L21 or Z381?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L21 or Z381?

I tested at 23andme where I was listed as R1b1b2a1a2f* which I think is R-L21*
    I transferred my autosomal data to FTDNA.
    I tested at FTDNA Ydna to 67 markers. FTDNA says I am R-Z381.
    What was used to determine I am R-Z381? Only my Ydna test or also my transferred autosomal?
    Why would there be a difference?

23andMe raw data doesn't include the 67 STRs you had tested by FTDNA. Your haplogroup was predicted by FTDNA based on whatever criteria they use, but they didn't consider your 23andMe raw data for that.

It is unusual that 23andMe has you as L21 and FTDNA as Z381, since they're on different branches. 23andMe is probably correct, since they actually tested SNPs and presumably you are L21+, while FTDNA is only predicting.

Since you have 67 markers tested at FTDNA, check the 66th marker, DYS492. If you have 12 for that marker, you're almost certainly on the branch that L21 is on and if you have 13 for that marker, you're almost certainly on the branch that Z381 is on.

What's your marker count for DYS492?

Comment

DYS492 = 12

At GD 5 on my 67 ydna test is a Z381. There are a number of people with the same surname (not mine) at GD 5, 6, and 7. Was my Z381 called because of their match?

Comment

Originally posted by 262585 View Post
        DYS492 = 12

At GD 5 on my 67 ydna test is a Z381. There are a number of people with the same surname (not mine) at GD 5, 6, and 7. Was my Z381 called because of their match?
        Probably yes. FTDNA uses close matches who've been SNP-tested as the basis for predicting your haplogroup. I believe that FTDNA uses your matches at 37 markers for their predictions. So, they don't take DYS492 values into account, which they should.

Since you have DYS492=12, FTDNA's prediction of Z381 is probably wrong. About 95% of men with DYS492=12 are U106- and Z381 is downstream of U106. As I mentioned in my previous post, since 23andMe tested SNPs, they are not predicting. Your haplogroup is L21.

The best thing to do is join the R L21 and Subclades Project at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/. They should let you join based on your 23andMe results. They can advise you on testing for SNPs downstream from L21, if you're interested in that.

Comment

Working...
        X