Help! Am I related to my egg donor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Am I related to my egg donor?

Hello All, I must be honest, all this DNA stuff is totally OVER MY HEAD! I really can't understand most of it, and have come here for help.

Due to medical reasons, I can no longer use my own eggs to have children. My husband and I have chosen an egg donor who is quite similar to me. We have the same hair/eye/skin color. Same eye shape. Similar nose. Her parents have exactly the same hair/eye color as my parents. We have the same blood type. Also, our ancestry is quite similar:

Donor: 25% Italian, 25% French Canadian, 50% English/Irish
    Me: 25% Sicilian, 12.5% Dutch, 62.5% Irish

Is it possible that there will be a genetic link between me and my child from the egg donor?

If so, how do I find out? What tests would I need to buy for myself and my child produced from the egg donor? I do not yet know if the child will be male or female.

Thank you!
    JosieB

Originally posted by JosieB
    Hello All, I must be honest, all this DNA stuff is totally OVER MY HEAD! I really can't understand most of it, and have come here for help.

Due to medical reasons, I can no longer use my own eggs to have children. My husband and I have chosen an egg donor who is quite similar to me. We have the same hair/eye/skin color. Same eye shape. Similar nose. Her parents have exactly the same hair/eye color as my parents. We have the same blood type. Also, our ancestry is quite similar:

Donor: 25% Italian, 25% French Canadian, 50% English/Irish
    Me: 25% Sicilian, 12.5% Dutch, 62.5% Irish

Is it possible that there will be a genetic link between me and my child from the egg donor?

If so, how do I find out? What tests would I need to buy for myself and my child produced from the egg donor? I do not yet know if the child will be male or female.

Thank you!
    JosieB
    the chances that there is a match with you and your child on all or most markers are very very slim. however it is possible that you and the egg donor are in the same MtDNA haplogroup. the chances on that are not far from possible. there are 7 major MtDNA haplogroups that are the most common in Europe. if you have the same haplogroup, there would be a connection between you, the child and egg donor by way of MtDNA (although tens of thousands or thousands of years ago). You would order the mTDNA test for the child (male or female) and one for yourself.
    Last edited by bobr; 5 February 2006, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks so much, BobR. That really helps!

Comment

Working...
      X