Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could my tests be wrong?

Hello,

I got my autosomal DNA test results yesterday and found something that I wasn't expecting:

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...63741293_o.jpg

All my known relatives are Portuguese descent and I know one of them could also be African, because of the way my mom describe her appearance. I also know I have some native American genes. Everything showed on the test, and that wasn't very surprising.

It is nice to have a percentage breakdown, but the only problem with my result is that I am 7% Scandinavian. There have been a Scandinavian immigration in Brazil, but it is not mentioned in books or school. The only article I found was in English, and it says around 800,000 - 1M Brazilians are Scandinavian descent, and most of the Scandinavians went exactly to my region (northeastern Brazil), specifically to the state of CearĂ¡ (my state) and Rio Grande do Norte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Brazilian

I was expecting my tests to show some Dutch, but it didn't happen. I will order a test for my parents and siblings, to clear somethings out, but I wonder if this 7% Scandinavian could be something else. The tests show that I am more Scandinavian than Native American, and that was a bit surprising, and it's probably not right.

Here is my Ethnic Makeup:

77% European
    - 70% Southern Europe
    - 7% Scandinavia
    10% African
    - 9% West Africa
    - 1% East Central Africa
    6% New World
    - 6% Native American
    5% Middle Eastern
    - 4% North Africa
    - 1% Eastern Middle East
    2% East Asian
    - 2% Northeast Asia

And here are my gedmatch (eurogene k13) results:

North_Atlantic 28.16% (where exctly is that?)
    Baltic 9.22%
    West_Med 21.40%
    West_Asian 4.14%
    East_Med 10.63%
    Red_Sea 4.04%
    South_Asian 0.12%
    Siberian 0.43%
    Amerindian 9.25%
    Oceanian 0.54% (I doubt it)
    Northeast_African 2.55%
    Sub-Saharan 9.52%

Can anyone give me any additional information on what could have happened? It's not that we don't have Scandinavian phenotype (because we do), it's just that it's unknown to us.
    Last edited by junior; 23 October 2014, 02:19 AM.

I am speculating at this point, but the scandinavian admixture may have happened in Portugal or North Africa. The vikings really got around.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_expansion

Comment

You should take this result with a big grain of salt.

For example, my results were:
      40% British Isles
      39% Scandinavia
      19% Southern Europe
      1% Finland and Northern Siberia

I am native dutch, so I might expect mostly Western Europe.

Comment

Thank you so much guys, this is exactly what I needed!

Comment

I found many 4th-5th cousins in Finland on GedMatch. The Scandinavian results might actually be true.

Comment

Here's the answer I got from FamilyTreeDNA:

"Dear Edvaldo Moreira dos Santos Junior,
            Thank you for your email and I apologize for the delay in my reply. The Scandinavian reference population could indeed indicate Dutch ancestry, there is not a specific reference population that would show only Such ancestry, it would either be included in Scandinavian, Central Europe, or British Isles. Due to the migration through that area we see a mixture of ancestry, so my best guess would be this Scandinavian ancestry would be reflecting your Dutch ancestry.
            Regarding the Euroegenes interpretation I am not certain what North Atlantic may refer to, maybe Northern European? I am not certain if gedmatch has an explanation as to what the different reference populations are."

Comment

Working...
            X