Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which group is most/best represented at FTDNA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which group is most/best represented at FTDNA?

Hi!

Lately I've been wondering which ethnic group or nationality is most represented in the Family Tree DNA database. I have the most common haplogroup in Europe, but my results are lacking. I know lot of Americans with European origins test with FTDNA, so I'm a bit confused by that. I also have the most common maternal haplogroup in Europe and the lack of results disappointed me too.
    I have a feeling the Ashkenazim test via FTDNA a lot but this could be pure speculation. Anyone have any guesses on which ethnic groups are best represented in the database? I hope my question makes sense.

Do you mean:
    - In absolute numbers, or
    - Proportional to current population, or
    - Proportional to pre-colonial (1500 A.D.) population?

My own guesses:

In absolute numbers, the British Isles are unquestionably the most heavily represented in FTDNA's database.

Proportional to pre-1500AD population, Ashkenazi Jews and the British Isles are best represented, mostly because these two groups have undergone the most rapid demographic expansions over the past 500 years.

Proportional to current population, FTDNA's database reflects Americans most heavily; and among them, Ashkenazi Jews and descendants of pre-Revolutionary colonists (therefore mostly British Isles) are probably best represented, IMHO.

But this should not discourage anyone from testing. Instead, you can spark interest in testing among members of your ethnic group!
    Last edited by lgmayka; 21 March 2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

If you do not have very many matches that can be sort of exciting in a way. You may potentially be able to be a pioneer of defining your own little corner of the Y-DNA phylogenetic tree.

Comment

Finns are especially well tested at FTDNA. Very soon Finland DNA Project will have one participant of every thousand people currently living in Finland. Of course considerable amount of them are Finnish Americans, but still it is quite a feature.

The main reason may be that Finnish genealogy tends to be quite productive. (I have found about 1000 my ancestors this far, and my roots are not anything special.)

Comment

Population
          Western European 46.90%
          Siberian -
          East African 0.15%
          West Central Asian 3.02%
          South Asian 1.92%
          West African -
          Caucasus 4.80%
          Finnish 5.77%
          Mediterranean 10.86%
          Southwest Asian -
          North European 26.57%
          East Asian -

Here are my Eurogenes K12b results. MyOrigins results are 100% European .

Comment

Originally posted by schnook View Post
            Hi!

Lately I've been wondering which ethnic group or nationality is most represented in the Family Tree DNA database.
            Anyone have any guesses on which ethnic groups are best represented in the database? I hope my question makes sense.
            Excellent question Schnook.

It would be great if FTDNA would publish some hard statistics on the makeup of the database.
            We can only hope that FTDNA read this thread and act on it.

IANA Statistician, but I figure...
            • The sample size is very small compared to the world population.
            • The sample is very biased as it represents only the individuals that choose to purchase dna testing.

The sample bias would mirror the market penetration though advertising and word of mouth promotion for each regional/cultural group. And one might guess that the market penetration would be highest in the US, with other countries following in some order. Cultural proclivities toward an interest in 'genealogy' would play some part.

It would be nice if FTDNA could supply some hard stats.
            A breakdown by country would be handy.
            A breakdown by test type might be of interest (but is probably company confidential).
            A breakdown by haplogroup would be invaluable to group administrators!

(they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease)

Comment

Originally posted by 192971 View Post
              Finns are especially well tested at FTDNA. Very soon Finland DNA Project will have one participant of every thousand people currently living in Finland.....
              Wonderful!
              If only our surname project could boast such penetration.
              We have about 150 members, but this is minute compared with the total world population of that surname.
              Those interested in surname populations may like to check out this great site - http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org

Comment

Thanks for everybody's response!

Now I'm thinking how some groups are severely under represented in the database. I believe this kind of testing is illegal in France, and it's banned in some US states. So French people are under-represented, as are people from Maryland. (Not that Maryland is a nationality but you catch my drift) (And I THINK it's Maryland where this stuff is illegal)

Especially interested in that surname website, thanks flanged! I'm trying to figure out more information about my surname - it's English apparently but it's also found in some Ashkenazim so I'm really intrigued by what kind of people have the name. Especially since I'm trying to trace Jewish ancestry in my family. So thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by flanged View Post
                  [----] The sample is very biased as it represents only the individuals that choose to purchase dna testing [----] And one might guess that the market penetration would be highest in the US, with other countries following in some order
                  Depends on GDP and English language?

