Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me understand this?whats my REO

Recent Ethnic Origins

Welcome to the database of RECENT ETHNIC ORIGINS (REO). The results below show the ethnic origin of those you match or nearly match in the REO. The ethnic origin information is provided by each testee, and is only as accurate as the testee's knowledge. Testees are instructed to answer "Unknown Origin" when their ancestor's origin is uncertain or not known.

Incorrect origins provided by testees may lead to search results that do not seem logical. for example: Assume your ancestors are from England, but your search results show the ethnic origin of your matches as England, France, AND one match shows an origin of Native American. Does that mean that your ancestors relatives may have lived in England and France? Yes. Does it mean that your ancestor was also a Native American? No. This means that a settler in America had a child with a Native American woman, the child was brought up as a Native American, and that, over time, the family has "forgotten" the European ancestor, and believe their ancestry to be Native American.

Over the span of generations people tend to move, as do borders, so nationality or ethnicticity becomes subjective. for example, testees may enter Germany for ethnic origin, because the land of their ancestors is Germany today, but the land could have been held by Denmark for many centuries.

To see how your ethnic origin is recorded in our database, click on the link above entitled Update Contact Information. You may also update your paternal and maternal ethnic origin on the Update Contact Information page.

Exact matches show people who are the closest to you genetically. The Ethnic origin shows where they have reported to have lived. Since many persons migrated over the past few centuries, you will typically see matches in more than one country.

for information purposes, the Recent Ethnic Origin search also displays results for those who are near matches. A near match is either one step or two steps from your result. An exact match is 12/12 or 25/25. A one step match is 11/12 or 24/25 and the magnitude of the mismatch is 1. A two step match is 10/12 or 23/25 and the magnitude of both mismatches is 1, or it is 11/12 or 24/25 and the magnitude of the mismatch is 2. Near matches show where those who are distantly related to you have migrated over time.

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches

Exact Matches

Country (Number of Entries)
    Comment
    Your Matches

Canary Islands (31)
    -

England (6811)
    -

France (733)
    -

Germany (2662)
    -

Great Britain (420)
    -

Ireland (3240)
    -

New Zealand (15)
    -

Scotland (2805)
    -

Spain (637)
    -

United Kingdom (2165)
    -

One Step Mutations

Country (Number of Entries)
    Comment
    Your Matches

Africa (133)
    -

Australia (101)
    -

British Isles (323)
    -

Canada (113)
    -

England (6811)
    -

France (733)
    -

Germany (2662)
    -

Great Britain (420)
    -

Greece (153)
    -

Holland (60)
    -

Hungary (213)
    -

Ireland (3240)
    -

Ireland (3240)
    Northern

Italy (588)
    -

Lithuania (234)
    Ashkenazi

Netherlands (324)
    -

Norway (239)
    -

Polynesia (97)
    European admixture

Portugal (146)
    -

Prussia (86)
    -

Romania (158)
    -

Russia (1478)
    -

Scotland (2805)
    -

Sicily (58)
    -

Slovakia (135)
    -

Spain (637)
    -

Spain (637)
    Basque

Sweden (316)
    -

United Kingdom (2165)
    -

United States (797)
    -

Venezuela (6)
    -

Wales (492)
    -

Maybe time to repeat primary school percentage calculus again?

Percentage calculation:

(Number of exact hits / Total number of samples from a country) * 100

Repeat this for each country.

Comment

thanks

thats a little bit more than i can understand but ill try too figure it out as much as possible,it seems like my heritage is really mixed though?

Comment

You may very well have Suevi, or Gothic ancestry. My paper trail ends in Ulster around 1720. The surname is English/German/Frankish, and my test results seem to cluster in Portugal. Personally, I'm quite pleased with that.

Your surname is, BTW, Germanic.
        Hetware
        FTDNA Customer
        Last edited by Hetware; 18 January 2006, 11:07 PM.

