Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which test that can fulfill my quest

Hi,

I am new to this test. I currently take Family Finder test hoping to get a picture of my ancestry which according to family records from southeast asia. My quests are as follows:

1. I would like to know the male ancestry root history and planning to take Y-DNA test. I don't understand the difference between Y-37, Y-67, Y-111 test result that can answer this. I am looking for ancestry match since the wall was blocked in southeast asia region based on family records therefore I would like to know deeper. Would anyone help me which of these Y-DNA test that can break the wall. Also, can this test result provide me the regional picture of the male ancestry like family finder and will the result be different since the object that is tested is different?

2. I also would like to know maternal ancestry root history and possibly to find a match. Is this also possible if I take mtFullSequence? Also, will this test provide regional picture of maternal ancestry like family finder?

I have learn several learning material but seemed hard to find the answer since the explanation is not detail or may be I am lacking of understanding

Considering that there is a sale going on right now, I would recommend to you the Y-DNA 67 test and full mtDNA test.

Tests by themselves provide information that is mostly valuable when comparing to results of other people.

You have to consider that people advising you here would not know how many testers came from the area your ancestors originated from...

W.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
      Considering that there is a sale going on right now, I would recommend to you the Y-DNA 67 test and full mtDNA test.

Tests by themselves provide information that is mostly valuable when comparing to results of other people.

You have to consider that people advising you here would not know how many testers came from the area your ancestors originated from...

W.
      can the Y-DNA and mtDNA test detect historical DNA above 6 generations? if they can, how many more?

can FF provide historical ancestry deeper as well?

as far as my family records, paternally it's said that my father is the 14th generations of our clan. the brick wall is in my mother since the clan only consider male descendant to inherit the clan's name.

Comment

Originally posted by baxo View Post
        can the Y-DNA and mtDNA test detect historical DNA above 6 generations? if they can, how many more?

can FF provide historical ancestry deeper as well?

as far as my family records, paternally it's said that my father is the 14th generations of our clan. the brick wall is in my mother since the clan only consider male descendant to inherit the clan's name.
        I think it's difficult to give complete answers to your questions, since your ancestry is from Southeast Asia. That culture is probably not familiar to most posters here, who mainly come from a European background. There may be some cultural differences that would make our answers less accurate for your purposes.

The first thing to emphasize is that in order to find matches, there must be people who've tested and are in the database who are your matches. I suspect given your ancestry that there will be a small number of potential matches to your results, whether talking about Family Finder, yDNA or mtDNA results.

To answer your specific questions above, yes, the yDNA and mtDNA tests will find matches more than 6 generations back. This is because the y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA don't recombine like autosomal DNA does. With no recombination, the DNA doesn't undergo much change and results will reflect ancestry going back hundreds or thousands of years. The Family Finder test involves autosomal DNA, which does recombine, and can only reliably find matches going back several generations; yDNA and mtDNA will give you matches that go back several hundred to thousands of years.

There are two types of yDNA tests - one for STRs and the other for SNPs. The STR can establish that you and a match share a common paternal line (father, paternal grandfather, paternal grandfather's father, etc.) in the last several hundred years. The SNP test, because SNPs mutate far less often than STRs, can tell you that you and a match share the same SNPs (defining a haplogroup and subclade) and that your common ancestor lived sometime in the last few thousand years.

Matches that you get in your mtDNA test are generally not as useful for genealogical purposes as those from yDNA and Family Finder tests. There are far fewer locations in mtDNA to test than are in yDNA, so the amount of variation in mtDNA results is less and the mtDNA haplogroups/subclades are shared across a wider geographic area and different lineages than in yDNA matching. A full sequence mtDNA exact match may not share a common maternal line (mother, maternal grandmother, maternal grandmother's mother, etc.) ancestor with you for over 500 years.

In the case of Family Finder, you may get matches that go back more than a few generations because the shared segments have survived longer than usual, but it will be difficult to find the common ancestor. The Family Finder test includes myOrigins, which will give you an estimate by percentage of your ethnic/geographic admixture. This looks for SNPs and segments found in different ethnic groups and geographic areas and can go back as much as 2,000 years or more.

Comment

Because there are relatively few people with Southeast Asian ancestry here it probably is not worth getting more than a Y-37 test to start, as it is remote that you will get a match. If you do get a match at Y-37 then you can upgrade to a Y-67 test later, as your vial of DNA will still be held by FTDNA.

How many matches did you get on your Family Finder results?

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
            I think it's difficult to give complete answers to your questions, since your ancestry is from Southeast Asia. That culture is probably not familiar to most posters here, who mainly come from a European background. There may be some cultural differences that would make our answers less accurate for your purposes.

The first thing to emphasize is that in order to find matches, there must be people who've tested and are in the database who are your matches. I suspect given your ancestry that there will be a small number of potential matches to your results, whether talking about Family Finder, yDNA or mtDNA results.