Originally posted by flanged View Post
                  It would be nice if FTDNA could supply some hard stats.
                  A breakdown by country would be handy.
                  A breakdown by test type might be of interest (but is probably company confidential).
                  A breakdown by haplogroup would be invaluable to group administrators!
                  A breakdown by country is probably company confidential, too (for the same reasons).

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Hi!

Lately I've been wondering which ethnic group or nationality is most represented in the Family Tree DNA database. I have the most common haplogroup in Europe, but my results are lacking. I know lot of Americans with European origins test with FTDNA, so I'm a bit confused by that. I also have the most common maternal haplogroup in Europe and the lack of results disappointed me too.
                    I have a feeling the Ashkenazim test via FTDNA a lot but this could be pure speculation. Anyone have any guesses on which ethnic groups are best represented in the database? I hope my question makes sense.
                    The Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                      The Irish.
                      I take your point especially since Irish-Americans love to trace their roots back to Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by 192971 View Post
                        Finns are especially well tested at FTDNA.
                        Very true!

Comment

[----] Now I'm thinking how some groups are severely under represented in the database. I believe this kind of testing is illegal in France, and it's banned in some US states. So French people are under-represented, as are people from Maryland. (Not that Maryland is a nationality but you catch my drift) (And I THINK it's Maryland where this stuff is illegal) [----]
                          23andMe has some issues in Maryland and in the state of New York, and that is clearly explained in their FAQ. It does not look like that in any way applies to testing with FTDNA .

On the other hand, France looks like a special case. I wonder whether anybody can explain their situation as far as genealogical testing in plain English

23andMe claims that it is shipping to France. Also according to Does Family Tree DNA ship internationally? http://www.familytreedna.com/learn/f...-destinations/
                          There are some countries where shipping requires special processing. These are Brazil, Japan, Mexico, Russia, and Saudi Arabia. There are two countries whose customs restrictions prevent us from shipping to them. They are Sudan and Iran.
                          Anyone?

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Did some analysis of global surname frequency for my project. You may be interested to do your own.
                            I have X'd out the surname for confidentiality.
                            Interesting to note that the frequency for this celtic surname is higher in some colonial countries than the UK.
                            Excuse the crappy layout below.

Estimate of global population of the Xxxxx surname, using...
                            Population per country - data from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population.
                            Top 10 Xxxxx frequency by country - data from http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org.
                            Xxxxx frequency for the rest of the world (ie, background frequency) is guestimated at 0.5 per million.

Country_______________Frequency_p/m___Population_____Xxxxx
                            Australia_____________472.59__________23784200____ ___11240
                            New_Zealand___________431.71__________4569840_____ ____1973
                            United_Kingdom________407.14__________64105654____ ___26100
                            Canada________________396.09__________35675834____ ___14131
                            United_States_________203.14__________320637000___ ___65134
                            Sweden_________________53.09__________9753627_____ _____518
                            Ireland________________36.68__________4609600_____ _____169
                            Norway_________________16.68__________5165802_____ ______86
                            Switzerland_____________7.67__________8211700_____ ______63
                            Denmark_________________7.32__________5659715_____ ______41
                            Rest_of_the_world_______0.50__________6747827028__ ____3374
                            _______________________16.99__________7230000000__ __122829

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                              23andMe has some issues in Maryland and in the state of New York, and that is clearly explained in their FAQ. It does not look like that in any way applies to testing with FTDNA .

On the other hand, France looks like a special case. I wonder whether anybody can explain their situation as far as genealogical testing in plain English

23andMe claims that it is shipping to France. Also according to Does Family Tree DNA ship internationally? http://www.familytreedna.com/learn/f...-destinations/

Anyone?

W. (Mr.)

Ohhh, I apologise. I got my companies mixed up for that. >.<

Comment

Working...
                              X