Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNP Test Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SNP Test Question

    Ok ... So I'm thinking about ordering an SNP test. However, before I do ... I was wondering, when I first got my initial results I didn't have a lot of matches (E3B), which was a bit disappointing.
    Will having an SNP test possibly give me more haplogroup and REO matches?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Rob
    Ok ... So I'm thinking about ordering an SNP test. However, before I do ... I was wondering, when I first got my initial results I didn't have a lot of matches (E3B), which was a bit disappointing.
    Will having an SNP test possibly give me more haplogroup and REO matches?
    Not necessarily, Rob, but knowing your haplogroup and subclade could point you to a more specific geographic region as the origin and/or migration routes of your ancestors narrowing down your search for matches.

    Have you entered and searched for matches in haplotype databases:

    www.ysearch.org,
    www.ybase.org,
    www.yhrd.org
    www.smgf.org ?

    Have you compared your haplotype results with those at the E3b Project?

    Victor

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Victor

      Have you compared your haplotype results with those at the E3b Project?

      Victor
      Victor,

      Is the haplotype data at the E3b project contained in the data that can be searched at FTDNA?

      Thanks,

      Rick

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rossi
        Victor,

        Is the haplotype data at the E3b project contained in the data that can be searched at FTDNA?

        Thanks,

        Rick
        Rick,

        If you mean at FTDNA's sponsored database Ysearch, only those records that have been added by each participant, otherwise no.

        Victor

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rossi
          Victor,

          Is the haplotype data at the E3b project contained in the data that can be searched at FTDNA?

          Thanks,

          Rick
          Rick,

          As you know, in every FTDNA customer's personal page there are three Y-DNA databases that your haplotype is compared or matched against.
          • Customer database - Only those haplotypes of participants who have signed a Release Form.
          • REO Database - FTDNA doesn't explicitily says it but I've always assumed that the REO database is the same as Ysearch, which by the way its data is not always error free, as it is input by the public and there are no accuracy checks.
          • Haplogroup Database - Y-DNA STR database of Dr. Hammer and FTDNA customers who have been tested by SNP.


          Victor

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Victor
            Rick,

            As you know, in every FTDNA customer's personal page there are three Y-DNA databases that your haplotype is compared or matched against.
            • Customer database - Only those haplotypes of participants who have signed a Release Form.
            • REO Database - FTDNA doesn't explicitily says it but I've always assumed that the REO database is the same as Ysearch, which by the way its data is not always error free, as it is input by the public and there are no accuracy checks.
            • Haplogroup Database - Y-DNA STR database of Dr. Hammer and FTDNA customers who have been tested by SNP.


            Victor
            Victor,

            I wasn't aware. Thanks.

            Rick

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rossi
              Victor,

              I wasn't aware. Thanks.

              Rick
              I just found out that the REO database is not the same as the Ysearch database

              I still think that there might be a data overlap to some extent.

              Comment


              • #8
                How can one access the REO database?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Irubak
                  How can one access the REO database?
                  The only thing you can access are your matches/near matches, if you have any, from your personal FTDNA page under the REO tab.

                  There is no other way that I know to access that database. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks!

                    So, it means I don't have any match at the REO database.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Irubak
                      Thanks!

                      So, it means I don't have any match at the REO database.
                      You're welcome!

                      Have you tried entering your data and searching in the databases listed in one of the first posts in this thread?

                      Your matches will eventually start to appear. Cheer up!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for cheering up!

                        Till now I haven't found anywhere any match closer than 8/12...

                        Keeping to dig...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Victor
                          Not necessarily, Rob, but knowing your haplogroup and subclade could point you to a more specific geographic region as the origin and/or migration routes of your ancestors narrowing down your search for matches.

                          Have you entered and searched for matches in haplotype databases:

                          www.ysearch.org,
                          www.ybase.org,
                          www.yhrd.org
                          www.smgf.org ?

                          Have you compared your haplotype results with those at the E3b Project?

                          Victor

                          Thanks for your help Victor

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X