MDLP What does Caucasian mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDLP What does Caucasian mean?

I understand that it refers to the Caucasus region but since I have no known ancestry from that area, I'm wondering what part of my more recent ancestry this might be a component of. My known ancestry is British (English, Scottish, and Scots-Irish), Italian, German, and Norwegian. Could Caucasus be a part of any/all of these and therefore there's no way to tell (sort of like 23andMe does a "Broadly European") or could it most likely be a part of one or the other?

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
    I understand that it refers to the Caucasus region but since I have no known ancestry from that area, I'm wondering what part of my more recent ancestry this might be a component of. My known ancestry is British (English, Scottish, and Scots-Irish), Italian, German, and Norwegian. Could Caucasus be a part of any/all of these and therefore there's no way to tell (sort of like 23andMe does a "Broadly European") or could it most likely be a part of one or the other?
    Caucasian is fairly close to West Asian (Turkey and the Caucasus). It could have gotten to Europe through many routes, e.g. the spread of agriculture and other forms of trade. Have you tried Gedmatch. Does it show any west Asian Oracle matches

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
      Caucasian is fairly close to West Asian (Turkey and the Caucasus). It could have gotten to Europe through many routes, e.g. the spread of agriculture and other forms of trade. Have you tried Gedmatch. Does it show any west Asian Oracle matches
      That's what I'm using for MDLP - these are all my results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...T_cAj4/pubhtml

Comment

That's what I'm using for MDLP - these are all my results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...T_cAj4/pubhtml
        Sorry, I mis -understood your original point. Your results show a likely neolithic path. There were two main routes and either one could have reached central Europe. One route was maritime from Turkey to Greece to Italy. Another route went from the Black Sea up the Danube. Roman expansion could point to any area of continental Europe.

Comment

Interesting, thanks - so unlikely to be Norwegian then?

Comment

Interesting, thanks - so unlikely to be Norwegian then?
            Never say never. My kids have both Norwegian and Caucasian ancestry.

Comment

thanks for everything....

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
                Germanica shows her maternal grandmother's haplogroup as T2b. My mother (H5, not T2b) has X-DNA matches with over thirty T2b's using GEDmatch's default parameters. I see a way that Germanica's Caucasian may have gotten to Europe within the last 300 years if anyone is interested.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

The component in MDLP is made up from his dataset and his methodology and it is a component that all Europeans have. If the dataset were more robust or the methodology looked are more inferred younger distinctions between populations the component would be reported at a much different rate but so would the other components. As you can see with all of the MDLP and Eurogenes tests that as more components are used the Caucasus component is reduced and therefore portions of Caucasus are assigned to other components.

A recent paper by Jones et al. that tested ancient DNA results showed "that Caucasus hunter-gatherers (CHG) belong to a distinct ancient clade that split from western hunter-gatherers ~45 kya, shortly after the expansion of anatomically modern humans into Europe and from the ancestors of Neolithic farmers ~25 kya, around the Last Glacial Maximum. CHG genomes significantly contributed to the Yamnaya steppe herders who migrated into Europe ~3,000 BC, supporting a formative Caucasus influence on this important Early Bronze age culture. CHG left their imprint on modern populations from the Caucasus and also central and south Asia possibly marking the arrival of Indo-Aryan languages." So some of the Caucasus component is from Yamnaya related ancestors of Europeans.

Comment

Working...
                  X