Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I be sure that we have the same great-grandfather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be sure that we have the same great-grandfather?

Hello,

I have a Family Finder Match, where the Relationship Range are: 2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin. Shared cM: 76.44. Shared Segments: 17 His name is OE.

My great-grandfather emigrated to the US in 1886. OE's great-grandfather emigrated to the United States around 1886. OE's great-grandfather and my great-grandfather has the same name, and they came from the same area.

OE and I do not have the same great-grandmother.

Is this match a sure proof that we have the same great-grandfather.

Can you help me?

Thank you

Tage Andersen
    Denmark

proof

If male descendents are available then Y-DNA tests would provide more proof. Have you searched for more records as DNA testing works best when complemented with documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by tage andersen View Post
      Hello,

I have a Family Finder Match, where the Relationship Range are: 2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin. Shared cM: 76.44. Shared Segments: 17 His name is OE.

My great-grandfather emigrated to the US in 1886. OE's great-grandfather emigrated to the United States around 1886. OE's great-grandfather and my great-grandfather has the same name, and they came from the same area.

OE and I do not have the same great-grandmother.

Is this match a sure proof that we have the same great-grandfather.

Can you help me?

Thank you

Tage Andersen
      Denmark
      Did they both settle in the same area of the US? Do they have the same birth and death date?

Comment

Originally posted by stanjohn View Post
        If male descendents are available then Y-DNA tests would provide more proof. Have you searched for more records as DNA testing works best when complemented with documentation.
        Thanks for your interest.

I know everything about my great-grandfather in Denmark and in the US, but on OE's great-grandfather, I know the name, which is exactly the same as my great-grandfather's name. They both traveled to the United States in 1886, and they traveled from the same parish in Denmark. But I have no definite proof that it is the same person.

Thank you.

Tage

Comment

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
          Did they both settle in the same area of the US? Do they have the same birth and death date?

I know everything about my great-grandfather in Denmark and in the US, but on OE's great-grandfather, I know the name, which is exactly the same as my great-grandfather's name. I know they both traveled to the United States in 1886, and they traveled from the same parish in Denmark. But I have no definite proof that it is the same person.

I have only found 2 people with my great-grandfather's name in this parish, and if the other man with the same name, was to be the father of my grandfather and the OE's grandfather, he would be 12 years old when he became father. Therefore, it can not be him.

I think it is the same person - also because of the DNA test - but the question is whether I can be sure of it.

Thank you

Tage

Comment

I know everything about my great-grandfather in Denmark and in the US, but on OE's great-grandfather, I know the name, which is exactly the same as my great-grandfather's name. I know they both traveled to the United States in 1886, and they traveled from the same parish in Denmark. But I have no definite proof that it is the same person.

I have only found 2 people with my great-grandfather's name in this parish, and if the other man with the same name, was to be the father of my grandfather and the OE's grandfather, he would be 12 years old when he became father. Therefore, it can not be him.

I think it is the same person - also because of the DNA test - but the question is whether I can be sure of it.

Thank you

Tage
            What I've bolded is really the key question. Can you be sure of it?

It certainly seems to be a strong case based on the matching paper trail information. However, the supporting DNA information doesn't give you certainty.

The match is a Family Finder match, not a yDNA match. Therefore, the common ancestor for you and the match can be in any line in either of your trees.

The estimated relationship is 2nd-4th cousin. Let's assume that you and the match are 3rd cousins. That would mean that you share a common set of gg-grandparents. You have 8 sets of gg-grandparent couples and the common set for you and the match could be any one of those 8 sets. Even if the relationship is 2nd cousin, you're still dealing with 4 different sets of great-grandparent couples.

As was suggested in a previous post, it would help being certain if you were to test the yDNA of a paternal line descendant of your great-grandfather (you, if he was the paternal grandfather of your father) and a paternal line descendant of the great-grandfather of your match. That would narrow down a close yDNA match between the two to that specific ancestor. That, together with the Family Finder match, would go a long way to making this common ancestor at least close to being certain.

Comment

Many, many thanks for the reply.

It is obvious that you know a lot about what you are writing about. And I have become much wiser of your answer. I know very little about DNA tests. Thank you.

If my match (OE) and I have a common great-grandfather, it must just be my great-grandfather. I know all of my great-grandparents' descendants, and here comes my match (OE) only if we have the common great-grandfather, I think. But if we share a common set of gg-great parents, I can not say the same, since I do not know all the descendants of my gg-great parents.

Therefore I will now test yDNA and get my match (OE) to do the same. We are both in straight line from the paternal great-grandfather, I expect we have in common.

As I understand it, would it prove if we have the same great-grandfather.

Is it necessary to have a new test - or can the sample from the Family Finder test be used?

Thanks for the help.

Tage

Comment

Ftdna can generally use the same sample ...

Comment

As I understand it, would it prove if we have the same great-grandfather.

Thanks for the help.

Tage
                  NO! Y-DNA can indicate that you share a common paternal line ancestor. By how close of a match you have, you can make an estimate of the number of generation back.

Comment

Thank you, Mike and Jim

Good answers, I can use.
                    Thank yopu.

Tage

Comment

Working...
                    X