Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tests are right for me?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this whole genealogic DNA thing, so please bear with me. I would appreciate any insight on what tests may help. First, I will explain my situation and my brick wall, and maybe you all can give me some insight on where to go from here.

First, I have a relative who came over to the US in 1780-1792. He came over from Northern Ireland (possibly). I have no records of him at all, with the exception of a few early records from a marriage he had here, a farm he had here, and records that he had children. I have no records of him back in Ireland, nor anyone with my surname.

What I would like to do is to find out where in Ireland my surname originated from. Historical surname records state County Cork, but we believe he came from Northern Ireland (not even near Cork County).

I was wondering if a YDNA test would be helpful to see who else has my last name and to determine their location. If I see many of them in a specific town in Ireland, then I could make a educated guess about what line I am from and the town I am from. While I would love to go back further with historical records, I would be satisfied with that, as that is the focus of my research.

What YDNA test should I get for going that far back? Should I get the 111?

In addition, we would love to know more about my maternal grandmothers mother, because no records really existed for her either. So would mtDNA help us with that too?

I have a 23andme account, which has not been very helpful so far in our search. We were able to identify some cousins, which has been great, but has not been able to help us with our questions. I know thats autosomal DNA and only goes back 5 generations or so. Should I repurchase the family finder on here, because it is autosomal and maybe part of a new database?

Thank you so much for any insight you can give,

-Marc

Marc, at this stage I would take the Y37 test to start with, keep costs low and see what that gives you.

Have you already looked to see if there is a project here for your surname?

Earl.
    Last edited by Earl Davis; 20 August 2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Earl,

Thank you so much for responding back. Yes, there is a DNA project with my last name on here, which is Gold/Gould.

I have decided to try the 37 and see where it goes. If I do not get enough matches, I will upgrade later.

Thanks again for all of your help!
      Last edited by mgold2102; 21 August 2014, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Marc,

Have you uploaded your 23andMe results to GEDmatch? If not I suggest you do so when they get back up, maybe next week. It will give you a way to compare your autosomal results with more people.

mtDNA matches can be so far back it might not be helpful. In my case very few of my matches have posted a GEDCOM and they don't respond to e-mails.

Comment

Originally posted by mgold2102 View Post
          Hi Earl,

Thank you so much for responding back. Yes, there is a DNA project with my last name on here, which is Gold/Gould.

I have decided to try the 37 and see where it goes. If I do not get enough matches, I will upgrade later.

Thanks again for all of your help!
          The 1901 Irish census is online and there are lots of people with the name Gould in Counties Antrim and Down in the north of Ireland.

Comment

I have a 23andme account....I know thats autosomal DNA

-Marc
            Marc,

23andme also provided you with a Y-DNA haplogroup which used the 2010 ISOGG nomenclature for most of them. If you want to know what your SNP is based on the 23andme test you can use the tools at http://blog.kittycooper.com/2014/04/...-dna-analysis/ to determine what it is.

Comment

There are a slew of folks just waiting to help you at:

http://www.irelandxo.com/

They were starting a DNA project but don't know where it is headed.

Bob

Comment

I know thats autosomal DNA and only goes back 5 generations or so.
                I have matches in the Low Countries and Nordfriesland that clearly originate from a common ancestral line that arrived in New Amsterdam. There was no later migration to the USA, and these relatives' lines all stayed in Europe. These matches are all 20Cm or more.

That means I am matching a proven ancestral family with a well documented history who I last had ancestral contact with 385 years ago, and at a fairly significant Cm..

While its true that you may not match someone who is a known, legit biological relative beyond the 4th or 5th generation, this is not a rule. You will match people who you are biologically related to far beyond the 5th generation, however in a lot, if not most, cases you wont have a common paper trail or be able to identify HOW you relate to them.

Comment

Working...
                X