Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA autosomal-Ancestry-autosomal

I need clarification.
    My Ancestry results have returned. They show a 99+% Eastern European ethnicity with the possible less the 1% admixture being a fluke.
    I also ordered FTDNA Family Finder so that I could compare the two results.
    Now I am discovering that I could have transfered my AncestryDNA results to FTDNA.
    I don't quite understand this.
    1.) My assumption was that two different algorithms were used in the tests?
    2.) Is it because I have ordered the FTDNA Family Finder test that my AncestryDNA is not transferable?
    Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by singingfalls View Post
    1.) My assumption was that two different algorithms were used in the tests?
    2.) Is it because I have ordered the FTDNA Family Finder test that my AncestryDNA is not transferable?
    Any help is appreciated.
    1. The testing chip used by both companies is basically the same. So, a test at either company should theoretically yield the same results. The algorithm is separate from the testing. Each company applies its proprietary algorithm to the test results and generates its own match list and admixture percentages. That's why there's some variation in the results among the three testing companies.

2. Yes, once you've ordered Family Finder directly from FTDNA, they disable the ability to upload results from another company into your account. The thinking is why would you need to upload raw data from another company when FTDNA already has raw data from their testing of your DNA. Makes sense to me.

Comment

MMaddi,
      Thank you for your prompt and reasoned response.
      Had I known the same chip was used I suppose an upload and run through FTDNA would have been a better choice from an economic stand point. 20-20 is hindsight they say.

Comment

singingfalls it would be interesting to see what difference in a medical report by Promethease, with Ancestry vs FTDNA data. FTDNA are reputed to have removed some of the medical snp's from the FF data.

Comment

Originally posted by grahcom View Post
          singingfalls it would be interesting to see what difference in a medical report by Promethease, with Ancestry vs FTDNA data. FTDNA are reputed to have removed some of the medical snp's from the FF data.
          Have they given a reason for that besides the obvious? My question would be, "how does that influence the ethnicity algorithm?"

Comment

Is it still true that the results should be the same for a current AncestryDNA test transfer as opposed to taking the FTDNA Family Finder test?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeandrew View Post
              Is it still true that the results should be the same for a current AncestryDNA test transfer as opposed to taking the FTDNA Family Finder test?
              NO!

The new AncestryDNA kit introduced around May 2016 uses significantly fewer SNP's for genealogical purposes, plus has some that are different. While you may find a close match OK, distant matching is significantly degraded.

Jack Wyatt
              Last edited by georgian1950; 3 July 2017, 01:45 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                NO!

The new AncestryDNA kit introduced around May 2016 uses significantly fewer SNP's for genealogical purposes, plus has some that are different. While you may find a close match OK, distant matching is significantly degraded.

Jack Wyatt

It is for this reason that I have now ordered a new FTDNA kit despite having transferred my 23andMe kit here--I want better matches.

Should I expect any differences in the ethnicity estimates from a 23andMe (V4) chip autosomal transfer and a direct test?
                Last edited by Michelstaedter; 3 July 2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelstaedter View Post
                  It is for this reason that I have now ordered a new FTDNA kit despite having transferred my 23andMe kit here--I want better matches.

Should I expect any differences in the ethnicity estimates from a 23andMe (V4) chip autosomal transfer and a direct test?
                  Thank you for ordering a new FF kit.

I am the wrong person to talk with about ethnicity estimates because I believe (and am confident) that all of them are missing something major.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

You won't get better matches unless you are meaning you want to receive the smaller more distant matches. The larger to medium sized matches will remain the same.

Comment

How do you go about ordering a FF test after already uploading the third party transfer? I took the Y37 test, so FTDNA already has my sample.

Comment

Did you figure this out already? And/or
                        If you click "Upgrade" at the top of the Screen when signed in to Kit you transferred and did the Y-DNA for -- does it show FamilyFinder as a possibility?

If neither, my suggestion would be to call - let them know the current Kit number, and the info you gave us, and ask them.

Comment

Working...
                        X