Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I tested with another testing facility. Am I able to bring that raw data here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tested with another testing facility. Am I able to bring that raw data here?

Hi all,

I tested thru 23. I have just under 1000 best matches. My issue is the people who are my best matches are choosing not to respond to my invite to share genomes. It seems many of them pursue this for the health aspect more than genealogy.

Do I have the ability here to bring that raw data to this site and see if I have some matches?

I did take my raw data to GedMatch and are pursing matches there.

And while I am asking, does it make sense to test with another lab, either here or Ancestry?? Or is my raw data what it is regardless of the testing facility. I have been at this a while but some of this is beyond my science background.

Sue

It depends on when you got your results from 23andMe.

They switched their testing chip sometime last November. They went from the v3 chip to the v4 chip. The v4 chip tests significantly less SNPs than v3.

So, results from 23andMe's v3 chip are compatible with results from FTDNA's Family Finder. (They use the same chip.) However, because of the large difference in SNPs tested, v4 chip results from 23andMe can't be used for matching in the Family Finder database.

Basically, if you got your 23andMe results this year, they're from the v4 chip and you won't be able to upload your raw data to the Family Finder database. If you received your 23andMe results in November or before, your results are compatible and can be uploaded to FTDNA for $69. If you got your results in December, you'll have to check to see if the test was done with the v3 or v4 chip.

Comment

FYI, I tested over 2 years ago.

I didn't realize there might be a fee.

I am just trying to connect to other potential cousins.

Thanks for the info.

Sue

Comment

Sue,

You can upload your 23andMe data to GEDmatch for free. People who have tested with Ancestry.com and FTDNA can also upload their raw data to GEDmatch.

It isn't just 23andMe matches who don't reply. FTDNA matches and Ancestry matchs often fail to reply.

Comment

Hi Jim,

I probably wasn't clear on my OP. I did test with 23 and me. I then took my raw data and did upload it to GedMatch.

I am not having great success at either site. I figured everyone on GedMatch is there because they are looking for potential cousins, surprised so many don't have a contact email address. Why bother is what I wonder??

I was hoping to submit my data here for free, doesn't appear to be the case.

thanks for your input.
          Sue

Comment

Actually, many people go to Gedmatch for the various ethnicity calculator programs it runs. On Ancestry, the DNA forum is always talking about using the Gedmatch site for additional"ethnicity results".

Comment

Originally posted by SueDixey View Post
              figured everyone on GedMatch is there because they are looking for potential cousins, surprised so many don't have a contact email address. Why bother is what I wonder?? Sue
              I wonder the same thing.

Comment

'Takers and not reciprocators'.

Too many of these about IMHO

Especially on 23andMe!!!

Originally posted by SueDixey View Post

I am not having great success at either site. I figured everyone on GedMatch is there because they are looking for potential cousins, surprised so many don't have a contact email address. Why bother is what I wonder??

Comment

Working...
                X