Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perfect Match at Y37, 4 Markers off at Y67, No match at Y111

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Perfect Match at Y37, 4 Markers off at Y67, No match at Y111

    Can anyone associated with the testing company look at this? I can PM my kit # if needed.

    I have a match that is:

    A perfect match at Y37
    4 Markers off at Y67
    Not a match at Y111?

    Does that make sense to be a perfect match at Y-37 and then not a match at all at Y-111?

  • #2
    Originally posted by SparkyMc View Post
    Can anyone associated with the testing company look at this? I can PM my kit # if needed.

    I have a match that is:

    A perfect match at Y37
    4 Markers off at Y67
    Not a match at Y111?

    Does that make sense to be a perfect match at Y-37 and then not a match at all at Y-111?
    Yes

    Comment


    • #3
      Could you possibly explain why it makes sense?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SparkyMc View Post
        Could you possibly explain why it makes sense?

        1798 is right.

        Your match is exact at 37 markers - 37/37. No explanation needed.

        Your match is four markers off at 67. This means that he differs with you on four markers in the 38-67 markers.

        Your match fails to meet the matching criteria at 111 markers. In order to appear at 111 markers, a match can't mismatch you at more than 10 markers. So, this match mismatches you on at least 11 markers total or 7 markers in the 68-111 markers.

        There's no guarantee that a match will continue to meet the matching criteria at higher numbers of markers. The purpose of upgrading to more markers is to see if the match holds up based on the matching criteria and, if it holds up, does the match become closer or more distant.

        Comment


        • #5
          Is there there any possible interpretation of a possible relationship based on how many matches are off on each of the 3 tests?

          What does greater than 7 markers off on Y-111 mean? (aside form the literal answer that there are more then 7 markers that do not match). Can anything be predicted from that knowledge?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SparkyMc View Post
            Is there there any possible interpretation of a possible relationship based on how many matches are off on each of the 3 tests?

            What does greater than 7 markers off on Y-111 mean? (aside form the literal answer that there are more then 7 markers that do not match). Can anything be predicted from that knowledge?
            You probably belong in the same subgroups right down to a possible 1000 years, more or less.

            Comment


            • #7
              So, are you saying that due to the non-match at Y-111 level, the two men are not related within a genealogical timeframe even though they have a 37/37 marker match at Y-37 and a 63/67 match at Y-67?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SparkyMc View Post
                So, are you saying that due to the non-match at Y-111 level, the two men are not related within a genealogical timeframe even though they have a 37/37 marker match at Y-37 and a 63/67 match at Y-67?
                I think that is correct and I am not out to upset you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not upset. No worries about that!

                  The whole 37/37 match was not great in the first place. Wrong last name! LOL!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One last question.

                    What if anything can be assumed if two men have a 37/37 match on a Y-37?

                    Is it really as little as they simply had a common paternal ancestor as many as 1000 years ago?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Can you send me the kit number? I'd like to see the example of a 37/37 match that has completely fallen apart after upgrading further. I know people have said it can happen, I just haven't seen an example myself before.

                      Thanks!
                      Elise

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SparkyMc View Post
                        A perfect match at Y37
                        4 Markers off at Y67
                        Not a match at Y111?
                        Does one man or the other have a Null (0) at one of the markers in the 68-111 range? FTDNA's matching system does not always handle a Null value correctly. Typically, a Null value results from a single mutation, but FTDNA often treats it naively (arithmetically) as 12 or 14 or 20 single-step mutations.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          lg: I have no idea how to find out? Noobie over here!

                          PM sent with kit number.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just asking

                            Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
                            Does one man or the other have a Null (0) at one of the markers in the 68-111 range? FTDNA's matching system does not always handle a Null value correctly. Typically, a Null value results from a single mutation, but FTDNA often treats it naively (arithmetically) as 12 or 14 or 20 single-step mutations.
                            FTDNA documentation says that NULLs would be treated as difference of 1 (one), and only in the case of STR marker DYS439 it would be the arithmetical difference. FTDNA: How is genetic distance calculated for NULL values?

                            DYS439 is in the first panel of 12 STRs, so SparkyMc is not affected.

                            Do you have two kits that the current calculator evaluates differently?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dna View Post
                              Do you have two kits that the current calculator evaluates differently?
                              Yes, many. Here are a couple:

                              - #149610 has 0 at DYS572. FTDNA calculates his 67-marker distance from #64924 as 27 instead of 17.

                              - #192008 has 0 at DYS522. FTDNA calculates his 111-marker distance from #44482 as 29 instead of 19.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X