What test to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What test to use?

I supposedly have a Native American ancestor, and I'd like to find out if this is true by using a DNA test. This individual was (again, supposedly) my grandfathers mother. How could I test for this? Would it be my mother who has to be tested?

Sorry... I should probably be a bit more clear. The person in question is my Mothers-Fathers-Mother.

Also - An ancient relative of mine is supposedly Llewellyn the great. Again, this mystery comes from my Mothers-Fathers side. Is it possible to test for this?
    Last edited by sucoyant; 1 March 2006, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Neither a yDNA nor an mtDNA test will disclose the ancestry of that grandparent as she does not stand on either of the direct paternal or maternal lines.

You might consider an autosomal DNA test - if that grandmother was fully American Indian you could expect to show about 12.5% American Indian. At present there are only two companies offering such tests - www.ancetrybydna.com and www.dnatribes.com. A third company - www.ethnoancestry.com - has promised the release of their version some time this year.

A better way of testing ancestry on your mother's line is via an analysis of your x-chromosome. If you are willing to do your own research into population distributions of x-chromosome STR's, you might want to follow developments at - www.dna-fingerprint.com

Comment

Ooops - www.ancestrybydna.com

Comment

Sorry ... yes, your mother would be the better candidate for an autosomal DNA test for American Indian ancestry because if such ancestry is in her line it would be more apparent in her DNA than in yours - minor admixtures result in low scores that are ambiguous due to the statistical nature of these tests.

At present, the only hope of identifying Llewellyn or Welsh ancestry is via an autosomal STR test - DNA-Fingerprint, DNATribes, Ethnoancestry - there are online databases of population frequencies of STR's because they are the basis of law enforcement/forensic tests. DNATribes offers the 13 CODIS STR markers which are the American standard for such purposes. Ethnoancestry is promising a 100 STR test, and DNA-Fingerprint will test whatever you want but you will have to do your own pop.-freq. research.

If you are interested in an x-chromosome "project" around American Indian ancestry, tap back. I am Haplogroup C and, according to Ancestry by DNA, 31% American Indian, and, according to DNATribes, fairly-likely to be of a tribe of the Upper Midwest.

Tom

Comment

Back again. I best add, before another corrects me, that you could test maternal great aunts and uncles, if available, and if y- or mt-haplogroup definitions will suffice. Unfortunately or fortunately, at present there are more refined tests for y-haplogroups. Subclade testing of mt-haplogroups has barely begun with FTDNA offering subclades of H - the largest Euro mt-haplogroup.

Comment

Originally posted by sucoyant
              Sorry... I should probably be a bit more clear. The person in question is my Mothers-Fathers-Mother.

Also - An ancient relative of mine is supposedly Llewellyn the great. Again, this mystery comes from my Mothers-Fathers side. Is it possible to test for this?
              sucoyant,

You might find the answer to the Native American question by testing someone who carries your great grandmother's mtDNA. It would have to be her sons or her daughters. Next in line would be her daughter's daughters. After that it would be their daughters and so on. Does she have a line of female descendants? Also, was she full blooded Indian? If not, she might carry the mtDNA of a European even though she was mostly Native American.

Comment

Working...
              X