To answer your specific questions above, yes, the yDNA and mtDNA tests will find matches more than 6 generations back. This is because the y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA don't recombine like autosomal DNA does. With no recombination, the DNA doesn't undergo much change and results will reflect ancestry going back hundreds or thousands of years. The Family Finder test involves autosomal DNA, which does recombine, and can only reliably find matches going back several generations; yDNA and mtDNA will give you matches that go back several hundred to thousands of years.

There are two types of yDNA tests - one for STRs and the other for SNPs. The STR can establish that you and a match share a common paternal line (father, paternal grandfather, paternal grandfather's father, etc.) in the last several hundred years. The SNP test, because SNPs mutate far less often than STRs, can tell you that you and a match share the same SNPs (defining a haplogroup and subclade) and that your common ancestor lived sometime in the last few thousand years.

Matches that you get in your mtDNA test are generally not as useful for genealogical purposes as those from yDNA and Family Finder tests. There are far fewer locations in mtDNA to test than are in yDNA, so the amount of variation in mtDNA results is less and the mtDNA haplogroups/subclades are shared across a wider geographic area and different lineages than in yDNA matching. A full sequence mtDNA exact match may not share a common maternal line (mother, maternal grandmother, maternal grandmother's mother, etc.) ancestor with you for over 500 years.

In the case of Family Finder, you may get matches that go back more than a few generations because the shared segments have survived longer than usual, but it will be difficult to find the common ancestor. The Family Finder test includes myOrigins, which will give you an estimate by percentage of your ethnic/geographic admixture. This looks for SNPs and segments found in different ethnic groups and geographic areas and can go back as much as 2,000 years or more.
            It's getting clearer now for me. I will find my haplogroup.

Originally posted by S9 H9 View Post
            Because there are relatively few people with Southeast Asian ancestry here it probably is not worth getting more than a Y-37 test to start, as it is remote that you will get a match. If you do get a match at Y-37 then you can upgrade to a Y-67 test later, as your vial of DNA will still be held by FTDNA.

How many matches did you get on your Family Finder results?
            The kit was just sent yesterday so the result will probably come out next year around january.

Comment

@baxo

You will learn, it just takes time, like with any studies.

Good luck

P.S.
              Originally posted by S9 H9 View Post
              Because there are relatively few people with Southeast Asian ancestry here it probably is not worth getting more than a Y-37 test to start, as it is remote that you will get a match. If you do get a match at Y-37 then you can upgrade to a Y-67 test later, as your vial of DNA will still be held by FTDNA. [----]
              I still consider Y-DNA 67 marker test to be the sweet spot, when there is a sale like right now. Not only it can be instantly seen whether matches go beyond 37 markers, but also there is no dreaded waiting time when the upgrade is being processed in the lab. Just look around in the forum and see how many people cannot wait any longer for the results...
              Last edited by dna; 26 November 2014, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I am southeast asian male. I took Y-111 STR test. I do understand I will not get any matches in 111 markers because there are not many east and southeast asian male in FTDNA. But I still do that because I want to know my markers. Beside I am willing to wait until more people know and get interest about genetic test.

I already knew my Y-SNPs because I took Geno 2.0 and transfered to FTDNA.

I also took Family Finder test and didn't get any matches, maybe because FTDNA treshold. When I upload the data to Gedmatch, I got matches with people who get test in ancestrydna and 23andme. They have southeast asian and southern chinese ancestry.
                Last edited by Parameswara; 26 November 2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                  You will learn, it just takes time, like with any studies.

Good luck

P.S. I still consider Y-DNA 67 marker test to be the sweet spot, when there is a sale like right now. Not only it can be instantly seen whether matches go beyond 37 markers, but also there is no dreaded waiting time when the upgrade is being processed in the lab. Just look around in the forum and see how many people cannot wait any longer for the results...
                  thanks, i will consider taking it since it's currently on sale

Originally posted by Parameswara View Post
                  I am southeast asian male. I took Y-111 STR test. I do understand I will not get any matches in 111 markers because there are not many east and southeast asian male in FTDNA. But I still do that because I want to know my markers. Beside I am willing to wait until more people know and get interest about genetic test.

I already knew my Y-SNPs because I took Geno 2.0 and transfered to FTDNA.

I also took Family Finder test and didn't get any matches, maybe because FTDNA treshold. When I upload the data to Gedmatch, I got matches with people who get test in ancestrydna and 23andme. They have southeast asian and southern chinese ancestry.
                  great information, i will try to do that once the FF result come up.

Comment

Just got Big Y result. No matches. I hope there are more Southeast asian male get test.

Comment

Originally posted by baxo View Post
                      The kit was just sent yesterday so the result will probably come out next year around january.
                      So, what is your MyOrigins result ? And how many matches do you get ?

Comment

Working...
                      X