No announcement yet.

What Surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, for the love of God, learn to use punctuation. At least a period at the end of a sentence. I can forgive your lack of capitalization. I don't know of ANY type of LD that has anything to do with punctuation. No offense, but it is a pain to read your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Elistariel
      Also, for the love of God, learn to use punctuation. At least a period at the end of a sentence. I can forgive your lack of capitalization. I don't know of ANY type of LD that has anything to do with punctuation. No offense, but it is a pain to read your posts.

try mixed domance look almost all ld's as you put it have extreme problems with repetative actions. you ll get use to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobr
        There is no need to put every single surname of all your relatives going back in antiquity, that's ridiculous. The Spanish way of doing it (the Paternal surname followed by the mothers) is sufficient. You can then trace both of the fathers and mother's lines by looking at the Baptismal Records, then work your way back in generations. Pablo Ruiz y Picasso's mother should have both her maternal and paternal surnames, his grandmother the same, and so on. You are making it sound more difficult than it is. Although in Spain during the Reconquest period, if one had nobility on both the fathers and mother's sides, one would include all 4 grandparents surnames, so one might be known as Antonio Baca Valdes y Gutierrez Sanchez. His wife might be Maria Lopez Trujillo y Calderon Martin de Baca ('de Baca' signifying that she married into the Baca Family). The names alone would give you 4 lineages without having to hunt. You then work your way back via the baptismal records. The Spanish system makes genealogy easier.
        you are what you are. if some higher power needs to validate the spouses name then where does it stop . when its a bother? lol of course its rediculous the whole thing is

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
          you are what you are. if some higher power needs to validate the spouses name then where does it stop . when its a bother? lol of course its rediculous the whole thing is
          The point of the convo was the use of surnames passed down by the mother. I was pointing out how convenient it was to have the custom of having the mother's surname for genealogy purposes. I'm not sure what point you are making regarding a higher power and a validation??....However, having both the father and mother's surnames makes it easier to trace your lineages.
          Last edited by bobr; 28 February 2006, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Why not? So what if people in a family have different names? Are names really THAT important? Names don't bind people, at the end of the day a name is just a bunch of letters. Family is family. Newsflash, not all women take on their husband's surname. Some men even ... wait for it... take the wife's name. Sometimes they even hyphenate or create a new one.
            Names don't form connections. If a family breaks apart simply because they have different names, then they weren't a real family to begin with.

Also, punctuation and capitalization are your friends. I had to read over your post several times to understand what you were attempting to say. Judging by your avatar you should be old enough to know that.

what did you name your kids?
            whats their middle names did you give them all your maiden name?

wanna have the names do it that way but run the risk of your kid hating you for it

Comment

Originally posted by bobr
              The point of the convo was the use of surnames passed down by the mother. I was pointing out how convenient it was to have the custom of having the mother's surname for genealogy purposes. I'm not sure what point you are making regarding a higher power and a validation??....However, having both the father and mother's surnames makes it easier to trace your lineages.
              how does it help if each mom has a differnt name and doesnt have the grandmoms name? the whole thing is what surname to test for . you dont test for you moms dads line you test for your moms mom. the picasso deal doresnt have that name does it.

the higher power is this force that demands we dismantle our traditions it has the alas of pc. I do the genealogy of three cities in mass, i do it with state records and obits. try and figure out some of these obits. when married women who have been divorced 3 times use hyphens. its almost impossible to figure out.

Comment

Apart from MtDNA testing, traditional genealogy is helped by this naming system. If the maternal name is used along with the paternal name in each generation, the daughter DOES have the same surname as her mother.

For example:
                1st generation....Maria Trujillo y Calderon marries Pablo Valdez y Gomez
                2nd generation....Rosa Valdez y Trujillo marries Jose Lopez y Baca
                3rd generation....Carmen Lopez y Valdez marries Antonio Serna y Sanchez

You can see that Maria shares 'Trujillo' with her daughter Rosa, Rosa shares 'Valdez' with her daughter Carmen, and Carmen will share 'Lopez' with her daughter....

The paternal surname always comes first, the maternal surname comes second. If this is used in every generation, it connects all generations together as you go up in your tree, regardless of gender. In the 4 surname system the order goes like this....paternal grandfather surname first, paternal grandmother surname second, maternal grandfather surname third, maternal grandmother surname last. This system (If followed exactly and by order) makes it easier to trace lineages. So in the case where there are multiple surnames, the order in which they are placed after the first name tells you from which gender ancestral line that surname comes from. This is a Spanish system so I can see how it would not work for you, but imagine if all europeans did it this way....it sure would make it easier for us 21st century genealogists.
                Last edited by breakwater70; 28 February 2006, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
                  what did you name your kids?
                  whats their middle names did you give them all your maiden name?

wanna have the names do it that way but run the risk of your kid hating you for it
                  I do not have any children. I'm not married. If I ever do I intend to either just keep my own name or add his surname. So I'd be First-name Middle-name Maiden-name His-last name. It IS possible to have two middle names. My kids will have my surname as a second middle name. I personally won't be giving daughters my surname. I might give my daughters (should I have any) my surname. If the person I marry insists they have his,then they'll have his. I don't really have a connection to my surname. It's a name obtained via adoption. (My father's father was adopted).

I am intrigued about your LD. Can you name it? I know it isn't dyslexia, but my mind is blanking out right now and I can't think of any others. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I really am curious about it.

Comment

I am intrigued about your LD. Can you name it? I know it isn't dyslexia, but my mind is blanking out right now and I can't think of any others. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I really am curious about it.

i did mixed domance i dont concider it a disabilty since it allows greater creative logic maybe you know it as au contraire

what you dont know is anything about disabities in general. most have as a key organization.,they have problems accessing info repeatively. each time you use a files in your brain its the same place when your done .disabilties dont do that its like a filing cabinet with files with no tabs so each time it needs to be used you need to find it again. so i need to look at the keys . this can cause mispellings. i am better at that then when i started in 1994. maybe people have told you their brains are five steps ahead of thier hands mine are so i used to watching the keys and typing hit send before i looked at the screen.lol

mixed dominace doesnt have a dominant side of the brain whereas you are either logical or creative.i am both or neither. this presents a different thought on subjects. mary mary quit contrairy how do your flowers grow? with silverbells and couckle shells all in a row

usually we are not in agreement with the status quo as this thread showed and others.i am used to it lol obviously you arent .hopefully we can benefit from the exchange

Comment

Working...
                    X