How often are matches updated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often are matches updated?

I have an autosomal test from November and no new matches have been added since 11/20/14.

I have other relatives that took tests in December and they should be high degree matches but they are not coming up even their results are in. Their results came out in early January. They updated my matches several times in November right after I got the results and there has not been anything new in ages.

Doesn't FTDNA match you to the database as it is growing every so often? And how often!?

Originally posted by Howtree View Post
    I have an autosomal test from November and no new matches have been added since 11/20/14.

I have other relatives that took tests in December and they should be high degree matches but they are not coming up even their results are in. Their results came out in early January. They updated my matches several times in November right after I got the results and there has not been anything new in ages.

Doesn't FTDNA match you to the database as it is growing every so often? And how often!?
    It appears to be updated Monday to Friday. A sample from four FF testers, the cutoff 12/22/2014 (Monday before Christmas), the dates for new matches:

01/19/2015
    01/06/2015
    01/02/2015
    12/30/2014
    12/22/2014

01/20/2015
    01/16/2015
    01/02/2015
    12/23/2014

01/19/2015
    01/16/2015
    01/16/2015
    01/16/2015
    01/07/2015
    01/06/2015
    12/30/2014

01/13/2015
    01/09/2015
    01/06/2015
    01/02/2015

W.

Comment

I'm getting new matches every couple of days. Just one or two, on all my kits.

Does the kit show as a match from the other ones who should be matching it? Could it have accidentally been set to private, or to only show very close matches?

In the personal profile section there is a tab called 'Account Settings'. The very bottom section is called 'Family Finder Matches & Email Notifications'. If you turn off notifications for the different match categories, it also stops showing them in the account. It might be worth checking here. Someone in a different forum accidentally did this recently and thought they had 'lost' a lot of matches. When she turned it on again, it takes about ten minutes to take effect.

If none of this is the issue, then I guess it's time to put in a ticket and check, unless someone with more experience has other ideas?
      Last edited by larzus; 20 January 2015, 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks for the good tips. I did just adjust the privacy settings to see if that was getting in the way. I am in the advanced search fields and it scanning data but I cannot tell if it scanning their entire database or only those matches they have linked to my FF results.

Comment

Howtree - Do you mind saying how many matches you have? I wonder because some people have more (like some friends of mine with Colonial US background) they have 500+ matches, and new ones often Then there are people like me with 150 or so, and dry spells that last a month or so every now and then.

Comment

Since the beginning of January, I've had 43 new matches, but my folks have been here for a long, long time. As farmers, generally, they've tended towards very large families. It seems that if your ancestors are more recent the few number of distant cousins there would be who would be availing themselves of genetic testing.

Comment

My dad has 937 matches. But all of his lines, with the single exception of one set of great-grandparents, have been in America anywhere from 200-350+ years. Like someone above said, my dad's family were farmers with large families, and some of his ancestral lines were also Quakers.

My mom, on the other hand, has only 491 matches. Her ancestors -- with the exception of one set of great-grandparents -- all came to America between ca 1890 and 1903.

I'm in between the two of them, with 659 matches. I haven't tested my brother yet to see how many he might have.

But I know that my dad's had four pages of matches added since 30 Dec, because that's when his results were originally posted.

Comment

My mother has 592 matches, my father has 456, I have 454, my son has 383. Most of our matches are with persons in the United States with lots of early Virginia and North Carolina ancestors - I'm guessing this is what people call 'Colonial US?'.

We are in Australia and have no ancestors from the United States so all those matches must be from our ancestors' siblings who emigrated there. Unfortunately most US descendants don't have their trees back to the person of emigration so it is hard to find the connection. The few occasions where we have found it are a very satisfying experience since I have details of their baptism from the English records but no record of their death, while the US descendant has the other half.

Comment

Working...
                X