mtdna match-help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtdna match-help needed

I have just received a note from a mtdna match (neither of us have refined).
    She looked at my attached gedcom and found a common ancestor.
    Problem is...for me anyway...the match is not on my far right maternal line.
    Our common ancestor is on my maternal grandfather side (and off a female on that side to boot).
    So...I assume that means that we are also related another way?
    Cece
    I am totally new to dna/mtdna genealogy so please bear with me if I am incorrect with any of my assumptions.!

Originally posted by ed4all
    I have just received a note from a mtdna match (neither of us have refined).
    She looked at my attached gedcom and found a common ancestor.
    Problem is...for me anyway...the match is not on my far right maternal line.
    Our common ancestor is on my maternal grandfather side (and off a female on that side to boot).
    So...I assume that means that we are also related another way?
    Cece
    I am totally new to dna/mtdna genealogy so please bear with me if I am incorrect with any of my assumptions.!

mtdna is like buying a house
    location location location

did you r maternal and paternal line live in the same place. maybe a small town somewhere on earth well mtdna is from sisters who have kids who have sisters who have kids and sisters.
    its not inconcieveable that your dads line 5 generations ago married someone who is an aunt or neice or sister to your maternal line

Comment

"location location location"

I totally understand the intermarriage part of this. My mother and her sister married my father and his brother....and believe it or not, my husband & are are also first cousins (although we never had children of our own to muck up the works!!!).
      Having said that...let me tell you what I know about this particular branch.
      My maternal grandmother's branch is Ireland, Ireland, Ireland.
      My match's maternal grandmother looks to be Virginia, Virgina, Virginia (at least)
      My maternal grandfather is also from Virginia (for many many generations on
      both his maternal and paternal sides)...and this side is where we have our genealogy match.
      But if mtdna is passed down only from my mother/grandmother/great grandmother etc...wouldn't we also have to have an earlier match maybe from Ireland or before that? I think you already answered this as a yes, but just want to make sure I understood you correctly.

Comment

Working...
      X