Common matches, but don't turn up in my search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common matches, but don't turn up in my search

One of my Family Finder matches gave me the names of two matches of hers that she has in common with me.

When I click Show All Matches and search for either of those names, however, they do not come up; in other words, they are not among my matches. (Other matches I have in common with her do show up in searches--just not those two.)

How is this possible?

Thank you,

David

Find her name on your list and click In Common With(Show Full view > Common Matches) and see if they come up.

Depending on how your are entering name given, there maybe a spelling discrepancy. When I search for a name in list, I only enter a part of the name.
    ie Jane Alice Doe , I just use Jane, Alice or Doe.
    Last edited by prairielad; 13 March 2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
      Find her name on your list and click In Common With(Show Full view > Common Matches) and see if they come up.

Depending on how your are entering name given, there maybe a spelling discrepancy. When I search for a name in list, I only enter a part of the name.
      ie Jane Alice Doe , I just use Jane, Alice or Doe.
      Thank you for your suggestions--I appreciate your help.

When I find her name on my list and click Show Full View > In Common With, the two matches don't come up. I also downloaded the list--and my entire Family Finder list--but they aren't there either.

Also, I have tried many different ways of entering the names, including your method of entering only the first part of the name. (They are very common ones and easy to spell; one is three letters.)

I am mystified--

David
      Last edited by DavidB; 13 March 2015, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Another thing to check is your match and email settings.

Settings>Account Settings Tab>match and email settings

in the Family Finder Matches & Email Notifications section make sure all categories are set to yes.

Comment

If that doesn't work ask your match to confirm that these two names show up as In Common with you when they click on the In Common With function below your name in their list.

Comment

The only other reason, I can think of is that maybe these two matches have disabled their match and email notification for the Speculative Category.

If you fall into the Speculative (4th to Remote) category on their list, you will be hidden on their list and they would be hidden on yours. one person adjusting this setting affects both lists

But this should not show these matches as In Common with you on your match in Questions list unless there is some glitch in the software's In Common With function that does not overlook these hidden match categories.

Comment

If that doesn't work ask your match to confirm that these two names show up as In Common with you when they click on the In Common With function below your name in their list.
              She sent me a screen shot for one of the names--I'll ask her to confirm again.

David

Comment

The only other reason, I can think of is that maybe these two matches have disabled their match and email notification for the Speculative Category.

If you fall into the Speculative (4th to Remote) category on their list, you will be hidden on their list and they would be hidden on yours. one person adjusting this setting affects both lists

But this should not show these matches as In Common with you on your match in Questions list unless there is some glitch in the software's In Common With function that does not overlook these hidden match categories.
                That makes sense--they don't appear as matches on my list because they are too distant but they do appear as matches on the other person's list because they are closer to her.

Maybe she can ask them if they have disabled the Speculative category.

By the way, if I understand your last paragraph correctly, they don't show as In Common with me--they don't appear on my list at all. They only appear as In Common with me on the other person's list.

David
                Last edited by DavidB; 13 March 2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post

By the way, if I understand your last paragraph correctly, they don't show as In Common with me--they don't appear on my list at all. They only appear as In Common with me on the other person's list.

David
                  What I was getting at was that if these 2 matches have disabled this category, your match(one that told you these names) should not be able to see that you share these two matches, unless this In common with feature compares all, including hidden which "technically" it should not be doing.
                  It should be comparing only non hidden matches.

Comment

What I was getting at was that if these 2 matches have disabled this category, your match(one that told you these names) should not be able to see that you share these two matches, unless this In common with feature compares all, including hidden which "technically" it should not be doing.
                    It should be comparing only non hidden matches.
                    Thank you for clarifying--now I get it.

If that is true, though, it would seem that there is a serious bug in the software. As I mentioned, I will try to get the other person to confirm all the steps.

David

Comment

David: I don't think it is a bug in the software. I have my brother's test set to get all matches, mine is set not to get speculative matches.

However, I can do an "in common with matching" on my brother's test using one of his speculative matches and my test will show up having something in common with with that speculative matches.

So it seems that you can show as an "in common" match for someone/A, even though A has said no to getting speculative matches. If A matches with someone else/B, with A matching at a closer in level and therefore showing in B's matches.

Comment

Working...
                      X