mtdna testing versus y-dna testing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtdna testing versus y-dna testing??

I am a female, so I can only have mtdna testing. I did have my mtdna test done. My results for hvr1 are 16519C, which is European but really doesn't give me much more to work with. My hvr2 results has six mutations (263G,309.1C,315.1C,499A,524.1C,524.2A)with no matches. I don't know what the mutations mean or stand for? My haplogroup is H*, which really doesn't tell me much except that I am an H that does macth any known H subclades. So, my question is would having a male family member take the y-dna offer me any more information that I don't get from my mtdna. And if so should it be my father or one of my mother's brothers? Would having both be good? Also, would having my mtdna full sequence done give me any more info. or would I continue to get answers that don't give alot of info.

I was also wondering what y-dna haplogroup would be the closest to my H* mtdna haplogroup? Is there such a comparison? Also, what does having six mutations mean? Thanks.

Originally posted by 27115
    I am a female, so I can only have mtdna testing. I did have my mtdna test done. My results for hvr1 are 16519C, which is European but really doesn't give me much more to work with. My hvr2 results has six mutations (263G,309.1C,315.1C,499A,524.1C,524.2A)with no matches. I don't know what the mutations mean or stand for? My haplogroup is H*, which really doesn't tell me much except that I am an H that does macth any known H subclades. So, my question is would having a male family member take the y-dna offer me any more information that I don't get from my mtdna. And if so should it be my father or one of my mother's brothers? Would having both be good? Also, would having my mtdna full sequence done give me any more info. or would I continue to get answers that don't give alot of info.

I was also wondering what y-dna haplogroup would be the closest to my H* mtdna haplogroup? Is there such a comparison? Also, what does having six mutations mean? Thanks.
    Good morning 27115. Your mtDNa, your father's Y-DNA, and your mother's brothers' Y-DNA are all independent of each other. The Y-DNA tests might find interesting results, but will do nothing to explain your mtDNA. The Y tests would only be "close" to your mtDNA in the sense that they might be European. Having six mutations or rare mutations is good; if you find a match, you have probably found a relatively close relative.

Bill

Comment

If your father and your mother's brother took the Y-DNA test it would give you information about their male ancestry (your father's father's father, etc.) (your uncle's father's father's father, etc.). Considering these men are your own ancestors, too, it would definitely tell you about your own ancestry. But it wouldn't be related at all to your mtDNA because that's your mom's female line. Have you tried a search on mitosearch.org?

Comment

MITRO SEARCH IS GOOD
        but.............. WE NEED A DATABASE THEY AUTOMATIClY MATCHES
        519C/263G,309.1C,315.1C,499A,524.1C,524.2A WITH LOCATIONS

THIS IS DESPERATLY NEEDED

IT should show your gggrand mom was in frosinone italy with my wifes gggg

get that and we cook

Comment

DO YOU MATCH A DENNING

Comment

Working...
          X