sorting out an NPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorting out an NPE

1. On 37 markers I match five other FTDNA testers at distances of 0, 1, 1, 2 and 3. All have the same family name. May I assume that the 0 man and I have the same MRCA, and perhaps we are first cousins roughly four times removed? The two 1 distance men may be as close or nearly as close to me also?

I do not share the same last name with these five men, and their MRCA is nowhere in my data. I suspect an NPE sometime between 1810 and 1820 involving my 2X great grandfather.

2. This 2X great grandfather (back to whom I am well documented) married a woman with the last name of these five men and that of their MRCA. It seems possible that he married a cousin, hopefully not his own sister, because these families were living in the same county. I understand that this close marriage might indicate the MRCA of the men above and mine is further back than it would appear. Is that correct?

3. The 0 distance man above tested to 67 markers. If I tested and matched him at 67 markers, would that narrow the time to our likely MRCA? Unfortunately, the 0 man above died fairly recently.

4. How likely am I ever to figure out how I am related to these five men?

Thanks,
    David

Lots of possibilities:

The lady he married with the same last name as these 5 men would share no yDNA with those men either as her brothers or cousins.

The lady you presume to be a cousin or sister of one of those 5 men may have divorced or more likely be widowed after being married to one of those men and that explains your y DNA match. Your 2xGrandfather then married a widow with at least 1 male child.

She as their sister or cousin might have well decided to adopt a son that one of the 5 brothers had as a respectable way to handle an unplanned pregnancy one of those 5 brothers / cousins may have caused out of wedlock. That happens more than you think as I had a Great Grandmother that did that multiple times in the 20th century. My aunt is raising her daughter's daughter. These type arrangement happens all the time.

And marriage of 1st and 2nd was still common in the USA until laws started being passed against it. That type of marriage is still common in the Old World of arranged marriages. Marriage of a brother and sister hasn't ever been legal in any jurisdiction or seen favorably by any culture that I read a bit about.

Comment

My husband and son no longer carry their biological surname due to a remarriage of their female ancestor and eventual use of the step-father's name by the entire family. yDNA testing has found a very distant connection to the biological surname, but a lot of other "unnrelated" names, many of which overlap with one another. All trace their MRCA to a circle about 40 miles around London. My husband's biological surname is Prior/Pryor, an occupational name associated with service in the church. In addition to the other Pryor (both came to the US, about 60 years apart from villages 15 miles from one another and settled in completely different states) the closest yDNA match is to an Abbott, another occupational church name.

I think it's significant that the others match you closely and trace to the same area as your ancestor, but I agree with the above poster that the most probable answer is that your gg-grandfather married a widow or divorcee with a male child. This would be a good time to check the local records to see if there is anything in the will records or orphan's court documents for your possible biological surname. In the end, standard research may hold the answer to your DNA challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by gilbertdh View Post
        1. On 37 markers I match five other FTDNA testers at distances of 0, 1, 1, 2 and 3. All have the same family name. May I assume that the 0 man and I have the same MRCA, and perhaps we are first cousins roughly four times removed? The two 1 distance men may be as close or nearly as close to me also?

I do not share the same last name with these five men, and their MRCA is nowhere in my data. I suspect an NPE sometime between 1810 and 1820 involving my 2X great grandfather.

2. This 2X great grandfather (back to whom I am well documented) married a woman with the last name of these five men and that of their MRCA. It seems possible that he married a cousin, hopefully not his own sister, because these families were living in the same county. I understand that this close marriage might indicate the MRCA of the men above and mine is further back than it would appear. Is that correct?

3. The 0 distance man above tested to 67 markers. If I tested and matched him at 67 markers, would that narrow the time to our likely MRCA? Unfortunately, the 0 man above died fairly recently.

4. How likely am I ever to figure out how I am related to these five men?

Thanks,
        David
        The Big-Y perhaps.

Comment

...or you could buy 15 Family Finder kits and get folks to test strategically [which includes the unique x-chromosome].

Bob H.

Comment

Working...
          X