Y-dna37 versus Y-dna67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-dna37 versus Y-dna67

As I wait for my first Y-DNA test results of 37 markers (in the 13th week now since batching), I'm trying to figure out my next step. I am considering an upgrade to 67 markers. But when I go the Learning Center: Beginner's Guide: Paternal Linage Tests: and the look at the chart that shows "Probability that your common ancestor lived no longer than this number of generations", they seem to be virtually the same for the 37 and 67 marker tests. Can anyone explain the advantage of increasing to 67? Am I missing something here? Thanks
    Last edited by kchromy; 13 March 2015, 09:27 AM.

Originally posted by kchromy View Post
    As I wait for my first Y-DNA test results of 37 markers (in the 13th week now since batching), I'm trying to figure out my next step. I am considering an upgrade to 67 markers. But when I go the Learning Center: Beginner's Guide: Paternal Linage Tests: and the look at the chart that shows "Probability that your common ancestor lived no longer than this number of generations", they seem to be virtually the same for the 37 and 67 marker tests. Can anyone explain the advantage of increasing to 67? Am I missing something here? Thanks
    Basically having more markers tested in common with another person allows you to compare more data and have a better idea idea of how closely related you are. Additionally some STRs are significant in their own right, depending on your ancestry.

Comment

The TiP report for Genetic Distance is based off of averages. There is no way to know if you are within the average or outside that average and therefore the TiP report is almost useless. STR markers mutate randomly.

The 67 marker test can determine if you continue to match a person closely but it won't guarantee that it is within a certain time period. If you no longer match others that you did at 37 markers then the majority of the time is because the common ancestor is from more than 500 or maybe even several thousand years ago.

The BigY test will be able to give you a more accurate estimation once they have enough participants because SNPs are extremely unlikely to mutate. It's likely that the current the price is cost prohibitive and the test too new for there to be enough participants for you to be compared to and for it to be useful for you right now. It all depends on how many participants there are at and below your terminal SNP.

Comment

Working...
      X