

As you can see, the size, shape, and positioning of the regions are exactly the same.

Comment

Sardinia

So you mean watching the box set of The Godfather, signing up for intermediate online Italian, booking the fortnight in Cagliari & a whole half day making homemade linguine was in vain? Ok I exaggerate but I did spend about 2 hours Googling it & now have to email all my friends to tell them I'm not actually Sardinian. Seriously, any suggestions on easily accessible external websites which can analyse autosomal data with more accuracy anyone? Thanks for putting those maps up by the way. They were really useful.

Comment

Why don't you upload your autosomal data to Gedmatch and try several calculators there ?

Comment

Hi,
                    I believe in the not too distant future they will be able to refine the clusters and some people will still not be happy with the results.

Comment

So you mean watching the box set of The Godfather, signing up for intermediate online Italian, booking the fortnight in Cagliari & a whole half day making homemade linguine was in vain? Ok I exaggerate but I did spend about 2 hours Googling it & now have to email all my friends to tell them I'm not actually Sardinian.
                      You don't know that you're not though. The results aren't that specific, it's not telling you whether you are or are not Sardinian. If your paper research proves you have Sardinian then that's likely where the Southern European results come from.

Seriously, any suggestions on easily accessible external websites which can analyse autosomal data with more accuracy anyone? Thanks for putting those maps up by the way. They were really useful.
                      It's not really possible since the mixing of DNA across large regions means that most Europeans have very similar DNA, impossible to distinguish from one another with any accuracy.

As mentioned, you can upload your data to Gedmatch.com for free - they have several admixture calculators that might provide some more info but keep in mind, they are still only estimates that vary depending on the calculator and sample groups.

Comment

Working...
                      X