Comment

yikes

well that sound unusal since ive read it is certainly of spainard decent i read it stands for rodrigo?or roderick in english Definition: A patronymic name meaning "son of Rodrigo." The "ez or es" added to the root signifies "descendant of." The given name Rodrigo is the Spanish form of Roderick, meaning "famous power," from the Germanic elements "hrod, fame and "ric," power. Surname Origin: Spanish
          i googled it for days and came up with the same so i wonder what i missed?as for the gothic part?well its nice to associate my heritage with something other than latino or mexican or if im in florida cuban,you see im always confused with tons of other races,even the one i felt closer too mexican since im very diffrent looking than mexican decents i always get asked if im even mexican at all?i have always assumed i was even though my father said his granfather was fully spainard and his mother half spainard but uncertain about other race
          ajrodriguez
          Last edited by ajrodriguez; 19 January 2006, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajrodriguez
            well that sound unusal since ive read it is certainly of spainard decent i read it stands for rodrigo?or roderick in english Definition: A patronymic name meaning "son of Rodrigo." The "ez or es" added to the root signifies "descendant of." The given name Rodrigo is the Spanish form of Roderick, meaning "famous power," from the Germanic elements "hrod, fame and "ric," power. Surname Origin: Spanish
            i googled it for days and came up with the same so i wonder what i missed?as for the gothic part?well its nice to associate my heritage with something other than latino or mexican or if im in florida cuban,you see im always confused with tons of other races,even the one i felt closer too mexican since im very diffrent looking than mexican decents i always get asked if im even mexican at all?i have always assumed i was even though my father said his granfather was fully spainard and his mother half spainard but uncertain about other race
            This site is typically pretty good. I would not consider it a final word on any of this. But the fact that Roderic was a Visigoth king of Spain is fairly reliable.

http://www.friesian.com/germania.htm

As far as what you look like, your Y-Chromosome will not really tell you a whole lot by itself. I have matches from many diverse populations. I have lots of matches from Latin America, England, Ireland, Scottland, Iceland, Sweden, Siberia, Cameroon, etc. When I looked up the people in Cameroon and saw pictures of people from the same population I have matches in, they looked really black. The people in Siberia look pretty much Asian.

You may want to play with this database as well.
            http://www.yhrd.org/index.html

Finally, bear in mind that the people of Spain, especially in the north, are very closely related to the rest of Western Europe.

Comment

hey

ok thanks guy ill give it a go,but in the mean time if anyone else might have some info just let me know please,and keep those site coming in i love reading about this stuff and sgaring them with my 10 year old daughter.

Comment

again

i still do not understand much of this if any,you see what i really want too know is what is consider your recent ethnic heritage,since im not very fond of this designation but have been associated many times with people of mexican heritage im intrested to know what makes me more of a certain heritage,and even though it doesnt matter much too me,im very curious on what to think.well for the most part my family isnt very inclined to refer theirselves with a certain race,except that they are texans and always have been.my mom does mention that she is of native american heritage on her mothers side and she believes its apache with doubts though.my grandmother says she was born somwhere in south texas maybe browsville and she says her parents were born there and the same would go for my grandfather who was born in 1917.ok

Comment

Some of my ancestry is from New Mexico. Many of the descendants of what is now New Mexico and Texas had ancestors who came from mainland Spain and (what is now) north central Mexico in the 16th and 17th centuries (with a bit of ancestry from French fur trappers, Canary Islanders and Portuguese immigrants from when Spain was united with Portugal between 1580 to about 1640). Many of these European men took Mexican Natives, Pueblo or various Plains Native American women as wives.
                  There isn't really any 'percentage' of ethnicities based on your test results. Your matches most likely come from 1 source, a man that lived hundreds of years ago, before the formation of the 'modern countries'. His descendants moved around alot, so you have these matches in these modern places today. It just means you have these very distant cousins living in these modern borders.
                  breakwater70
                  Last edited by breakwater70; 20 January 2006, 02:08 PM.

Comment

thanks

thank you very much for your information.

Comment

Working...
                    X