Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

I'm hoping someone can help me understand my test results. I have had myself, my deceased father and my paternal aunt tested. My father (Y) was tested first and his results reflected 100% european. My own results reflect 85-90% European, 10-13% Middle Eastern, Druze, Bedouin, Jewish, Palestine. I then had my paternal aunt tested thinking the Middle Eastern connection could be through my paternal grandmother. I was surprised to find my aunt's results were almost identical to my fathers, re, 100% European. I then surmised the Middle Eastern connection would have to come from my mother's lineage. I then tested myself through Ancestry DNA and my results were European and Iberian Peninsula. My maternal 1st cousin also tested with Ancestry DNA and the Iberian Peninsula did not show up. Is this normal? My paternal aunt is reflected as a match to my own markers but I am at a loss concerning the middle eastern ethnicity. Has anyone out there been faced with this type of situation? Much Thanks!

My opinion only....BUT....From what I've seen, The My Origins and other admixture results all rely on what other results/data they have in their database to compare with. They all give varying results, I've got Geno 1, Geno 2, My Origins, 23&Me tests ( and Dr.McDonald, and Gedmatch results) that all give differing results. I think many customers go with the results they think fits what they think 'fits' what they believe to be their ancestry. Maybe one day when the databases have many millions of test results (instead of a few thousand) to compare with results maybe taken to be more realistic. Until then have a look, but take them all "with a grain of salt".

Comment

When asking questions it is always very helpful to make it clear which test(s) each person has taken and/or results of which test(s) you are asking about.

Since you have a (y) after "father" I assume his test was a Y-DNA test. This looks at the paternal line only. If you are refering to mtDNA it looks at the maternal line only. So both of these tests are looking at only one line each.

Family Finder is looking at a combination of the person's lines and will report on a mix of origins.

All of this information is based on averages and the amount of data available from each area.

Comment

Originally posted by TammieP View Post
        I'm hoping someone can help me understand my test results. I have had myself, my deceased father and my paternal aunt tested. My father (Y) was tested first and his results reflected 100% european. My own results reflect 85-90% European, 10-13% Middle Eastern, Druze, Bedouin, Jewish, Palestine. I then had my paternal aunt tested thinking the Middle Eastern connection could be through my paternal grandmother. I was surprised to find my aunt's results were almost identical to my fathers, re, 100% European. I then surmised the Middle Eastern connection would have to come from my mother's lineage. I then tested myself through Ancestry DNA and my results were European and Iberian Peninsula. My maternal 1st cousin also tested with Ancestry DNA and the Iberian Peninsula did not show up. Is this normal? My paternal aunt is reflected as a match to my own markers but I am at a loss concerning the middle eastern ethnicity. Has anyone out there been faced with this type of situation? Much Thanks!
        We receive 50% from each parent but it isn't an exact 50% of their 100% percent due to recombination. Siblings on average only share 50% of autosomal DNA and cousins only share 12.5% of autosomal DNA. The share 12.5% could be only the European amount so your methodology is part of the problem.

The DNA testing companies assign a amounts based on what matches their source or reference populations. If you have amounts that don't exactly match those populations then the difference gets assigned to another population. Apart from that your own results of 10-13% Middle Eastern, Druze, Bedouin, Jewish, Palestine looks to be from Population Finder. That calculator would assign a lot of people a lot higher percentage of Middle Eastern than they actually had. What do you show for MyOrigins?

To be more specific about your case, all European populations have Mediterranean autosomal DNA but if the amount isn't exactly matching the source population then it gets assigned to another population. In your case Middle Eastern in Pop Finder or Iberian at AncestryDNA. You can see the amounts each European population has through the Eurogenes K13 spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2030372827 and the Dodecad Globe13 spreadsheet at
        http://dodecad.blogspot.com/2012/10/...alculator.html

You can use the Globe13 calculator through the DIY Dodecad 2.1 Wrapper at http://www.y-str.org/2013/07/diy-dod...1-wrapper.html

If you run all of raw DNA files through Globe13 you will see all of them have some Mediterranean. The same with Eurogenes K13.

You can use the Eurogenes calculators through www.Gedmatch.com

Eurogenes also has a K36 calculator at Gedmatch which includes Iberian as one of the components. If you upload the raw DNA files of all of your relatives to Gedmatch and run them through the K36 calculator you might see that your father, your paternal aunt, and your maternal 1st cousin all have Iberian in their results. I ran the results of a person that is 50% Irish and 50% German through K36 and there was a result of 19.33% Iberian.

Iberians, other southern Europeans, and North Europeans share ancestry through the Mesolithic and Neolithic migrations.

Comment

Working...
        X