Another newbie question here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie question here!

Wow - I'm so glad that Family Tree DNA has these beginner-friendly forums! The world of genetic genealogy is pretty overwhelming to the uninitiated, and I want to make sure that I'm using my time and resources wisely.

My primary focus as regards genetic testing is to find out "where I'm from." I'd like to focus on my father's side, and so I realize that I should get my yDNA tested.

My question pertains to how to go about making sure that I get the most accurate and detailed subclade information for my paternal haplogroup.

Would the y111 give me more accurate subclade information than the y37 or y67? I'm not looking to confirm genetic relationships with anyone in particular; I'm really just focused on finding my country(ies) of origin on my Dad's side, and I would like that info to be as specific as possible with current testing technology.

Would the y67 test be sufficient? Or should I go another route altogether?

Thank you for any help!

Y-DNA111 would not give you more origin information than 67 marker one. With the Y-DNA67 results in hand, if you want to know more, go for a Big Y.

When you have your Y-DNA67 results you are looking at Y-DNA - Ancestral Origins table that compares your results with countries declared by matching testers. The same results are visualized on a Matches Maps page. That may be not enough for you...

If you cannot test your mother or very close family of hers, your Family Finder results will give you both paternal and maternal heritage. But you can still go for Family Finder and decide using paper trail which side of the family a particular close match is and use it as a guideline in learning more about your father family.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermit Nine View Post
      Wow - I'm so glad that Family Tree DNA has these beginner-friendly forums! The world of genetic genealogy is pretty overwhelming to the uninitiated, and I want to make sure that I'm using my time and resources wisely.

My primary focus as regards genetic testing is to find out "where I'm from." I'd like to focus on my father's side, and so I realize that I should get my yDNA tested.

My question pertains to how to go about making sure that I get the most accurate and detailed subclade information for my paternal haplogroup.

Would the y111 give me more accurate subclade information than the y37 or y67? I'm not looking to confirm genetic relationships with anyone in particular; I'm really just focused on finding my country(ies) of origin on my Dad's side, and I would like that info to be as specific as possible with current testing technology.

Would the y67 test be sufficient? Or should I go another route altogether?

Thank you for any help!
      The more YSTRs that you match someone the closer the relationship. The Big-Y nor the 111 will not determine which country your ancestor originated in. The Big-Y is an SNP test. SNPs show the group that you belong to and YSTRs show how close you are to someone in the SNP group. If someone at ysearch who matches you at 111 markers is SNP tested then you should belong in the same SNP branch.

Comment

Does a larger number of markers result in a deeper (or more specific) subclade result?
        Would the y67 provide me with a more specific subclade result than a y37?
        Or should I get a y37 test and then have specific SNPs examined to determine the deepest possible subclade information?

Comment

Does a larger number of markers result in a deeper (or more specific) subclade result?
          Or should I get a y37 test and then have specific SNPs examined to determine the deepest possible subclade information?
          No, none of STR tests gives SNP values, even if you had tested 400 STRs. Some SNPs could be quite confidently predicted by comparing ones STRs to STR results of people who also tested their SNPs.

In my opinion, it is better to purchase Y-DNA67. I would only use Y-DNA37 if I were testing for a non-match.

Plan for Big Y, once your Y-DNA67 results are back. You cannot purchase the Big Y test until you had completed one of Y-DNA STR tests.

Comment

IMHO, Y-DNA37 is generally sufficient to determine your next step. If you have very close matches, that next step will be an upgrade to 67 markers; if you have no close matches, saving up for the Big Y makes more sense.

Comment

Current price for yDNA 67 is $268 USD
              Current price for yDNA 37 is $169 USD

Upgrade from yDNA 37 to YDNA 67 is $99 USD (equivalent to purchasing yDNA 67 outright)

I generally recommend testing to at least yDNA 67 for genealogy, but I agree with lgmayka and would recommend starting with yDNA 37 and seeing what type of matches you get.

Based on matches and distance (GD) you can get a picture if it will currently beneficial to upgrade and to what level by checking and seeing what level each of your matches have tested to (Level matches tested to will be shown by their name). If matches have not test beyond your level of testing, there is a high probability that you will not gain anything by upgrading at this point.

As other have mentioned yDNA 12 to yDNA 111 does not give any deeper subclade placement. Only subclade placement given is predicted based on your first 12 markers, unless they can not confidently predict then you are given a free backbone SNP test which again is only one that will give you a basic subclade placement not a deeper one.
              Last edited by prairielad; 30 September 2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

FTDNA allows a GD of seven for matches at 67 markers. If someone with the same surname matches you at 60/67 markers then you are probably related so they must be in the same subclade as you are. Even those who don't have the same surname as you and match at 60 out of 67 are most likely to be in the same subclade.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                  If someone with the same surname matches you at 60/67 markers then you are probably related so they must be in the same subclade as you are. Even those who don't have the same surname as you and match at 60 out of 67 are most likely to be in the same subclade.
                  There are people out there that match 60 out of 67 markers and are from very different subclades. I have seen it more than once and read about it happening to others also.

Comment

Working...
                  X