"mtDNA Anonymous Search" page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "mtDNA Anonymous Search" page?

What does the "mtDNA Anonymous Search" page tell me. Why does it list one country with haplogroup H, another with haplogroup H*, another K1a, another K1a4a1, and the rest(majority) K. Why under comment do some say Ashkenazi and the rest(majority) say nothing. What does count represent? Why is England, Britain, and the United Kingdom listed as three separate countries?

A lot more than mine tells me..
    I get "V unknown origin 1"

Comment

I got D5b and not a match at all, I only find matches in anthropological studies.

Comment

I am also a K and have the same questions as to why they have included H's in my group. I can only assume that while we do not share the defining mutations for the haplogroup which appear to be predominantly 224, 311 & 519 (determined by HVR1) we share many of the same mutations in HVR2 with the H group. I believe Ashkenazi is european jewish ancestry. From what I have read there is quite a high percentage of jewish women who are haplogroup K. Check out the "K group" (look for the "join group" button), you can sign up for it from the "matches page" when you sign on. There are links to articles/studies in regard to K lineage.

Comment

Originally posted by TJHawk5789
          What does the "mtDNA Anonymous Search" page tell me. Why does it list one country with haplogroup H, another with haplogroup H*, another K1a, another K1a4a1, and the rest(majority) K. Why under comment do some say Ashkenazi and the rest(majority) say nothing. What does count represent? Why is England, Britain, and the United Kingdom listed as three separate countries?
          I have done a little research on these very interesting questions. First, remember than in mtDNA virtually any mutation can show up in any hapogroup. In the two cases of an H and an H* having low-resolution matches with us K's, they simply acquired the defining mutations for K somewhere along the way. But they don't have the key coding region mutation 9055 which really defines K. Since those are low-res matches, they have nothing to do with HVR2.

I suspect many of the entries in Anonymous Search came from Dr. Behar's earlier paper on Ashkenazi mtDNA; that's porbably the reason for the common comment "Ashkenazi."

Count is simply the number of entries from a particular country.

Whether England, Britain, or United Kingdom was listed probably depended on what the person being tested wrote.

The entries for K1a and K1a4a1 - and there are apparently only those two - appear to be subclades tests using Behar's new chart. Since FTDNA is not yet offering such a test, the entries may be from FTDNA personnel. If they were entries for the people tested by Behar for his new paper, there would be a lot more.

All very curious.

And, yes, K's should join our new project using your personal page Join button.

Bill Hurst

Comment

Working...
          X