Uploaded gedcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploaded gedcom

I uploaded a gedcom, how come I can't view my tree? Or are they not connected? If they're not, what's the point of uploading a gedcom?

Will somebody please smack a moderator upside the head and get an answer to my question?
    There's nothing more frustrating to a newbie than being left in the dark.

Comment

I'm not a moderator...

Import your GEDCOM into a quality genealogical software on your PC/Mac. Correct if required, export.

Delete current GEDCOM from myFamilyTree. Import what you just exported.

If already using a quality genealogical software on your PC/Mac, get a trial of another one (or use a quality free one). GEDCOMs often require additional attention (many reasons, long story, etc.)

Comment

To see your own posted gedcom, you must

login and press the red family tree button,

if you do this and can't see your tree, you have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlm View Post
          Will somebody please smack a moderator upside the head and get an answer to my question?
          There's nothing more frustrating to a newbie than being left in the dark.
          This is a discussion forum, not a support forum. The moderators are here to make sure the forum runs smoothly. We may answer questions periodically, but we don't always see them, and that's not our primary role here.

For any questions or issues that need a guaranteed response, please open a support request with our Customer Support team:

http://www.familytreedna.com/contact.aspx

Elise

Comment

Tree upload churns forever after selecting Home Person

@dna

I have been having trouble uploading a tree for my mom that is a branch of our larger tree I uploaded successfully quite a while ago. I use Family Tree Maker. I successfully exported her branch to a GED and tried the upload. I selected her name as the home person. then . . . forever.

I liked your idea of importing the GED export file back into a file specific to 'my software,' i.e., FTM, then I exported it again. All that worked fine.

Again, when I try uploading then select her name as the home person I still get the "Your GEDCOM is being processed. This might take a few minutes. . ." but it never completes. There are only 600 people in the file.

I reviewed the GED file in a text editor and it looks ok but I don't have anything other than FTM to analyze it and FTM doesn't show any errors other than place names it wants to standardize.

Even after waiting a few days no Family Tree shows in that view, only her kit name.

Any help appreciated.
            Thanks, Gary

Comment

Yes, at 600 your database is like 0.1% of http://roglo.eu/roglo?lang=en

Contact FTDNA Customer Support...

However, you may also try one or both of the following ideas:*** a so called portable version

Comment

Family Tree finally showed up

@dna
                Apparently your suggested export/import... sequence cleaned the gedcom file enough that it showed up in ftdna a little over 24 hours after my last attempt to load it.

During this process I ran across a handy tool called GEDCOM Validator that displays all of the problems in the file (but doesn't fix them).

http://chronoplexsoftware.com/gedcomvalidator/

Thanks

Comment

@ghamilton

Originally posted by ghamilton View Post
                  @dna
                  Apparently your suggested export/import... sequence cleaned the gedcom file enough that it showed up in ftdna a little over 24 hours after my last attempt to load it.

During this process I ran across a handy tool called GEDCOM Validator that displays all of the problems in the file (but doesn't fix them).

http://chronoplexsoftware.com/gedcomvalidator/

Thanks
                  I am glad that everything works for you.

Did you see any difference in the GEDCOM Validator output before and after? I understand that you had used some program (e.g. Gramps) to import and then export a GEDCOM.

Comment

re: Family tree showed up

I just looked and unfortunately I didn't save the older versions of the gedcom file so I can't answer your questions. My normal approach to this is to do the work online in Ancestry, sync to my local copy of Family Tree Maker then export a gedcom file if necessary. That approach apparently makes for some messy gedcom files.

Here is a distinct set of the problems that program flagged. In most cases there were dozens of each one of these problems. I can fix most of the problems but some appear to be systematic issues created by FTMaker. Anyway, the problems in this list are still there but FTDNA took it so I'm good.

W13 Line: 3 Line value for tag 'VERS' exceeds the maximum length of 15 characters.?
                    W13 Line: 167 Line value for tag 'DEAT' exceeds the maximum length of 1 characters.?
                    W13 Line: 23635 Line value for tag 'MARR' exceeds the maximum length of 1 characters.?
                    W04 Line: 11 'UTF-8' is not a valid <CHARACTER_SET>.?
                    W04 Line: 660 'BET 1917 AND 1918' is not a valid <DATE_VALUE> for an attribute (RESI).?
                    W04 Line: 861 'U' is not a valid <SEX_VALUE>.?
                    W02 Line: 17 Tag 'NAME' is mandatory under tag 'SUBM'.?
                    W11 Line: 45 Line value for tag 'RESI' not expected.?
                    W14 Line: 109 Trailing spaces are not permitted in a CONC tag.?
                    W01 Line: 7010 The 'EMAIL' tag is not permitted in GEDCOM 5.5.?
                    W18 Line: 9981 Line value contains the horizontal tab character.?
                    W12 Line: 24643 Line value for tag 'CONC' does not meet the minimum length of 1 characters.?
                    W12 Line: 25288 Line value for tag 'ADDR' does not meet the minimum length of 1 characters.?
                    W12 Line: 25290 Line value for tag 'PHON' does not meet the minimum length of 1 characters.?

Comment

Working...
                    X