What Surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Surname

Can anyone tell me what surname a woman uses for DNA tests?

I think her own would be a good choice!

Comment

Surname

Thanks...just seemed confusing since my father's line will not enter the picture at all.

Comment

Even if you haven't inherited your father's y-chromosome, you have inherited other, unspecified genes from him. Whereever there is a y-chromosome, there are also other chromosomes. What is special about the y-chromosome is just that it can be unequivocally assigned to one single historical person, which makes it possible to track the genetic line with other genealogical tools. Your father's y-chromosome is thus the still visible trace of one specific individual living say 20.000 years ago. Of course this individual had a full set of chromosomes, half of which was passed on to his offspring.

If you get your father's Y-chromosome and mtDNA tested, the geographical inferences about his ancestors are equally valid for you, as they are also your ancestors. Equally, your mother's brother carries a genetic marker which can help to trace her own heritage. If you get the chance, you should try to find a direct-line male descendant for every surname on your pedigree.

If you want to tie the results of your own mtDNA test to historical persons, you will need to do a lot of paper work to trace your maternal line back in time, as the surname a woman died with usually isn't the one she was born with. You will probably not be able to get as far back as on the male side. Don't be sad, most of us have got that problem

Comment

On a somewhat related note, I do wish mothers would pass thier names on to their daughters and fathers to their sons. It would make things so much easier.
          Maybe my future daughters can be Freemans. That's the furthest my maternal-line's surnames go. Not accurate (it's still the father's name), but it's the best I've got.
          I swear, if I could trace my direct-maternal line to the time surnames began I'd change my name.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindygail
            Can anyone tell me what surname a woman uses for DNA tests?

you dont you can go to the project page and enter names or you can look for a project where you know the people where
            the keys to MTDNA are LOCATION TIME AND LOCATON

I have projects for Chelsea,Ma.[ covering Winthrop and Revere Ma.] County Longford Project [which covers Cavan and the area around there]-Frosinone Italy Project-Parramatta-Sydney Project [and surrounding area]- Hannibal MO-QuincyIL Project [surrounding area]-Brighton-NewtonMA Project [ included Brookline ,Alston,Watertown MA,]

this is how you do mtdna all that and paperwork I am finding very simulair lines in these project but its early and the more the better

If you cant find a project then maybe you should start one I can help

Comment

Originally posted by Elistariel
              On a somewhat related note, I do wish mothers would pass thier names on to their daughters and fathers to their sons. It would make things so much easier.
              Maybe my future daughters can be Freemans. That's the furthest my maternal-line's surnames go. Not accurate (it's still the father's name), but it's the best I've got.
              I swear, if I could trace my direct-maternal line to the time surnames began I'd change my name.

would it now how long are the names going to be and dads dont have any conections to daughters lol
              maybe we should do away with marriages and just do it in fields like animals do and the dads walk away.somehow i dont think that works

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
                would it now how long are the names going to be and dads dont have any conections to daughters lol
                maybe we should do away with marriages and just do it in fields like animals do and the dads walk away.somehow i dont think that works
                Why not? So what if people in a family have different names? Are names really THAT important? Names don't bind people, at the end of the day a name is just a bunch of letters. Family is family. Newsflash, not all women take on their husband's surname. Some men even ... wait for it... take the wife's name. Sometimes they even hyphenate or create a new one.
                Names don't form connections. If a family breaks apart simply because they have different names, then they weren't a real family to begin with.

Also, punctuation and capitalization are your friends. I had to read over your post several times to understand what you were attempting to say. Judging by your avatar you should be old enough to know that.
                Last edited by Elistariel; 26 February 2006, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elistariel
                  Why not? So what if people in a family have different names? Are names really THAT important? Names don't bind people, at the end of the day a name is just a bunch of letters. Family is family. Newsflash, not all women take on their husband's surname. Some men even ... wait for it... take the wife's name. Sometimes they even hyphenate or create a new one.
                  Names don't form connections. If a family breaks apart simply because they have different names, then they weren't a real family to begin with.

Also, punctuation and capitalization are your friends. I had to read over your post several times to understand what you were attempting to say. Judging by your avatar you should be old enough to know that.

Thats an old story a learning disabiltiy

ok whats my name james charles we agree on that or should i enclude eleanor josephine
                  James Charles Denning-Dever-Malone-Cogan-Heslin-Carroll-McGuire-Mcelevey-Lavin-Farrell-Doherty-Gibbons-Mclaughlin-Williamson-

if one of my denning line marries two carrolls do i need to hyphen both carrolls boy the letterhead will be good.what if i join a law firm. Now my son adds martini mazzola pelligrini,plamettiete good thing two matinis married each other.

maybe i need to find less names

now i now you meant this because my sons name has to tie him to me and my wife and you wouldnt want to downgrade and dis my grandmoms would you
                  so my wifes name is
                  rita domineca peligrini-martini-pelligrini,plamettiete-mazzola-

it is our pleasure today to anounce the birth of
                  James Michael Peligrini-Martini-Pelligrini,Plamettiete-Mazzola-Cogan-Heslin-Carroll-McGuire-Mcelevey-Lavin-Farrell-Doherty-Gibbons-Mclaughlin-Williamson-Denning-Dever-Malone-
                  to rita domineca Peligrini-Martini-Pelligrini,Plamettiete-Mazzola- and her husband James Charles Denning-Dever-Malone-Cogan-Heslin-Carroll-McGuire-Mcelevey-Lavin-Farrell-Doherty-Gibbons-Mclaughlin-Williamson-

should i give the familes like sibling of or is that redundant IMAGINE OBITS
                  Last edited by Jim Denning; 27 February 2006, 01:01 AM.

