Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing for "Jewishness"

Hello everyone,

Im sure this has been answered a million times already, but if you could do it one more time for me I would appreciate it.

I would like to test to see if my maternal line is Jewish. I do have things that make me think some where back there we are.

I understand that there is nothing that can tell me 100% if I am or I am not, but it would be a good place to start... some thing to hunt for per~say.

I have ordered the mtdna test, do you feel this is the correct test for this questions concerning my DNA?

Any help on this subject would be most appreciated.

Thank you for any help,

Pamela

Originally posted by lzrdsgal
    Hello everyone,

Im sure this has been answered a million times already, but if you could do it one more time for me I would appreciate it.

I would like to test to see if my maternal line is Jewish. I do have things that make me think some where back there we are.

I understand that there is nothing that can tell me 100% if I am or I am not, but it would be a good place to start... some thing to hunt for per~say.

I have ordered the mtdna test, do you feel this is the correct test for this questions concerning my DNA?

Any help on this subject would be most appreciated.

Thank you for any help,

Pamela
    Follow this link: http://www.avotaynu.com/csi/csi-home.html
    On the top of the web page, click on "Jewish Ancestry and DNA".
    You'll find an interesting answer to your question.
    Then, you may have a look at Avotaynu's Home Page.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

The mtDNA test will determine your maternal haplogroup and your individual haplotype - basically, your inheritance from your mother's mother's mother's mother etc.

I don't think there is a single haplogroup associated with Jews but rather subclades of several haplogroups. If your results are within Haplogroup H, subclade tests are available through FTDNA.

There is a recent paper on this very topic available in the FTDNA Library - link off the FTDNA front page.

Tom

Comment

Working...
      X