Romani Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romani Question

Well, I have a mystery. My great-grandmother would not tell my grandmother who her father was and her birth certificate had been lost by the court. The family rumor was that her father was a french travelling salesman. This was an old Southern Family, and I am sure this was scandalous.

All branches of my tree have been here since the colonial days except my maternal grandfather's. They were Germans (Hessians) who came here to fight in the Revolutionary War. On paper I am German, Irish, Scotch, Welsh, English, Native American, Swiss, French, and Danish. My Origins on this site are pretty in line with that--except for my smidgen of Native American--which does not show up at all. Accoording to it, I am 100% European. I am still waiting for my mtDNA results (batch 601). However, I was surprised to see the various Admix results--especially the amount of Baltic, Med, Asian, etc. I am crazy to think that perhaps Mr Traveling Salesman was perhaps a Gypsy?

Eurogenes K13
    North_Atlantic 49.16%
    Baltic 18.86%
    West_Med 17.12%
    West_Asian 4.85%
    East_Med 6.23%
    Red_Sea 0.53%
    South_Asian 1.40%
    East_Asian 0.69%
    Siberian -
    Amerindian 0.31%
    Oceanian 0.52%
    Northeast_African -
    Sub-Saharan 0.33%

ORACLE
    Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
    1 Southeast_English 5.17
    2 Southwest_English 5.24
    3 South_Dutch 5.51
    4 West_German 7.05
    5 French 7.48
    6 Orcadian 7.49
    7 West_Scottish 7.95
    8 Irish 8.13
    9 North_Dutch 9.23
    10 Danish 9.52
    11 North_German 10.25
    12 Norwegian 11.71
    13 Spanish_Cataluna 13.45
    14 Swedish 13.68
    15 Austrian 14.72
    16 Spanish_Castilla_Y_Leon 14.76
    17 Southwest_French 14.88
    18 Spanish_Cantabria 15.08
    19 Spanish_Galicia 15.34
    20 Portuguese 15.59
    Last edited by IslaMel; 4 February 2015, 10:08 PM.

FF Match

I have a FF Match with 65.89 shared cM. In her surnames some match mine, with "Romanichal" as the location. She does not have her tree loaded. It could be that my great grandmother (a Smith) may have been of Romanichal descent, since I don't know anything about her father other than his last name and first initials.
    Last edited by IslaMel; 5 February 2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Try to get in touch with your match, especially if the Longest Block you are sharing with her is 20 cM or more.

W.

P.S.
      Analysis of DNA alone is not enough, since there were intermarriages with the outside society.

Comment

Well, that is one problem I have with all this. I have contacted several people and they don't bother to answer. I understand that some people get their results for purposes other than just genealogy, but still...

HarappaWorld
        Population
        S-Indian 0.76%
        Baloch 9.08%
        Caucasian 8.84%
        NE-Euro 46.24%
        SE-Asian 0.08%
        Siberian -
        NE-Asian -
        Papuan 0.14%
        American 0.08%
        Beringian -
        Mediterranean 33.33%
        SW-Asian 1.22%
        San 0.06%
        E-African -
        Pygmy -
        W-African 0.14%
        Last edited by IslaMel; 7 February 2015, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IslaMel View Post
          I have a FF Match with 65.89 shared cM. In her surnames some match mine, with "Romanichal" as the location. She does not have her tree loaded. It could be that my great grandmother (a Smith) may have been of Romanichal descent, since I don't know anything about her father other than his last name and first initials.
          IslaMe1

Romanichal in the surname list clearly indicates ethnicity, and only a few select Romanichal DNA participants have added that hint in their surname profiles, so I most likely know who it is you are a match with.

Smith is a well known British Romanichal family surname and could very well be a major clue for you. Three Romanichal men of the Smith surname have been Y DNA tested, all 3 are in Y Haplogroup H1a - M82 which is South Asian in origin and the Romany people are South Asian in origin no doubts.

You mention most of your family tree can be traced back to the Colonial era, and it is a little unknown fact that some of the colonials were in fact Romany Gypsies, specifically Romanichal's of England and Scotland, most of whom were forcefully transported as convicts to the American Colonies, and I am one of those Colonial American Romanichal descendants, I too am in Y Haplogroup H1a - M82 just like the Smith paternal lineage.

If Smith is your Romanichal blood tie, it is more likely a kinship to the 1850's - 1900's Romanichal migration to the USA, and less likely to be a connection to the Colonial era though I wouldn't rule out the colonial connection.

Honestly I do not care what the admixture report has to tell you, what is more important in my personal opinion is having that autosomal match(s) to Romanichal DNA participants.

If you like, you can send me a private message telling me who it is you are an autosomal match with and who you are, and I presume that participant is likely a participant in the Romany DNA project which I am the Admin of that project, and I can then look at that partipants FF matches and find you and be able to compare you to that participant and other Romanichal participants.

There has not been a Colonial Smith identified in Y Haplogroup H1a as of yet, but the H1a Smith's certainly came to the USA during the 1850's-1900's migration to the USA, so chances are greater if your Smith's are the Romanichal connection in your tree, they most likely arrived during the 1850's-1900's migration and less likely from the Colonial era.

I have been tracing the British Romanichal Gypsy migration to the USA during the 1850's-1900's migration through the census records and vital records, and that data has been placed on my web site.
          http://home.comcast.net/~lockeroots/...usRecords.html

If you find your Smith's listed on this web page, then you will know for certain your Smith's are the Romanichal connection in your tree. But where you have one blood tie, you are likely to have many more that you maybe unaware of as all Romanichal's are related to one another, directly and indirectly over the past 500 plus years.

The web page is not a complete list of all Romanichal's to the USA, but on the chance you find your Smith's listed, then you will have a great starting point in your family tree research.

Comment

Working...
          X