Comment

JUST THINK HOW MANY TREES DIE FOR OBITS

Comment

No, you got it all wrong. ALL wrong.

Let's say (making up names here):
                      Jack Jones marries Louise Smith.
                      They have 4 kids. 2 boys and 2 girls.
                      James Jones, Billy Jones, Anna Smith and Susie Smith.
                      Now they grow up and only Billy and Anna get married and have kids. They keep the naming tradition.

Billy Jones marries Lydia Stuart.
                      They have a son and a daughter
                      Robbie Jones and Lucy Stuart

Anna Smith marries Frank Parker
                      They have 3 kids. 2 girls and a boy. They also keep the naming tradition.
                      Cynthia Smith, Laura Smith, and Daniel Parker.

Alternatively they could hyphenate.
                      Jack Jones and Louise Smith
                      James Smith-Jones, Billy Smith-Jones, Anna Smith-Jones and Susie Smith-Jones

Billy Smith-Jones and Lydia Stuart
                      Robbie Smith-Jones and Lucy Stuart

Anna Smith-Jones and Frank Parker
                      Cynthia Smith-Jones, Laura Smith-Jones, and Daniel Parker.

Now in the hyphenated example:
                      Robbie Smith-Jones marries Jane Fisher
                      Sarah Fisher and John (see below)
                      They could:
                      A.) drop one of the names and have
                      John Fisher-Jones or John Fisher-Smith
                      B.) keep the hyphenated name as it is
                      John Smith-Jones
                      C.) Robbie could choose to drop a name all together and not bother with a hypen.
                      John Jones

Comment

Thats an old story a learning disabiltiy

ok whats my name james charles we agree on that or should i enclude eleanor josephine
                        James Charles Denning-Dever-Malone-Cogan-Heslin-Carroll-McGuire-Mcelevey-Lavin-Farrell-Doherty-Gibbons-Mclaughlin-Williamson-

if one of my denning line marries two carrolls do i need to hyphen both carrolls boy the letterhead will be good.what if i join a law firm. Now my son adds martini mazzola pelligrini,plamettiete good thing two matinis married each other.

maybe i need to find less names

now i now you meant this because my sons name has to tie him to me and my wife and you wouldnt want to downgrade and dis my grandmoms would you
                        so my wifes name is
                        rita domineca peligrini-martini-pelligrini,plamettiete-mazzola-

it is our pleasure today to anounce the birth of
                        James Michael Peligrini-Martini-Pelligrini,Plamettiete-Mazzola-Cogan-Heslin-Carroll-McGuire-Mcelevey-Lavin-Farrell-Doherty-Gibbons-Mclaughlin-Williamson-Denning-Dever-Malone-
                        to rita domineca Peligrini-Martini-Pelligrini,Plamettiete-Mazzola- and her husband James Charles Denning-Dever-Malone-Cogan-Heslin-Carroll-McGuire-Mcelevey-Lavin-Farrell-Doherty-Gibbons-Mclaughlin-Williamson-

The Spanish have done this well and have included the father's and mother's surnames in their names, such as "Pablo Ruiz y Picasso"...."Ruiz" being his father's surname and 'Picasso' being his mother's surname (He took his mother's surname when signing his paintings). Genealogists who have Spanish ancestry know that this system has made it much, much easier to trace lineages.

Comment

look thats all too easy if your going to some isanity lets do it right insane
                          grand mothers need to be represented you see i ammore like my paternal grand mom than anyone else
                          Pablo Ruiz y Picasso"...." should be Pablo Ruiz y Picasso yw Martinez yz Garcia y1a Zapada"...." you just want something you can cocider managable

our system is fine we dont need some new improved pc stuff. thank you

Comment

look thats all too easy if your going to some isanity lets do it right insane
                            grand mothers need to be represented you see i ammore like my paternal grand mom than anyone else
                            Pablo Ruiz y Picasso"...." should be Pablo Ruiz y Picasso yw Martinez yz Garcia y1a Zapada"...." you just want something you can cocider managable

our system is fine we dont need some new improved pc stuff. thank you
                            There is no need to put every single surname of all your relatives going back in antiquity, that's ridiculous. The Spanish way of doing it (the Paternal surname followed by the mothers) is sufficient. You can then trace both of the fathers and mother's lines by looking at the Baptismal Records, then work your way back in generations. Pablo Ruiz y Picasso's mother should have both her maternal and paternal surnames, his grandmother the same, and so on. You are making it sound more difficult than it is. Although in Spain during the Reconquest period, if one had nobility on both the fathers and mother's sides, one would include all 4 grandparents surnames, so one might be known as Antonio Baca Valdes y Gutierrez Sanchez. His wife might be Maria Lopez Trujillo y Calderon Martin de Baca ('de Baca' signifying that she married into the Baca Family). The names alone would give you 4 lineages without having to hunt. You then work your way back via the baptismal records. The Spanish system makes genealogy easier.
                            Last edited by bobr; 27 February 2006, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Additionaly, the Spanish system allows females to keep their birth surnames without having to change it to their husband's surname. They either just keep their birthname or they add "de Sanchez" to their birthname for instance (if her husband's paternal surname is Sanchez). In other countries you are lucky if you even have the mother's birth surname on record. Believe me, I have Spanish ancestry and it was ALOT easier to trace these lines than it was with my other lines from other countries.
                              Last edited by breakwater70; 27 February 2006, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X