Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades?

I recently got my results from the 12 marker test. I was shocked that I only had 4 exact matches. It didn't surprise me than none of them share my surname (Holt) because my grandfather was illegitimate. He was given the Holt name by his single mother. My goal in doing this test was to either prove or disprove a rumor about who my grandfather's father was. I have heard the same stories all of my life regarding his biological father. I had heard them to the point that I believed them. I had studied the ancestry of my reputed great-grandfather to the point of finding that he had a nephew that did the 67 marker test on familytreedna.com. As soon as I found out about the nephew that had tested I decided to test. When my results came back I was expecting an exact match, but I got fooled. Here is how the numbers shaped up:

14 24 14 11 12-14 12 12 12 13 13 30 for me
    13 24 14 11 11-14 12 12 11 13 13 29 for the nephew of my grandpa's rumored father

Could I still be of this line? Should I upgrade?

Both of you should take the Family Finder test.

Your Y-DNA test results gave very, very low probability of a recent common ancestor between both of you. But..., it is non-zero. And the Family Finder test might help you anyway.

Order the tests, and read about it in the Family Tree DNA Learning Center https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/

Further Y-DNA tests might only tell you that surely you two are not related in recent centuries, but would not indicate level of your relationship - even if there was one.

So, yes upgrade, but to Family Finder, and not to another Y-DNA test.

P.S. In general, at any point in time, you may want to order more Y-DNA tests, however for the purpose you had outlined, more Y-DNA testing would not be useful.
    Last edited by dna; 4 November 2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

If the nephew of your grandpa's rumored father has not ordered Family Finder I'd start with an upgrade to 67 markers. It would be helpful to have other male descendants of your grandpa's rumored father to test. You want to know if they match each other.

Family Finder looks at all of your lines, not just you paternal line. If you and the other person are 3rd cousins, FF might miss finding a match.

Comment

I have already taken the family finder test through ancestry.com and uploaded my results to familytreedna.com. The nephew of the man that was rumored to have been my grandfather's father is now dead and I don't know if he ever took the family finder test or not. How would I go about figuring that out?

Comment

Originally posted by Holtbanjoman View Post
          I have already taken the family finder test through ancestry.com and uploaded my results to familytreedna.com. The nephew of the man that was rumored to have been my grandfather's father is now dead and I don't know if he ever took the family finder test or not. How would I go about figuring that out?
          A very good question!

His family or friends or will executor or beneficiaries might know...

You know his name, but I gather his name did not show in your Family Finder when searching by name.

Of course if he did not take the Family Finder test (for example he had died before Family Finder was made available), then the question comes up of his DNA stored at FTDNA. Maybe he named a beneficiary?

Comment

You gave his 12 marker results above. How did you find out what they were?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
              You gave his 12 marker results above. How did you find out what they were?
              His marker results are listed on the web page for his surname project.

Comment

His marker results are listed on the web page for his surname project.
                Contact the project admin and ask him/her if that kit number has ordered Family Finder. If I was the admin I'd be happy to tell you.

If that fails you could contact FTDNA and ask them. They might tell you.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it all At this point I know it is highly unlikely that I'll ever know who my great-grandfather was and that makes me sad, but at least I did have 4 exact matches and that counts for something. I am a proud bearer of the surname Holt, but I would like to know what surname my Y dna came from. I may never know.

Comment

Working...
                  X