Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proving australian aboriginal Ancestry

Hello
    Have on good authority that an ancestor fathered children with an aboriginal woman[women] on kangaroo island ,south australia around 1820.
    The aboriginal women were kidnapped from mainland south australia and used as virtual slaves to the few sealers/whalers that were living on kangaroo island at the time.There has always been colour in my family.
    Did a family finder test and apparently we were looking for South Eastern Asia or Micronesia markers to show some aboriginal ancestry....none showed up.The ancester is 7 generations back[abt 1820]
    My question is...is it possible to lose markers of australian aboriginality in that time?
    Is there another type of test that could detect these other markers?
    Regards Tracey

Originally posted by mick47 View Post
    Hello
    Have on good authority that an ancestor fathered children with an aboriginal woman[women] on kangaroo island ,south australia around 1820.
    The aboriginal women were kidnapped from mainland south australia and used as virtual slaves to the few sealers/whalers that were living on kangaroo island at the time.There has always been colour in my family.
    Did a family finder test and apparently we were looking for South Eastern Asia or Micronesia markers to show some aboriginal ancestry....none showed up.The ancester is 7 generations back[abt 1820]
    My question is...is it possible to lose markers of australian aboriginality in that time?
    Is there another type of test that could detect these other markers?
    Regards Tracey
    I think you mean Melanesian, not Micronesian markers.

But going back to the 1820s or so, it may be possible to lose it. It depends, with randomness. If you know of other relatives descended from this supposed aboriginal woman, get them tested too. If there is someone in the generation before you, get them tested, better chances of it showing up.

Comment

Cant answer your first question.

Did you test the oldest family member, ie your parents/aunts/uncles or grandparents generation. They will have more of the autosomal DNA and stronger results?

You could try mtDNA if you have a direct unbroken female line from the woman concerned.
      eg the Aborignal woman, her daughter, her daughter etc..
      The final person can be male or female, as both have their mothers mtDNA, only that males do not pass it on to their children.

Comment

Hi,

There is Aboriginal on my Dad's direct maternal line, we proved this with mtDNA, he came out as haplogroup M42a which is onyl found in Aboriginals. That would make me 1.5% or 3% Aboriginal but nothing showed up resembling that in MyOrigins. I think the problem is there is no Aboriginal reference population. I am doing FF for my Dad as well so we'll see if anything shows up in that.

Comment

Thank you...this is a little frustrating
          Cant do mtDNA as the maternal line is broken.
          Cant get an older generation to do the test because of racism.
          Is there a deeper test anyone could recommend to do to find aboriginal markers or should it have come up already in the family finder test?
          Is there a list of haplogroups that only come up with aboriginal ancestry?
          ta

Comment

Originally posted by mick47 View Post
            Thank you...this is a little frustrating
            Cant do mtDNA as the maternal line is broken.
            Cant get an older generation to do the test because of racism.
            Is there a deeper test anyone could recommend to do to find aboriginal markers or should it have come up already in the family finder test?
            Is there a list of haplogroups that only come up with aboriginal ancestry?
            ta
            I can't answer your first few questions sorry. I just wish there was an accurate reference population for Australian aboriginals.
            Here is a visual for the haplogroups
            http://i47.tinypic.com/6ypjk8.jpg

Comment

ta everyone...all a bit confusing
              ta

Comment

aboriginal Mtdna

my understanding of mtdna, is that it shows up in an unbroken connection on the female line. Example where there are 7 generations back you would have to have unbroken line on your mother's side. If you are descended from one of the sons a couple of generations ago - no it wouldn't

My 2 brothers and myself show positive aboriginal markers.
                but their sons would not.
                My son would test positive for mtdna but his son would not, he would test for his mother's mtdna

My daughter's children would, but that grandson's children would not, my grand daughter's children would
                Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
                X